I just got back from the dealer yesterday for my 20,000 mile service. I was shocked when I was quoted a price... $450.00! I said that was at least twice the cost of the 10,000 service. He said it requires a lot more now. Since I had driven for three hours I went ahead and had it done. When I got the bill and they had changed the brake fluid, some filters and the oil. Does this car need the brake fluid changed at 20,000??? They also did some computer upgrades but that would have been warranty work I would think. They said the next service would also be $450, then the 40,000  and 50,000 would be less then the 60,000 would be more than $450.00.

Needless to say unless something brakes my car won't be going back to the dealer. I will find out what is needed and do it myself from now on.

Views: 2313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that is a lot more than the dealer in UT. They are very fair.
Wow, your dealership must be attached to a Penske Mercedes dealer too... At least the coffee and furniture are top rate in the waiting room...
Yep. I was shocked abount mine too. But at least you don't have to go there every 5000 miles like you would if you owned Yaris.... Cost was about the same for my (gone now) Toyota Yaris except for Yaris I had to pay twice as often (every 5k miles instead of every 10k miles as on Smart).

Toyota dealer was pretending to measure the wear on breaks until I caught them that the earlier wear was measured as higher then the wear measured 5k miles and two months later.
I did most of the 20K service myself, except for the brake fluid change. Filters and such probably made up most of the price, Brake fluid change cost me about $100. Now that I'm out of the warranty period, I'll be doing almost all the work myself.
Sounds like you are quite a distance from any dealer. I shopped around and did find a dealer about 90 minutes further away that was $100 cheaper. Now that I am out of warranty I think I will either be doing the work myself or finding a local who is willing to do it. Not sure what being a Penske dealer has to do with price, but I agree that the local Penske dealer is much more.
I didn't realize as I sat in on that leather couch sipping complimentary hot chocolate watching the flat screen that they had made off with my wallet!

Robert Stout said:
Wow, your dealership must be attached to a Penske Mercedes dealer too... At least the coffee and furniture are top rate in the waiting room...
... I don't remember my 20,000 mile service costing quite that much.... but then again i was also told that the 30,000 mile service is probably the most expensive of them.
I doubled checked the cost I paid for the 20K and 30K at the smartcenter in Lindon, UT. The 20K was $289.00 and the 30K was $254.00 (yes lower). I had thought of doing the work my self but these rates I'd let them do it. Maybe my dealer is keeping their service busy by keeping rates that are affordable. If so, I'm all for it.
WOW! I thought you were kidding until I actually went to the link... Fortunately the last tank was 42.46 mpg.

Larry Butler said:
"Needless to say unless something brakes (sic) my car won't be going back to the dealer. I will find out what is needed and do it myself from now on."
========================================================
You'll probably want to RENT the Pay-Per-View service manual from Penske for $450/year:

http://owners.smartusa.com/Subscription_Plans.aspx

All major credit cards accepted. Pony up!
I have done all of the service myself. Spark Plugs were Easy, Oil is Easy and filter changes are simple. I didn't do the Brake Fluid. It was tested at 20K and it was fine. I will test it when I get my snow tires on.
My smart Service center did my 10K service, Since then regular maintenance has been done by me. I held off on the Brake Fluid change because that is more of a time based thing, rather than Mileage based.
I'm coming close to 50K now, I have changed all the filters, Oil, and Plugs. I had the Service center do the Brake Fluid change close to the 2 year mark when it was in for something else. I didn't want to mess with anything related to the brakes, that is outside my comfort level.

And thats how this whole thing works. You pay for what you are not willing to research and do yourself. If your not willing to do the work, then you need to pay someone else to do it. And why should a MB tech get paid any less just because you drove into their shop with a smart rather than a Mybech. Same guy, same training, same shop.

If the cost is to high, learn to DIY more. It's only every 10K.
Here it is in web form
http://owners.smartusa.com/Maintenance_Schedule.aspx

smartRRparts said:
Here's the Maintenance schedule in PDF form...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service