I just got back from the dealer yesterday for my 20,000 mile service. I was shocked when I was quoted a price... $450.00! I said that was at least twice the cost of the 10,000 service. He said it requires a lot more now. Since I had driven for three hours I went ahead and had it done. When I got the bill and they had changed the brake fluid, some filters and the oil. Does this car need the brake fluid changed at 20,000??? They also did some computer upgrades but that would have been warranty work I would think. They said the next service would also be $450, then the 40,000  and 50,000 would be less then the 60,000 would be more than $450.00.

Needless to say unless something brakes my car won't be going back to the dealer. I will find out what is needed and do it myself from now on.

Views: 2464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

24mm socket for the oil drain plug

Carl said:

Filter Fram PH6607 $6.99, Mobil 1, 1 gallon 19.95 both at Pep Boys. 15/16" Socket
Skychef said:
Hi all, could someone give me the size socket needed to remove the oil plug and drain the oil?? Found a site in CA. oil filters $8.95. Cost me $68 bucks + tax last oil change.

I just got a quote for $410 from Loeber...

This site sez it should be 100 cheaper

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/results.html?year=2009&m...

I'm out of warranty, and just had my oil changes 2000 miles ago'

I think I'll pass and have my guy do the brake fluid change

Since that Edmunds page also list "automatic transmission fluid" I'm not sure it's 100% reliable.  The dealerships set the price, not Edmunds or even M-B USA - unfortunately.  Lots of discussion on the brake fluid - the two year interval seems to be a European thing.  There are test strips for the brake fluid - as long as it's OK why change it?

Richard Kelley4 said:

my last car never had a brake fluid change, 9 years and 36,000 miles, changed the rotors, they were glazed. i'm just shy of 4 years and have 35,000 miles on my smart, will have the brake fluid and coolant changed at 40,000 miles.  had the cabin filter, oil and spark plugs done at 30,000 miles. outside of a faulty brake switch 3 years ago, i'm happy and trouble free (oil changes every 6,000 miles). 20,000 for brake fluid is insane on any vehicle, an 1800 pound smart car barely uses brakes! if you drive really smart, you anticipate traffic, let the smart downshift automatically and engine brake.  i'll get my 40,000 mile service at bergstroms in milwaukee. if i need smart specific service, i'll try st charles. tired of loeber, insane prices and commute.

jwight said:

Since that Edmunds page also list "automatic transmission fluid" I'm not sure it's 100% reliable.  The dealerships set the price, not Edmunds or even M-B USA - unfortunately.  Lots of discussion on the brake fluid - the two year interval seems to be a European thing.  There are test strips for the brake fluid - as long as it's OK why change it?

Richard Kelley4 said:

the smart is a different beast. it's an automated manual with an automatic clutch. mercedes specifies some weird fluid that is drawn from an extinct bird that costs $400 per ounce. i have no idea what's going to happen when mercedes partners with renault. god help us all!

Just my 2 cents, dealers are the same character as politicians. They lie!!!
I have an 08 with 40k, I change my own oil with Mobil 1 $ 8.00 @ qt. The filter is off the shelf at $ 4.00.
I have not had the brake fluid changed or any brake work at all actually. I did change the air filter on the last oil change. I am looking at a new set of tires, that’s about it. Do not fall for all that crap the dealer try’s to sell you. If you can`t change your own oil, Jiffy Lube, $ 69.00

If you check all the various maintenance schedules on the smart USA site there is zero (as in none) requirement to change the transmission oil.  Maybe after 120K miles, but that won't be an issue for most of us.

james g said:

jwight said:

Richard Kelley4 said:

the smart is a different beast. it's an automated manual with an automatic clutch. mercedes specifies some weird fluid that is drawn from an extinct bird that costs $400 per ounce. i have no idea what's going to happen when mercedes partners with renault. god help us all!

i might look into changing the tranny fluid at 60 or 70,000 miles, so in another 3 or 4 years.  i was behind a girl in the mickey d's drive thru today, she was in a blue smart from car max. i waved  :)

I'd recommend using a six point 24mm socket and a long 'Breaker bar' wrench or a pipe over a regular wrench to prevent rounding off the bolt (12 point socket can slip off). I've helped two smart owners DIY the oil and filter including on spice. Four OC's done so far. 

MJB 

Gregory Tripp said:

Carl said:

Filter Fram PH6607 $6.99, Mobil 1, 1 gallon 19.95 both at Pep Boys. 15/16" Socket
Skychef said:
Hi all, could someone give me the size socket needed to remove the oil plug and drain the oil?? Found a site in CA. oil filters $8.95. Cost me $68 bucks + tax last oil change.

thx jax, you do need a breaker bar because you can`t get a good grip unless you have a lift.I go 5k on a change.

spicejax said:

I'd recommend using a six point 24mm socket and a long 'Breaker bar' wrench or a pipe over a regular wrench to prevent rounding off the bolt (12 point socket can slip off). I've helped two smart owners DIY the oil and filter including on spice. Four OC's done so far. 

MJB 

Gregory Tripp said:

Carl said:

Skychef said:

wow i was wondering what it would cost    hubby not going to be too happy.  if we do the work ourselves does that not void the warranty

In short, no.  Just document what you did, with receipts for the materials you bought (just to be on the super safe side.)  There is no requirement to have the service done at a smart center, although Mercedes would certainly appreciate the business.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service