I just got back from the dealer yesterday for my 20,000 mile service. I was shocked when I was quoted a price... $450.00! I said that was at least twice the cost of the 10,000 service. He said it requires a lot more now. Since I had driven for three hours I went ahead and had it done. When I got the bill and they had changed the brake fluid, some filters and the oil. Does this car need the brake fluid changed at 20,000??? They also did some computer upgrades but that would have been warranty work I would think. They said the next service would also be $450, then the 40,000  and 50,000 would be less then the 60,000 would be more than $450.00.

Needless to say unless something brakes my car won't be going back to the dealer. I will find out what is needed and do it myself from now on.

Views: 2325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For what it's worth...I just had my two-year, 20,000 mile maintenance completed at my dealership (Loeber Mtrs in Linconwood, Illinois). I only have 10,000 miles on my two-year old car. They did the full service less an air filter as I had previously installed a reusable K&N filter, so it saved me $35.00.

labor: $210.00
parts: $118.06
misc environmental charges: $16.87
tax $12.81
Total: $358.64
this is what they did...
oil filter (12.60)
seal ring (5.07)
oil (Mobil-1) @ 7.10 per qt (28.40)
combination filter (39.88)
transmitter battery (14.12)
brake fluid replacement (15.00)
windshield washer solvent (2.89)
car wash (no charge)
With this while I waited I had for free, 2 cups of coffee and a bagel.
Waiting time was about two hours.
Just dropped my car off. I was quoted $470, plus and additional $130 to rotate the tires. Unfortunately I was too stunned to object. . And it isn't a question of being able to afford it. I can afford it, I just choose not to throw my money down the toilet. My Honda maintenance is rarely over $150. Given the fact I would rather not do the work myself, I have no problem paying someone else to do it, but this is completely out of line with work actually done. We are in fact paying for the 'Mercedes' overhead. To charge Mercedes prices to a smart car lifestyle is ludicrous. And the saddest thing, as much as I love my Smart, this really sort of makes me question whether we will continue to be in the Smart family.
Victoria, Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely right. I love my smart car and couldn't part with it but I won't be paying for service like that again. We had a local garage that was doing the service for our smarts but it burned down a few weeks ago. I will have to check with them when they finish rebuilding or I will do it myself. That price to rotate the tires is way out of line. It should take a garage about 10 minutes to rotate the tires on a smart. They probably already have it up in the air. At that rate their shop rate must be $780 an hour! Heck, around here most garages will rotate your tires for free with an oil change!
Not to add to your anger, but I was informed that unless you have changed the original tires to a different style/size on your Smart car, you do not need to rotate them. Still, when you consider what you paid (even thought I agree it was a bit stiff), that's not bad for a year's maintenance...$1.28 per day.

Victoria Taub said:
Just dropped my car off. I was quoted $470, plus and additional $130 to rotate the tires. Unfortunately I was too stunned to object. . And it isn't a question of being able to afford it. I can afford it, I just choose not to throw my money down the toilet. My Honda maintenance is rarely over $150. Given the fact I would rather not do the work myself, I have no problem paying someone else to do it, but this is completely out of line with work actually done. We are in fact paying for the 'Mercedes' overhead. To charge Mercedes prices to a smart car lifestyle is ludicrous. And the saddest thing, as much as I love my Smart, this really sort of makes me question whether we will continue to be in the Smart family.
Bert makes a good point. The rear and front tires are two different sizes so cannot be rotated. Maybe Victoria meant exchanging right side tires to left side and vice versa? I don't think Smart's owners manual makes any reference to tire rotations at all. Hmmm... it's downstairs on my kitchen table. Perhaps I should check into it.
Hi all, could someone give me the size socket needed to remove the oil plug and drain the oil?? Found a site in CA. oil filters $8.95. Cost me $68 bucks + tax last oil change.
That is OUTRAGEOUS! I just had my 20K done last week - $203. But then - I go to smart Bloomfield, MI
All you need to know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teH0ZCO2oXY

I just spent $35 for oil and filter. Will be changing it again soon at 50,000

24mm Socket

Skychef said:
Hi all, could someone give me the size socket needed to remove the oil plug and drain the oil?? Found a site in CA. oil filters $8.95. Cost me $68 bucks + tax last oil change.

Thanks Forest for the info
Forest said:
All you need to know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teH0ZCO2oXY

I just spent $35 for oil and filter. Will be changing it again soon at 50,000

24mm Socket

Skychef said:
Well, They called it 'rotate and align' which I would guess is coded for the mercedes side. Given the fact I can still drive my car, it is assumed they merely changed tires right and left. They recommended it, so it ticks me off if it isn't recommended by Smart. Hmmm, shame on me for being not better informed. I'll start reading up on this stuff now.

Joe Dumm said:
Bert makes a good point. The rear and front tires are two different sizes so cannot be rotated. Maybe Victoria meant exchanging right side tires to left side and vice versa? I don't think Smart's owners manual makes any reference to tire rotations at all. Hmmm... it's downstairs on my kitchen table. Perhaps I should check into it.

Filter Fram PH6607 $6.99, Mobil 1, 1 gallon 19.95 both at Pep Boys. 15/16" Socket
Skychef said:
I had exactly the same issue with the Mercedes-Benz in Sugar Land, TX. Two months ago I took it in for 20,000 miles service and they quoted $450 for me. As it turns out, they are charging significantly on parts and materials. I asked them to use my oil and oil filter and the charge came out to less than $35 (labor). I declined to have anything other than the oil change. Now I am approaching 30,000 miles and no issues. I recommend that you shop around or learn how to do some of the maintenance yourself. As for getting a manual for your smart, word is that MB doesn't like to release that sort of information to private individuals or non-MB service reps.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service