You may have seen this survey mentioned on the main page; if you've seen it what do you think about the options offered?  How about the locations?  The event in Kansas City went well because there were two enthusiastic smart centers willing to pitch in to make it a success, as well as a strong owners club (MO-KAN smartclub) to provide a pool of volunteers.  I'm not sure the same situation exists in St. Louis and Denver.  The largest groups of owners are on the east and west coasts - would it make more sense to have an event on each coast the next time around (as the Mini owners do) with a single national event every three years or so?

What are your thoughts?

Tags: nationals

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can see it either way; Denver was one of the choices and it appears St Louis is the furthest east in the options.  The three year mark centrally would be in 2013 with the current regional events already scheduled for 2011; nothing yet for 2012; maybe east and west can do one on their coast in 2012 and the central one in 2013?   There was discussion on SCoA a while back about this same issue.  There is an email address in the post and on the survey.
I was wondering how LaVista Ne got on the list?  That is my dealer, but I am not sure what the attractioni of Omaha is?

So Omaha has nothing to offer?

Abbe Stewart said:

I was wondering how LaVista Ne got on the list?  That is my dealer, but I am not sure what the attractioni of Omaha is?

Woah, wait - Omaha has TONS to offer!!!

Henry Doorly Zoo is one of the nation's best!  Historic Old Market Area... College World Series... Joslyn Art Museum... Durham Museum... several vineyards in the area... Lauritzen Gardens (which has an enthusiastic smart owner on staff!)... scenic highways through the bluffs for drives... cultural centers... Film Streams and many art galleries...  Omaha would make an awesome location for a centralized rally!

Ok I will try this again.  Omaha is ok, yes we have a dynamic zoo, but I guess what I meant to ask was how did LaVista Ne get on the list.  It is almost in the middle of the country so no one could claim it wasn't centrall located. No matter where it is, I would be willing to help out. 

Now about two events, chosen geographically and spaced six months apart  to coincide with weather?

Say, Floriday in winter, and Denver in Summer?

Or San Diego, and Minneapolis?

Or Philadelphia and Tucson?

Aristocrat did a great job of putting on a dinner, but if we can count on smart USA to provide event organizational funding, having a local dealer is not a key element. Helpful, but I travel to see interesting places, not repair shops.

Cheers, Bob

Bob,

I saw in the survey there were regional events between the years of the National event was to occur. In 2011, I am aware there are major events in FL in February, PA Poconos in June, WI Dells in June, Dragon event in NC in Sept, and out west they recently did the Hoover Dam and smartmadness has over 60 smarts coming to their coffee and open house this month. I am waiting for someone to put together another Lombard Street photo op like they did in 2008.

Bob Storck said:

Now about two events, chosen geographically and spaced six months apart  to coincide with weather?

Say, Floriday in winter, and Denver in Summer?

Or San Diego, and Minneapolis?

Or Philadelphia and Tucson?

Aristocrat did a great job of putting on a dinner, but if we can count on smart USA to provide event organizational funding, having a local dealer is not a key element. Helpful, but I travel to see interesting places, not repair shops.

Cheers, Bob

Smiley   any other ideas on locations and when? 2012 or 2013?  

IH8OPEC said:

Racist? Are you out of your MIND? Read it again you liberal f[_]cktard!

Illegal border crossers can be anyone not just a certain race!

jwight said:

Here's a thought; you pick a city and tell the rest of when you'll be there.  That way we can all be somewhere else... 

PS - what you offered is not a suggestion, just the usual racist diatribe with no place in this thread. 

IH8OPEC said:

jwight said:

Brilliant response; why am I not surprised.... :(

No I’m not a PC lib!

You asked for a suggestion and I offered one! It doesn’t necessarily have to be McAllen, it could be anywhere along the southern border really! Besides it beats the heck out of sitting around a smart stealership singing Kumbayah in a city with no attractions like KC. NTM the chances for buckets O’ rain like last year would be minimal.

The choices offered so far are: Being beaten, robbed and stabbed in Philly, being carried away by a 747 sized mosquito in Minneapolis or oxygen deprivation in Denver.  (Although most smart owners already carry their own O2 supply so that may not be an issue.)

BTW: If it’s to be San Diego or Tucson please see my original suggestion! Unfortunately it’s already too late for Cuba north err... Florida!

JEEZ, kids ... lighten up and be helpful.

The aptly named IHATE guy seems that he isn't going to be happy with anywhere, so forget any good ideas from him.

I've lived in EVERY corner of the country and most in between, and the locale is what you make of it. Often it's the journey that's the pleasure.

The BIG thing is coming up with a group that will take on the thankless task of putting an event together.

Cheers, Bob

btw - anyone who can't have a good time in KC is a sad case. It's full of more history, culture, vistas and entertainment in a small area than most any place I've been ... and it's all affordable!

Well said.  The group the does "take on the thankless task" will have ONE national smart event to relate to and hopefully will be able to use that experience for improvements to the next one. The initial challenges I see will be picking the best location and the best time to get the best outcome against the economy and slow smart sales. There is a core group nationwide of owner enthusiasts. Will some of them step up to the "thankless task"? 

Bob Storck said:

The BIG thing is coming up with a group that will take on the thankless task of putting an event together.

Hello, I don't really care where it is.  My wife and I had such a great time meeting people from all over the U.S. (and Canada) that we will go no matter where you decide.  The group in K.C. did a great job and I know they said it was a lot of work.  We won a new paint job out of the trip from Green Bay! (SuperBowl Champs by the way)  So let me know what you all decide, I have my MDC cruise control and arm rest(Smart Maddness) and we are ready to go................
Hi Jamie - congrats on the new panel color!  Glad you enjoyed the KC Nationals and are up for another one.

Jamie Cornwell said:
Hello, I don't really care where it is.  My wife and I had such a great time meeting people from all over the U.S. (and Canada) that we will go no matter where you decide.  The group in K.C. did a great job and I know they said it was a lot of work.  We won a new paint job out of the trip from Green Bay! (SuperBowl Champs by the way)  So let me know what you all decide, I have my MDC cruise control and arm rest(Smart Maddness) and we are ready to go................

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service