Is it automatic or manual? How does this work? What are the paddle shifters?

Views: 2163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul- It is "automatic" for all intents and purposes. If memory serves the actual trannny is manual with an electronic shifting mechanism.

Actual driving is in one of 3 modes: release the shifter and put it into D and it is a full 5 speed automatic. Once in D you can move the shifter to the left and move the shift lever forward and back- to shift up and down. Also in this mode you can paddle shift/ The paddles are two levers, one on either side of the steering wheel, that move the transmission up and down. In no event is there a "clutch" as in clutch pedal. In the "manual" mode, whether paddles or shifter, when you brake the car will downshift automatically. It will only upshift when you use the shifter or paddles except in automatic mode.

Easier than it sounds- really.
There is no clutch pedal - the clutch is operated by the computer electrically. In 'D' the car will shift as early as possible to conserve gas but some people feel that the engine is 'lugging" (another good reason to use premium). In manual mode you control the shift points within reason. If you step on the brake the car will still shift on its own and idle. After 7 months of driving the car has yet to stall - what the younger generation will miss!

If you are very familiar with manuals then a word of advice is to not compensate on the gas when the car shifts - just leave your foot on the gas as is - more gas to go faster and less gas to go slower. I used to ease up on the gas as the car was shifting causing the car to 'dip' or 'buck'. Got to unlearn old habits...
I have an '09 cabbro. It seems to dip more with "foot on the gas" then when I let up on it. I can find documentation on CV transmissions but so far none on smart car trannys. I would like to read up on it if any one knows where io find more info. Thanks

Stuart Berman said:
There is no clutch pedal - the clutch is operated by the computer electrically. In 'D' the car will shift as early as possible to conserve gas but some people feel that the engine is 'lugging" (another good reason to use premium). In manual mode you control the shift points within reason. If you step on the brake the car will still shift on its own and idle. After 7 months of driving the car has yet to stall - what the younger generation will miss!

If you are very familiar with manuals then a word of advice is to not compensate on the gas when the car shifts - just leave your foot on the gas as is - more gas to go faster and less gas to go slower. I used to ease up on the gas as the car was shifting causing the car to 'dip' or 'buck'. Got to unlearn old habits...
YIKES..!!! "GET-RAG" Tranny in E-Smart...<:-((
http://www.getrag.de/media/0000001417.pdf
Getrag Gearbox
Who?, what? and why on earth did they do that?
http://www.evilution.co.uk/306

Getrag press release

Looks like it will be a Getrag electric drive train with two speed transmission

Getrag site

Jim Yedor said:
Paul- It is "automatic" for all intents and purposes. If memory serves the actual trannny is manual with an electronic shifting mechanism.

Actual driving is in one of 3 modes: release the shifter and put it into D and it is a full 5 speed automatic. POnce in D you can move the shifter to the left and move the shift lever forward and back- to shift up and down. Also in this mode you can paddle shift/ The paddles are two levers, one on either side of the steering wheel, that move the transmission up and down. In no event is there a "clutch" as in clutch pedal. In the "manual" mode, whether paddles or shifter, when you brake the car will downshift automatically. It will only upshift when you use the shifter or paddles except in automatic mode.

Easier than it sounds- really.

Just one addition: after the 2009 software update you can actually use the paddle shifters without physically moving the stick shift lever over. Then, when you hold the hostler paddle for about 2 seconds it will go back into automatic mode.

Also: the car will upshift in manual mode once the revs get too high. For example: a little over 70 mph in 3rd and it will automatically upshift into 4th.
If a Getrag automated trans mission is good enough for Ferrari, it is good enough for my Smart.... :)

Brabus007 said:
Getrag Gearbox
Who?, what? and why on earth did they do that?
http://www.evilution.co.uk/306

Here is the Getrag PDF

And the photo:

Attachments:
Getrag press release for BEV
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos