Anyone got any idea what speeds are the most efficient with the smart. With my Chrysler it shifts to a higher gear at 37 mph and 47 mph. I only assume that these speeds are the most efficient.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gordon,

I'm not sure but I found that if I shift up when the arrow appears on the dashboard, it seems like I get the best gas mileage. This is much earlier than I prefer to shift, but that seems to be best for MPG.
Each car has it's own "best" speed as it's based on the engine size, torque, gearing, etc. I just let me smart shift for me unless I'm going up a long steep hill.
I would have to assume that the best gas mileage would be achieved at the speed when the car shifts into fifth. For my car, on a level road, that seems to be about 45 MPH.

I would guess that 45-50 MPH on a level road over a long distance would yield some pretty awesome MPG. Unfortunately, it's hard to find that kind of situation.

On a related topic...I have noticed on long highway trips that the engine labors MUCH less below 65 MPH than above 65 MPH. I've made it a habit to set my cruise at about 64 MPH. Otherwise, even small hills cause the transmission to downshift. It's relaxing to ride in the right lane at 64 MPH anyway!
Guy H said:
I would have to assume that the best gas mileage would be achieved at the speed when the car shifts into fifth. For my car, on a level road, that seems to be about 45 MPH.

I would guess that 45-50 MPH on a level road over a long distance would yield some pretty awesome MPG. Unfortunately, it's hard to find that kind of situation.

On a related topic...I have noticed on long highway trips that the engine labors MUCH less below 65 MPH than above 65 MPH. I've made it a habit to set my cruise at about 64 MPH. Otherwise, even small hills cause the transmission to downshift. It's relaxing to ride in the right lane at 64 MPH anyway!
I have heard that 62 m.p.h. seems to be the SWEET SPOT.
I don't have a scan gauge, but tiis is what I have heard.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service