Just wondering if people are purchasing a smart as their one and only car for year round, all season driving. Or, do they use the smart as a second car?

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Michael, my smart will be my main vehicle unless I'm on my scooter. I'm keeping my grand marquis (180K miles) for when I need to carry more than one passenger but it's been parked since I picked up my Smart on Dec 6. It does seem excessive for one person to have three vehicles but they are paid for and who wants the marquis in today's market?
Used as my main vehicle. Replaced a 95 Corsica which, still runs great. I am in outside sales and drive 450-500+ miles a week and the Smart is paying for itself. Also own a 97 Suburban. Still use that for pulling the trash trailer and when the wife and I decide to let someone else (kids) go with us. We love our orphan so much, that when our reserved car comes in we plan to be a two Smart family. Mine also did great in the last snow and ice storm we had here in western Kentucky. 3-4"s of mixed ice and snow and it was almost fun to watch all the SUVs and cars around me slip sliding away, and me (after I got used to the traction control) just cruising along almost worry free.
We have 3 other Jeeps but they are my hubby and sons, I had a H3 (lease) and it went back a couple weeks ago, so my SMART is my only mode of transportation. I drive it all the time, we have had it since June 06, 2008 and almost 11k miles in it.
MIssy, I am curious what your thoughts were on the H3? I almost purchased one of them UNTIL I discovered that it was a 3/4 ton Chevrolet Chassis with a different body sitting on top of it. I wanted the ground clearance and all the features of a "true" Hummer, and they only provided a similar look, a look that I could have duplicated by purchasing a Jeep for a lot less money. They gave me one to "test" for a few days, but I just could not bring myself to justify the cost, so I passed on it. I have actually seen an H3 dealership close, but I have seen Dodge dealerships close as well. This is a really tough time to be in the auto business, unless you are a smart dealership. All that they receive are either sold when they come in or on the waiting list that the dealerships have.
I went from stay-at-home mom ('00 Odyssey w/120K mi) to working mother (smart '09 cabrio w/11 mi) last year. Still have the kids, so I'm keeping the van, but I got the smart because I felt silly driving a big empty van to work every day. Also, we get some very icy roads in northern VA, so I plan to drive the van because if I get into a fender bender I would rather mess up the van than the smart!
My Smart is my main car and i drive it everywhere i go. I traded in a 2001 Chevy Malibu that was a gas hog and a Piece of crap overall. I have 6092 on my buddy now and it is still a hoot to drive, especailly when it is shared with a deserving passenger.
Reply by JIM AND JACKIE LINTON on December 22, 2008 at 12:27pm
MIssy, I am curious what your thoughts were on the H3? I almost purchased one of them UNTIL I discovered that it was a 3/4 ton Chevrolet Chassis with a different body sitting on top of it. I wanted the ground clearance and all the features of a "true" Hummer, and they only provided a similar look, a look that I could have duplicated by purchasing a Jeep for a lot less money. They gave me one to "test" for a few days, but I just could not bring myself to justify the cost, so I passed on it. I have actually seen an H3 dealership close, but I have seen Dodge dealerships close as well. This is a really tough time to be in the auto business, unless you are a smart dealership. All that they receive are either sold when they come in or on the waiting list that the dealerships have.

FYI.....
The H3 is not a 3/4 ton chassis. It is much smaller, more along the size of the Dodge Dakota.

The Hummer H3 SUV is a vehicle from General Motors' Hummer division, introduced in 2006. The H3 is the smallest of the three Hummer models, and though the H3 concept car was a pickup truck, and currently introduced as a conventional SUV, with a future model close to the concept being planned to be launched in the third quarter of 2008. Its platform is based on the GMT355 which underpins the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickup trucks.

In the American market, H3 Sales have been strong with 33,140 sold, making up 74% of total Hummer sales for the year 2006. The H3 is currently produced at GM's Shreveport, Louisiana factory and also at the Port Elizabeth plant in South Africa.

If only they would make it with one of the smaller TurboDiesel engines...
Reply to Crud, On the Hummer you are speaking of you are absolutely correct. I am speaking of the first series of the Hummer. The orginal plan was to have the "TRUE" Hummer available, BUT cost prevented that from being viable, so they took the 3/4 GM chassis and put a body on it with the 6.5 GM diesel engine. To be completely honest with you I am not familiar with the newest version, BUT if it is built on the chassis you refer to why would you want to pay the price they are asking. The vehicle is more "look" than actual performance. The initial version of the Hummer had ground clearance that was almost unlimited. The tire pressure could, from the drivers seat, be lowered or raised as the conditions required. I can only think of the Cadillac model that was built on the Chevrolet Nova chassis with a little more rubber insolation and a fancy interior, OH they added a considerable amount of $$$$$$ that look alike as well. I personally, and this is just my opinion and probably not worth a thing, believe that the front wheel vehicles that GM was producing and the practice of taking one vehicle and putting badges of other cars is a major reason they are asking the US taxpayers to "bail" them out. Don't get me wrong. I own a GM vehicle and I am pleased with it. A 95 Buick Estate Wagon that we have replaced the engine to have a "true" Corvette engine in and is lowered to the max. The wagon rides like a dream, runs like a dream, gets decent mileage and everywhere I drive it I get the same reaction I get with my smart, everyone wants to purchase it. I just cannot see paying the price they want for the H3 when you could purchase the same truck under carriage for thousands less, but that's why they make different things for different folks. You did not say if you were pleased with your H3 or not. People that I know that own them are not happy with them and with what is going on now with the economy and some are trading are finding that they are upside down in the H3.
I drive my Smart almost every day, but am still babying it a bit. If the forecast is for slick roads, I still drive my '96 Mazda PU.
And when my wife and I go somewhere and take the dogs, we drive the '07 Chrysler minivan. So far, I haven't had a dog in the Smart.
Overall, probably 50% of our driving miles are in the Smart.
Reply for Tom, You should just DRIVE your smart and enjoy. My wife, and our 2 dogs just completed 1/2 of our trip. We left San Antonio, TX and drove 1,800 miles to Winnemucca, NV and from there to Sacramento CA. So far on this trip we have driven in the "suprise snow" in Las Vegas. We have been in the snow until we got about 100 miles from Sacramento. The smart has performed flawlessly. I am pulling our trailer loaded to 350#. We have averaged right at 40MPG. The car is comfortable and the heated seats, in the conditons we have been in, are great. All my friends thought I was nuts to even attempt the trip, but after making coast to coast trips in a '23 T-Bucket and another on a motorcycle, a trip in the smart is like riding in a luxury car, if you know what I mean. I love to drive and currently drive my Freightliner Sport Chassis pulling my booth to shows all over the country. The smart was built and intended to be driven, so get them out of the garage and put yourself
inside and enjoy the ride. You make lots of friends and answer some of the most outrageous questions. One that always comes up is, "What do you do if you get hit by an 18-wheeler"? That one is easy, YOU DIE, PERIOD. But I usually follow that answer up with some questions for them. I ask them how long they have been driving. Then I ask them just how many people they knew that have actually hit an 18-wheeler. Well you must know how these are answered. It kind of gets their thought process headed in the right direction. The other question I am asked over and over, and sometimes at a gas station as I am PUTTING gas in the smart, "DOES IT RUN ON ELECTRICITY" to that I answer yes, I am getting fuel for my lawnmower. See to have all this fun you have to be out and about in your smart. Get it out and enjoy.
My smart is my first real purchased car of my own. My other car was handed down to me by my grandfather, a 1988 Ford Bronco II. Because of its sad demise due to a crash while parked on the side of the road I had to purchase a new car. Knowing that I was going to be waited for a LONG time I decided to look around for a possible second. Every other car just wasn't the one I knew I wanted so in the end I got a orphan in under a month of waiting. Ive racked up about 1400 miles so far mostly due to having to drive 2hrs to get to the smart center from where I live. Other than that I use it for both work and everyday driving unless it involves dealing with the snow, then I use my sisters 4X4.
Jim and Jackie:

I've had a couple of people ask me that question: "What will you do when you get hit by a semi?" I just smile and say " First, I'll check to make sure that the semi driver wasn't injured. Then, I'll exchange insurance information with the semi driver in case his truck was damaged. Then I'll get back in my car and drive away!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service