So has anyone experienced nasty weather in their SMART car yet? How did it do? Also, from our family to yours Happy Thanksgiving and wonderful and save Holiday Season!!

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Living in Central Illinois, we get hit with a bit of everything in the winter. One time this year we were right in between snow in Chicago and rain in St Louis, so we got the freezing rain, resulting in ice with rain on the top of it. The smart handled it well. It has handled better than any other car I have driven. The ABS and Traction Control kick in whenever it senses slick pavement, and keeps you from having a rear end wanting to go to the front. The engine over the drive wheels really helps too. It is in some ways like the old VW Beetle, with the weight in the back end. Like someone else pointed out, you have to slow down in the winter months. I have seen several SUV's that did not, and ended up in the ditch or field.
Yes,
I have experienced quite a nasty storm in Las Vegas of all places. We received about 5-6 inches of accumulated snowfall in one (strange) evening and I would have to say that the smart car, rear-wheel drive and all, performed amazingly well. My smart car kept a sure-footed steady pace while many other unlucky sedans were left spinning in place.

Well done smart car!
New York City hasn't had much nasty weather this Winter, and with a bit of good timing, I didn't experience it until the most recent snowstorm. Admittedly, after reading a few horror stories on several forums, I was nervous.

The car was fine. I realized that if you drive smart in bad weather, you'll do okay.
I agree...you have to drive carefully no matter what vehicle you have. I got snow tires and I really believe that helped a lot. Luckily I got them before I drove in any snow. The traction control helps too to let you know when you are slipping. The only thing that I don't like is very windy days. You really have to keep control of your smart especially at faster speeds on the freeway.
Judes said:
I agree...you have to drive carefully no matter what vehicle you have. I got snow tires and I really believe that helped a lot. Luckily I got them before I drove in any snow. The traction control helps too to let you know when you are slipping. The only thing that I don't like is very windy days. You really have to keep control of your smart especially at faster speeds on the freeway.
I pick up my Smart Car tomorrow. I will be driving on the Interstate, so I will get a feel of driving it out there with the big guys.
I got my '08 Passion last Nov and have not been through anytihng like a big snow yet. I too am wondering how it will handle. Because it is rear drive, I purchased 4 additionsl Pure (steel) rims and mounted Blizzak snow tires hoping to achieve the best possible traction control for a rear wheel drive car. So far, no problems at all, but, little real snow to test yet. Maybe next year we will be able to better answer this question. Dan Hall

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service