I am looking for information about using an exterior ham radio antenna on my Passion. Has anyone discovered what works best?

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too will be doing some type of antenna, look forward to a picture of what you come up. I too will look in QST archive, now that it was mentioned by the other ham, KI4VLH, now in the LV area.
Don't you need a metal roof to form the ground plain?
I cant wait to get my smart and put my radio in. I was thinking of putting on the trailer hitch and my tarheel hf. I will probably on put on a 2 meter antenna and my yaesu 1500 to save space. let me know what you use. I will not get my smart till september unless I find a orphan.
FWIW, I am not even going to try and install a radio or antenna in the smart. Gonna stick with the 1/4 wavelength antenna and the external speaker/mic on my HT. Not sure where to locate it to get the antenna vertical, though.

If you want to try and you want good performance, I think (aside from his spelling ;)) Fred is right about the ground plane.

Alan, KE7RUJ
Seems as though a glass-mount 1/2 wave end-fed whip should work in this instance, something like the Larsen Kulrod KG 2/70CXPL or similar. End-fed half wave antennas are normally used on fiberglass body cars, as well as in marine applications, and function acceptably without a ground plane.

I am thinking of this approach - mounting the antenna on the plastic sunroof near the front. The issue with this location is being able to close the sunscreen, but I find I rarely do. If I mount the antenna near the front, I'll still be able to close the sunscreen 95% of the way.

John WØDP
Thanks to all for the good info. I will be checking out the glass mount antenna. I think I will wait until the big SEAPAC ham fest that will be held in Seaside OR on June 5-7 to see if some of the vendors have any good ideas. Hope to meet some of you there.

I have also seen a picture of a ham who ran the wire inside the right front panel and mounted the antenna there.
Hey W0DP, try mounting it at the back. There is a gap behind the roller for roof screen and I think the underside bits of the antenna could fit.
Thanks. I'll have a closer look at that gap and see if there's room.
Alan Perry said:
FWIW, I am not even going to try and install a radio or antenna in the smart. Gonna stick with the 1/4 wavelength antenna and the external speaker/mic on my HT. Not sure where to locate it to get the antenna vertical, though.

If you want to try and you want good performance, I think (aside from his spelling ;)) Fred is right about the ground plane.

Alan, KE7RUJ
hi gary,
i installed my radio yesterday. i installed a yeasu 1500 and a larson dual band antenna. i only drilled one hole to secure the antenna and if i ever take it it will not show. i used a piece of tubing the size of a soda can
and cut it at a 45 angle on top and welded a oval plate to the top. i covered it in vinyl an secured my radio mount to the top of it. it fits right in the forward cup holder with no drilling and holds the radio at a angle for easy viewing. for the antenna i used a discarded bracket for a wind deflector for the front of a car. any metal strap that you could bend would work. i opened the passenger door and removed the black panel that says passion. remove one plastic screw and it snaps off. i put my metal strap under the plastic fender panel and attached it with 1 metal screw where the hole would be drilled for the car radio antenna. put the plastic panel and screw back on and ran the coax down through the rubber door seal and under the dash to to the radio. wired the radio direct to the battery. there are already screw terminals for ground and positive at the battery less than two feet from the radio. less than 1.2 swr and reports on no background noise. have a great day mike KD5NNU
Hello all Iv been using my old and I mean old VX5R HT with the rubber duckie it works pretty well. I drive an 09 passion with the vista roof. N6JOL Michael
Michael said:
Hello all Iv been using my old and I mean old VX5R HT with the rubber duckie it works pretty well. I drive an 09 passion with the vista roof. N6JOL Michael

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service