I am looking for information about using an exterior ham radio antenna on my Passion. Has anyone discovered what works best?

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was concerned about the stern warning in the owner's manual about damage transmtting from inside the car without an external antenna could do. You haven't had any problems? K7ERO

Michael said:
Hello all Iv been using my old and I mean old VX5R HT with the rubber duckie it works pretty well. I drive an 09 passion with the vista roof. N6JOL Michael
tried the radio out this morning on my way to work and again on the way home. i can hit repeaters 40 miles out both ways and hit one in the morning that is close to 60 miles out. probably could not hold the repeater for extended talk but i could not hit it in my crown victoria with 75 watt v-8000 radio. smart 73's
Michael,
What antenna did you end up using?
I love the idea of installing the radio in the cup holder. Perfect.
Just curious about the antenna. I was almost going to use a mag-mount with a piece of metal (or an opposing magnet) on the underside of the roof, but with the screen, etc, and possible scratching problems, I decided against it.
How about a through-the-glass antenna on the right front of the windshield.
Thanks,
Craig
I used a larson dual band antenna with trunk mount that i secured to the bracket with the 2 set screws on the trunk mount. I changed the whip with a plain stainless whip since I will only be using 2 meter with the 1500. I will try to post a picture if I can get the digital camera and the time. 73's mike KD5NNU
There are a number of antenna photos in this thread on the smartcarofamerica.com forum.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f9/anybody-installing-ham-r...
None what so ever.

Alice said:
I was concerned about the stern warning in the owner's manual about damage transmtting from inside the car without an external antenna could do. You haven't had any problems? K7ERO

Michael said:
Hello all Iv been using my old and I mean old VX5R HT with the rubber duckie it works pretty well. I drive an 09 passion with the vista roof. N6JOL Michael
If anyone would like to know how to install a Comet antenna and and Icom rig in their car, please give me a call.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service