I put together a small flat repair kit including a 2ton bottle jack and folding lug wrench with flat repair kits sufficient for normal puncture leaks (nails etc.) but found that even the small folding lug wrenches generally available in most auto supply stores start at 17mm. I can leave a 15mm socket and breaker bar in the car but would prefer the cross style lug wrench for the stability of two hands. I have some shoulder problems.

I have heard on some blog a while ago that VW makes a 17mm wheel bolt for its' Golf with the correct thread but I didn't get a part number. Anyone upsize there wheel bolts for lug wrench convenience or have this VW part number?

Thanks in advance for you answers.

Don Rogo...

Views: 1401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

including a 2ton bottle jack ..... Ha Ha Ha talk about over kill..... You could lift 2 WHOLE smart cars with it... the car weighs shy of ONE ton!!!!!

Some of us have switched over to chromed or polished bolts and yes they are 17mm heads. we changed them over for cosmetic reasons. I'll try to get the part number, I bought them off of an internet supplier and they were at my doorstep within the week. at a VERY reasonable cost.
2 ton bottle jack was 7.95 on sale in Harbor Freight.
It's barely 6 inches high and weighs 5lbs. I don't trust scissor-jacks.
Show me something smaller!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96647

Chrome Polished bolts would be great!
Don Rogo...
hi don, google "ez accessory.com 980s". 12x1.50 ball seat 24mm shank 17mm head lug bolts. part #980S. cost about $20 + fgt. for the set of 12. enjoy, bud
If you have a breaker bar and socket (even if you go to the 17mm nuts), they are (for my nickel) a superior choice over most 4 way lug wrenches. The socket will fit tighter, and the breaker will give you more leverage I think. I have broken the hold on many painfully tight lug bolts with the breaker-bar/socket combo when the lug wrench was just going to mangle the lug. Given a choice, I'd use the bar and socket every time. FWIW.
Bud
Thanks for the tip. Ordered a set from ezaccessories this evening. They also had lug locks too, got a set of 4 for $16.95, a whole lot cheaper then a set I saw on Ebay for $120!!!

Roger, I have a folding t-lug wrench I have had which is nice and compact. I also found recently the folding breaker bar in Walmart for $10. It as a 1/2 inch socket drive so I have had a 15mm and want to move up to a more robust 17mm. I was afraid of striping the 15mm and not being able to get a vise grip on it in a worst case scenario because the head is recessed into the rim. At least with a 17mm it has more meat to it and less likely to strip on some icy night on the side of a rural road. (Thats' ussually my luck when I get the occasional flat.)

I have enough tools to outfit a small auto shop. However, I don't want to carry it around in this little commuter. That is why I was searching for the more compact tools with multi-functions. I can fix a puncture hole in under 30 minutes (assuming I can find it.)

Thanks both for your input.

PEACE!
Don Rogo...

How can an auto company sell a car without a way to remove the wheels???    I have no socket that fits these tiny lug bolts.   If I had a flat and called road service, they couldn't remove the wheel either!!   Not good.   I've heard of cutting corners, but this is a VERY big corner to cut!    I can see not offering a jack, but a LUG WRENCH??   Come on!

Nick McClung said:

How can an auto company sell a car without a way to remove the wheels???    I have no socket that fits these tiny lug bolts.   If I had a flat and called road service, they couldn't remove the wheel either!!   Not good.   I've heard of cutting corners, but this is a VERY big corner to cut!    I can see not offering a jack, but a LUG WRENCH??   Come on!

They have a "fix-a-flat" repair kit in a can under the passenger side carpet. I read somewhere the goop in the can will mess up the TPMS and you will need to replace it.

Kathy & Gary,

I just read that if you use fix a flat, you have to tell the tire service people that it is in there, and then they evacuate it and clean the TPMS sensors in the wheel.    What I really was asking, is why is there no lug wrench and socket to fit those tiny lugbolts?    Should have been provided with the car from the get-go.

With the "fix a flat" you would not need a jack or tools. I guess this was one of smarts "ideas" to cut down on unneeded weight. It's something that temporarily works until you limp to a tire shop.

Corvettes have been coming "jackless" and "spareless" for years.

But at least Corvettes have standard lug nuts that anybody would have a wrench to fit.    I am going to have to have the smart center take these lug bolts off and replace them with the 17mm hex head bolts that bud hurley recommended.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service