I have a Smart Coupe. It is amazingly quiet for a car of the size, however I am getting a wind noise that is annoying. I am wondering if anyone else is getting similar noise or have solved the problem.

This noise clearly comes from where the top of the vertical window guide bar meets the body gasket (where the back stationary window, moving window, and body all come together). It happens when there are moderate to heavy winds during driving and is a somewhat constant slight wind noise. It is annoying largely because it is aligned just a little above ear level. I am getting a similar noise from both the Driver and the Passenger doors, but, of course, the Driver's side is more noticeable due to its proximity to the driver's ear.

The dealer has taken a crack at adjusting both doors and have done the checks on the roof that have previously been identified as wind noise challenges. The doors close tight and there is no wind noise anywhere else along the door that I can detect. This particular noise is very clearly coming from the door at the top of the vertical window guide.

I've attached a picture showing where the noise is coming from.

Anyone else dealing with a similar issue?

Tags: coupe, door, noise, passion, smart, wind, window

Views: 57

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kim. yes, we have it too, exact same place. worse in cross wind.

Winter came too soon here, for me to pursue it, but will go after it in the spring. A2Jack.
I have it too, but only on the driver's side. The dealer said they would have to replace the hinges when I have time to leave it with them.
ditto here too.. my passengers side is worse... I think its getting louder too. I'll see what the dealer says, I'm not holding my breath on this one..
I've got it on the drivers side. Drives me nuts, but haven't talked to the dealer yet.
I have the same wind noise on the passenger side. I told the dealer it's mostly at highway speeds, but the service advisor that checked it and said he could hear/find anything. I thought it was just my car, but I'll go with them when they check it out the next time I take it in for service.
I complained about the noise coming from the top of the drivers door. The dealership replaced the weatherstripping around the door, but that wasn't the problem. I took a long look at where the rubber strip holds the window in place when it is raised and noticed a small gap between the vertical bar between the windows and the rubber at the top of that vertical bar. I coated the rubber with silicone lubricant and used a pair of needlenose pliers to gently pull the rubber strip upward. I started at the bottom of the strip and pulled gently every half inch, working toward the top. That seems to have worked, I no longer have any wind noise from that door.
I have found this to be a problem too, and yes, having it right next to our ear makes it very annoying. I will look into Ted's resolution.
I have the same noise the dealer is unable to fix it.
I have the same problem. Stated it to the dealer since I got the car. But they couldn't fix it.
I too HAD this problem and if I pulled on the door handle the noise went away. I brought it to the attention of my dealer (Loeber Motors) and they adjusted the door so it closed tighter and it took care of the problem.
The door can be adjusted by a service tech.

Have a great day!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.