I am curious to see if anyone else has encountered this glitch? My smart has been flawless even after making our 4,000 mile plus trip towing our trailer, but when we returned home one day I go out to leave and there seems to be no power to the blower motor for the heater/AC. Both the lights come on on the top of the dash within the switches, but NO BLOWER. Before, 3 days later, I had time to get into it and try to locate the problem it was working again. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so, what is the solution? Is there a problem, or just a glitch?

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had the same problem recently and returned the car to the dealer who replaced the blower under warranty (no questions asked). We were experiencing temperatures between -5 F and 10 F so it makes it tough to get in the car with no heat. Some one at the dealership mentioned that not only was Smart experiencing this problem but MB was also dealing with the same problem. I would suggest you contact your dealer an explain your problem. FYI...when I went in to have the car checked the blower was working and they were aware of the issue.
Good luck!
I have had EXACTLY the same problem.... and in sub-zero weather up here in NH.... it is a real nuisance. However, it is like the thing is possessed... not consistent.... sometimes it happens, other times it just comes on.... no problem. Can't figure it out!
I plan to take my smart in to have the blower replaced under warranty. I am told they are aware of a problem with this so it sould present no problem. I will have it done at the dealership here in San Antonio. They are good guy's, both of the smart mechanics.
My car just had the blower replaced at the dealership (was there for a srs indicator light.) It has been squealing for little while now I forgot to mention it they noticed it and replaced it!!!!! Will pick up car friday (earliest I can get it)
Tom

My heater motor failed when the weather in Minnesota was at its coldest.  Since we didn´t have a dealer anymore, I tried the fix-it-yourself techniques that appear on the smart car of america forum.  That lasted until the weather got very cold again.  Now the fan has become intermittant - it works unless I really need it to be safe.  Then it stops.  We are having a major Winter storm today *(April18, 2013)  It kind of sucks to have to drive around without heat AND the window open to prevent fogging of the windshield.  Looks like a safety flaw to me!  I tried to contact mbusa to discuss and alert them to this safety design flaw, but somehow I could never get in touch with a real person - just played telephone tag and never got to speak to a real person.

Report it to NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Jim Gausman said:

My heater motor failed when the weather in Minnesota was at its coldest.  Since we didn´t have a dealer anymore, I tried the fix-it-yourself techniques that appear on the smart car of america forum.  That lasted until the weather got very cold again.  Now the fan has become intermittant - it works unless I really need it to be safe.  Then it stops.  We are having a major Winter storm today *(April18, 2013)  It kind of sucks to have to drive around without heat AND the window open to prevent fogging of the windshield.  Looks like a safety flaw to me!  I tried to contact mbusa to discuss and alert them to this safety design flaw, but somehow I could never get in touch with a real person - just played telephone tag and never got to speak to a real person.

Blower motor, like the crazing sunroof and other recurring problems MBUSA never wants to fix is caused by Behr trying to see how cheap they can build a blower motor for the cheap car.  They know it's going to fail because the mount is designed for easy, repetitive replacement.  Unplug the motor, 1/4 turn it and it comes right out, a $500 repair job at my stealer.  I took mine out and disassembled the cheap motor.  The brushes were ground up all over the inside of it because the commutator segments have sharp edges some idiot allowed to get past QC.  It eats its own brushes.  Take yours apart and use a triangle file that will make a little V between segments, after cleaning all the black brush stuff away.  Now that the sharp edge is off the segments, wrap a piece of emory cloth around the armature mounted to your electric drill to spin it.  Hold the emory cloth tight and polish off the rough edges to a shiny smooth surface.  Feel the armature as you turn it in your fingers to see if there are any sharp edges left and repeat until it's smooth.  Bend the brush springs so the brushes that weren't making contact with the segments before now make a good contact.  They'll smooth themselves to the segments' surface after an hour or so.  My motor runs faster and smoother with the parts now making contact.  Reinstall and plug in.  Now you can wait for the motor speed switch to also fail.  Fixed it by running it up and down hard while cursing DVI engineering, which seemed to help.  Switch worked again after 20-30 hard up and down cycles cleaning off the crap contacts.  WD40 helped lube it so maybe it won't corrode up again.  Good luck!

I had to have mine replaced just before it went out of warranty (22k).   Dealer said it is a $500+ repair/part.  The original motors had a few issues in the 09s was my understanding...   Near 90k and no issues since.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service