My Smart is Beeping after I Turn It Off
About 1 out of every 10 times, when I turn off the car starts beeping similar to when the seat belt is not fastened. I can stop it by turning the key on and then off again. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you know what the cause may be?

Views: 519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had the same thing happen several times as well. Seems to be when I shut it off quickly and start removing the seatbelt before (as others have said) the car boots down. Mine also has only happened at home when the automatic lights switch on coming into the garage. Maybe too much is going on for the poor thing to deal with at one time....lights, belts, down, shutting down. I took it to the dealer and they thought I was nuts (big surprise for Mercedes) and humored me. Will probably bring it up with them again on the next warranty visit.
I have the same problem. If you let it beep and walk away from the car, it will stop on its own, otherwise, you can turn the key to power up and then turn it off again, it will stop the beeping as well.

Since this is the Official Smart sanctioned forum, it would be nice it Smart would monitor the site and and provide some info or solution on this problem. I have called my dealer and e-mailed Smart and received no help whatsoever. It is about time that Smart provided some sort of technical hot line where we could get real answers to our problems rather than leaving us in the dark to try to figure out these problems for ourselves!!!
This usually happens because the car hasn't shifted itself fully into the park/lock position before you remove they key. It does it 100% of the time if you try to take the key out when not in park. (This also makes the transmission loose it's place if the battery is lost/removed before the next startup.) Just get used to putting the car in park and give it a couple seconds before you shut it off. :)
Mine does this too. It's not from pulling the key out before it is in park. Sometimes it starts beeping as soon as I turn it off, before I pull the key out. I don't recall it happening anywhere except in my garage, so it could have to do with the lights turning on immediately before it is switched off. I think the processor is just too slow, same thing that causes the hesitation before the starter starts cranking the engine.
i suspect this occurs when inadvertently hitting one of the key buttons while removing the key. but i have not tried my theory yet.
I agree with steve (june 26), i think it is the ignition key thing, I thoug ht it was having the door open (passengr) befre trning off the key until i read steves response
I was at a smart clinic at the Louisville smart center a couple of weeks ago and this beep problem was brought up by a couple of smart owners. According to the smart mechanic that was very very helpful with all the questions, when you turn your key off, you should wait at least 5 seconds before pulling it out of the ignition in order for the computer to re-set. Hope this helps

Cause

The chiming beeping signal can appear if the parking procedure is not done as described in the owners manual.

Remedy

Explanation: The owners manual states to engage the parking brake and shift to shifter position “P”, then release the brake pedal and turn the ignition to off. If the driver does not follow this sequence, that means he does not engage the parking brake first, but releases the brake pedal and turns the ignition to “off” within approx. 1 sec. while the hill hold assist is active, the beeping noise from the instrument cluster can be activated. In this special case, the beeping noise is activated as a warning signal for the driver, telling him the car could roll away. In the moment as the system recognizes: - that the handbrake is not engaged, - the hill holder is activated, - no foot brake is pushed, - ignition is switched to “off”, there might be a potential risk, that the car might roll away. If the parking procedure is done as described in the owner manual, the signal will not be activated.

The reason why this signal was not described in the technical vehicle documentation is as follows: It is not possible to activate the beeping, if the parking procedure is done as instructed in the owner's manual (see attachment "Model 451Operator's manual Parking instructions"). Furthermore there is only a very small range were the signal can happen at all. To deactivate the beeping, it is necessary to switch on the ignition. That’s the feedback for the system, that the driver has identified the situation.

Now that is a smart smart!

I am embarrassed to report that I have had this warning myself but did not look for help as I should have, as it eventually went away, but I am even more pleased to learn that my smart is smarter than I am.  Thank you Ed.  Jim 

Ed Glassgow said:

Cause

The chiming beeping signal can appear if the parking procedure is not done as described in the owners manual.

Remedy

Explanation: The owners manual states to engage the parking brake and shift to shifter position “P”, then release the brake pedal and turn the ignition to off. If the driver does not follow this sequence, that means he does not engage the parking brake first, but releases the brake pedal and turns the ignition to “off” within approx. 1 sec. while the hill hold assist is active, the beeping noise from the instrument cluster can be activated. In this special case, the beeping noise is activated as a warning signal for the driver, telling him the car could roll away. In the moment as the system recognizes: - that the handbrake is not engaged, - the hill holder is activated, - no foot brake is pushed, - ignition is switched to “off”, there might be a potential risk, that the car might roll away. If the parking procedure is done as described in the owner manual, the signal will not be activated.

The reason why this signal was not described in the technical vehicle documentation is as follows: It is not possible to activate the beeping, if the parking procedure is done as instructed in the owner's manual (see attachment "Model 451Operator's manual Parking instructions"). Furthermore there is only a very small range were the signal can happen at all. To deactivate the beeping, it is necessary to switch on the ignition. That’s the feedback for the system, that the driver has identified the situation.

Just my .02 but the parking brake isn't related to the beeping; I never set the brake when turning the car off.  It's the speed of shutdown that causes the beeps - just put the car in park, turn off the engine and wait a second or two before removing the key.  No beeps!

That was the official explanation from smart. Direct copy & paste from a service bulletin.

True, and I believe related only to the special case of parking on an incline with the hill holder active.  Otherwise, parking on a flat surface without the hill holder active, the parking brake doesn't play a part in triggering the beeps - easy to check out in the driveway.

Ed Glassgow said:

That was the official explanation from smart. Direct copy & paste from a service bulletin.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service