Has anyone gotten a "speeding ticket" yet? I was stopped on US-95 South by Fla Hwy Patrol radar.... The officer said I was doing 85 in a 70 zone. I told him to write the ticket because my car won't do 85..it must have been another car he was pointing his radar at. After looking over my car.. he let me go..no ticket ..no warning... Love this car

Views: 963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At 90 mph, my Smart has stable handling and its ride is smoother...
Check it with a GPS. Should get your answer.

Zippin Pippin said:
No, No, I did not change these factory supplied as original equipment tires. I have since received my scangauge II which shows my speedo reads one mph slower than actual! So, with the speed max setting of my mdc cruise control set for 48 mph I was actually only doing 47 mph. I was "clocked" at 55mph. which I would never do in this visibly monitored strip which I have traversed at this speed in a 94 Cadillac for 10 years with nary a ticket. My initial reaction was not to question the Police (are they ever wrong?) but to suspect the car! I am now satisfied that the Black Brabus with the Silver Wheels is perfectly fine but fits an entirely different profile. It fits the red or black racy car profile! Not the white old money not to be messed with profile. My scangauge will encourage higher mpg, slower mph driving and the police presence will now force a lower max. speed closer to the actual speed limit. I no longer have the 47 mph goal of getting the torque converter to lock up as with the Cadillac automatic. Now it will be the goal of not getting run over by faster traffic while driving a slower radar friendly speed. I'll let you know how the courrt date turns out Nov. 11th. Hope the officer is busy somewhere else. I WASN:T DOING 55, only 47 with a governer active! Oh, Well! Back in Love with my smart!
Rich
:)

Julie said:
Zippin Pippin said:
Okay, I just brought home a Ticket for doing 55 in a forty zone. I have the mdc cruise control and had the speed max setting set on 48 mph. When I saw the police car, I checked and felt okay at 48. They usually leave you alone under 50. I've been driving this route for 10 years and have never been stopped for speeding. New smart, new ticket! Not so smart. This is a Brabus with the 17 in. rear wheels and the very low profile tires. I am questioning the speed calibration of the speedometer now. AND the closest smart dealer is 200 miles away. There is a Mercedes Dealer down the street, though they don't work on smarts unless you own a Mercedes. At the moment, I am not so happy. I still love my BB BENZ, though I am perturbed just the same. Rich

You are perturbed at smart? You changed the tires.
When you to the court you better ask the arresting officer if he calibrate the speed radar he use and ask for the calibration docs...... it should be private company to calibrate the radar so that there will be no conflict of enterest..... the officer radar should be 5 mile less than the actual calibration which a plus to the officer not you''''' then I think this case will be dimissed.
It could be a police error, too. Their equipment is not always perfect. I had a friend that was always getting (and deserved to get) speeding tickets. Not one of them ever made it on his record. He fought all of them, going to court and requesting records as to when their equipment was last calibrated, etc., etc. Either the cops didn't have the time to appear, their calibration tests were not up to date, or the darned thing took so long to deal with it died in process. I didn't think highly of him for doing this but was amazed that all that nonsense worked. The "calibration" idea could be helpful to you, though, as it might be true.

Zippin Pippin said:
Okay, I just brought home a Ticket for doing 55 in a forty zone. I have the mdc cruise control and had the speed max setting set on 48 mph. When I saw the police car, I checked and felt okay at 48. They usually leave you alone under 50. I've been driving this route for 10 years and have never been stopped for speeding. New smart, new ticket! Not so smart. This is a Brabus with the 17 in. rear wheels and the very low profile tires. I am questioning the speed calibration of the speedometer now. AND the closest smart dealer is 200 miles away. There is a Mercedes Dealer down the street, though they don't work on smarts unless you own a Mercedes. At the moment, I am not so happy. I still love my BB BENZ, though I am perturbed just the same. Rich
Be careful guys. Many small towns have done away with that "10 mile over" grace period. They're starting to give out tickets for only a few MPH over the limit now. The bad economy is hitting the small towns, and they need the extra funds.
Arizona decided not to renew their photo cam contract...The race is on !!!!

Jim Davis said:
Be careful guys. Many small towns have done away with that "10 mile over" grace period. They're starting to give out tickets for only a few MPH over the limit now. The bad economy is hitting the small towns, and they need the extra funds.
I have only had one ticket while driving my smart.  I was doing 39 in a 35 zone in a little podunk town here in texas. I have been pulled over by the highway patrol, border patrol, sheriff, constable & city police, all they ever want to do is look the car over.  We have a good chat & I go on about my business.  I quite occassionally will find my self doing 85 - 88 mpg on the highway, luckily no one else has noticed.  The city policeman who gave me the ticket was real stupid and asked me if I knew how fast I was pedaling, (even though I wanted to slap him) I nicely told him I was just keeping up with the big truck beside me.
Really good looking car Dan.

Dan Katz said:
I got my first speeding ticket this weekend on my first big road trip. NYC to Niagara Falls. Was doing 71 in a 55 (thought it was 65 zone). Town of Dickinson near Binghamton. Sheriff had never seen a car like this before and asked if it was electric. He knocked the ticket down to 65 in a 55.

BTW, I upgraded my suspension to the Brabus kit last week and it's made a HUGE difference. Got wider 15" wheels and new Yokohama tires. The car doesn't get knocked around in the wind as much and it just grips in the corners like glue. Unfortunately, it encourages me to push the limits of the car more - leading to the law flashing behind me! Radar/Laser detector will be my next purchase.

It's official. Houston turned on the red light cameras again and is handing out tickets for red light runners! Small towns in Texas now haqve red light cameras, too. 

Let's be careful out there!

JWF

applause for your restraint, lynda  :)  i've yet to get a ticket (knock on wood). here in tennessee (and in florida too) we have the sheriff's department machines that tell you how fast you're going as you drive past. my speedometer always shows about 3 miles faster than those machine clock me, so i don't worry about setting the (451) cruise at 61-62 in a 55mph zone. but i, too, find myself going many, many miles over the speed limit on surface streets without realizing i'm doing it.

dan's info about the upgrade is very, very interesting. while it might get me in trouble, i'd love to update baby.

barbg

Lynda silvis said:

I have only had one ticket while driving my smart.  I was doing 39 in a 35 zone in a little podunk town here in texas. I have been pulled over by the highway patrol, border patrol, sheriff, constable & city police, all they ever want to do is look the car over.  We have a good chat & I go on about my business.  I quite occassionally will find my self doing 85 - 88 mpg on the highway, luckily no one else has noticed.  The city policeman who gave me the ticket was real stupid and asked me if I knew how fast I was pedaling, (even though I wanted to slap him) I nicely told him I was just keeping up with the big truck beside me.
You have to love it dont you ........
Well you could buy a camera that attaches to the front of the windshield that has a gps system built into it that records position, direction, and speed. I have put a camera on my windshield that doesn't have all that but use it to record what is going on in front of me, alas I should have put one on the back window as I was rearended by a 19 yr old in his infinity QX4. Not to much damage, looks like nothing more then the back bumper which shouldn't take all the long. But I am going to buy another camera for the back.  and then ta da I will have a log of interesting things to put on youtube.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service