Has anyone gotten a "speeding ticket" yet? I was stopped on US-95 South by Fla Hwy Patrol radar.... The officer said I was doing 85 in a 70 zone. I told him to write the ticket because my car won't do 85..it must have been another car he was pointing his radar at. After looking over my car.. he let me go..no ticket ..no warning... Love this car

Views: 1006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good God Dariusz--along with everything else that is weird and screwed up in California now we find out that you can get a speeding ticket because some cop thought you were speeding. Must have been another Feinstein and Pelosi initiative.
I took my Smart car for the first long trip. A friend was driving on the interstate, and at one time, I noticed that he was doing 90mph. I had no idea that he was driving that fast, and made him slow down. Fortunately we didn't get a ticket, but it's good to know that the car will go that fast.
You should've called his bluff as it's proven that our fortwo is limited to 90mph if he had quoted higher than that you could prove that he was smoking crack.

GLSONN said:
I got one for 85 in a 60.
He told me he had me a lot higher, but would have to handcuff me @ more than 25 over limit and he did not want to waste the time locking me up and doing all the associated paper work.
I thought the Smart plastic body panels muffled radar if you don't have a front license plate,like a built in radar jammer...I heard the Corvette works that way...
The Smart size , composition,shape,and minus a front plate should reduce its radar reflectivity so that most police traffic radar is ineffective unless you are within a 500 foot range...Smart builds a nearly stealth car...However, speed cam equipment will get you every time...If any of you are friends with a police officer, have him test his radar on your Smart...
Hmmmm interesting info Mr Stout, not meaning to be a nay sayer but is there a source for this info? Has someone done tests. I only ask because I have noticed that the radar thingies law enforcement puts on the side of the road to let you know how fast you are going (maybe to shame you into slowing down lol) do not seem to respond to me until I get close. I am going to drive by 2 of them today on the way home, I will have to pay more attention and see how long before it gets my speed.
OMG! SWEEET! ha! Thanks for sharing!
I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago for 69 in a 55 by a local sheriff. I'm almost positive he pulled me over to look at the car, because before he'd even asked for my license he said, basically, "if you let me run your license and it's clean I'll just let you go with a warning", then proceeded to ask me about the car, saying he's seen one around a lot (mine) and that he'd been waiting to pull one over. Chatted about 10 min about the car, handed me my license, and sent me on my way. :)
Well, a speed cam flashed me while I was speeding a month ago, and I never received a ticket in the mail...I am feeling INVINCIBLE in my stealth Smart....
Reply by Dariusz on June 3, 2009 at 4:19pm

Unfortunately cant have them here in California. It wouldn't help anyway because you can get a ticket on a visual assessment of the speed - no radar needed. And quess what? Smart doing 65 just looks like it is going 75 because it is so short and bouncy.
So you get a $1000 dollar ticket here for going 10 miles over 65 because the car just looks like going faster than it is.

Umm...Not entirely correct.

Check the CA DMV/Criminal codes.
Only Commercial drivers are banned from using radar detectors (and I think thats a Federal reg).
Radar/Laser Jammers are illegal here in CA.
I haven't gotten a ticket - yet... When, not if, I get pulled over I'm gonna tell the officer: "I'm sorry sir, the horsepower just got away from me". :-)
Crud said:
Reply by Dariusz on June 3, 2009 at 4:19pm

Unfortunately cant have them here in California. It wouldn't help anyway because you can get a ticket on a visual assessment of the speed - no radar needed. And quess what? Smart doing 65 just looks like it is going 75 because it is so short and bouncy.
So you get a $1000 dollar ticket here for going 10 miles over 65 because the car just looks like going faster than it is.

Umm...Not entirely correct.

Check the CA DMV/Criminal codes.
Only Commercial drivers are banned from using radar detectors (and I think thats a Federal reg).
Radar/Laser Jammers are illegal here in CA.

They are certainly legal in CA; I think the real world issue may be the California prohibition against mounting anything on the windshield which would be a problem. Still, they can be dash mounted or mounted on the sun visors and still be legal.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service