Has anyone gotten a "speeding ticket" yet? I was stopped on US-95 South by Fla Hwy Patrol radar.... The officer said I was doing 85 in a 70 zone. I told him to write the ticket because my car won't do 85..it must have been another car he was pointing his radar at. After looking over my car.. he let me go..no ticket ..no warning... Love this car

Views: 1005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I was stopped for speeding in Kansas. The limit is 70, I was doing 80. When he hit the lights I pulled over so fast I think it made his head spin. I was lucky, and he only gave me a warning. Whew! I have actually gone 85, but keep it at about 75 most of the time on the highway.
Just for the record, I _always_ go at or below the speed limit, and it is a myth that the smart will go any faster than 65 mph ... in case any police officers are reading our posts :-) t.
It's a myth alright.... if you get pulled over just ask the police where is the engine? Say there isn't even enough space for a decent size engine how fast do you expect this lump of steel to go? LOL

toes said:
Just for the record, I _always_ go at or below the speed limit, and it is a myth that the smart will go any faster than 65 mph ... in case any police officers are reading our posts :-) t.
Oh my gosh, I wish I thought of that. I am embarrassed to say I have gotten three tickets within in 5 months after moving to NW Florida from California. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 17 years. I think they are discriminating. In fact, the officer said, " I didn't think these things could go that fast. It was like a little blurp of black flashing by!" Not really that funny when I had to pay the fine ; )
Okay, I just brought home a Ticket for doing 55 in a forty zone. I have the mdc cruise control and had the speed max setting set on 48 mph. When I saw the police car, I checked and felt okay at 48. They usually leave you alone under 50. I've been driving this route for 10 years and have never been stopped for speeding. New smart, new ticket! Not so smart. This is a Brabus with the 17 in. rear wheels and the very low profile tires. I am questioning the speed calibration of the speedometer now. AND the closest smart dealer is 200 miles away. There is a Mercedes Dealer down the street, though they don't work on smarts unless you own a Mercedes. At the moment, I am not so happy. I still love my BB BENZ, though I am perturbed just the same. Rich
Zippin,... check your speedo with your GPS... It don't lie....
Radar detectors are perfectly legal in California. I have both in my Audi TT and '74 Pantera with no tickets, but not in the Smart. 65-70 mph is fast enough for me in the car.
My scangauge II just arrived and it shows that my speedo reads about 1 or 2 mph higher than actual. I certainly wasn't doing 55 as charged. The speed max governer of my cruise control was working aas set for 48 actual 47. I think they were just missing my shiny 94 white caddy. A case of profiling, ya don't mess with old caddy drivers. You just neveer know what you might step in. A little black toy car with shiny wheels, another matter. The policeman asked me my occupattion! I really have to contest the 55 in a 40 zone. I was not doing 55! I will own 48. :) I am feeling better about my car now that I have gotten support from the scangauge. The GPS will be my confirmation.

Brabus007 said:
Zippin,... check your speedo with your GPS... It don't lie....
Zippin Pippin said:
Okay, I just brought home a Ticket for doing 55 in a forty zone. I have the mdc cruise control and had the speed max setting set on 48 mph. When I saw the police car, I checked and felt okay at 48. They usually leave you alone under 50. I've been driving this route for 10 years and have never been stopped for speeding. New smart, new ticket! Not so smart. This is a Brabus with the 17 in. rear wheels and the very low profile tires. I am questioning the speed calibration of the speedometer now. AND the closest smart dealer is 200 miles away. There is a Mercedes Dealer down the street, though they don't work on smarts unless you own a Mercedes. At the moment, I am not so happy. I still love my BB BENZ, though I am perturbed just the same. Rich

You are perturbed at smart? You changed the tires.
No, No, I did not change these factory supplied as original equipment tires. I have since received my scangauge II which shows my speedo reads one mph slower than actual! So, with the speed max setting of my mdc cruise control set for 48 mph I was actually only doing 47 mph. I was "clocked" at 55mph. which I would never do in this visibly monitored strip which I have traversed at this speed in a 94 Cadillac for 10 years with nary a ticket. My initial reaction was not to question the Police (are they ever wrong?) but to suspect the car! I am now satisfied that the Black Brabus with the Silver Wheels is perfectly fine but fits an entirely different profile. It fits the red or black racy car profile! Not the white old money not to be messed with profile. My scangauge will encourage higher mpg, slower mph driving and the police presence will now force a lower max. speed closer to the actual speed limit. I no longer have the 47 mph goal of getting the torque converter to lock up as with the Cadillac automatic. Now it will be the goal of not getting run over by faster traffic while driving a slower radar friendly speed. I'll let you know how the courrt date turns out Nov. 11th. Hope the officer is busy somewhere else. I WASN:T DOING 55, only 47 with a governer active! Oh, Well! Back in Love with my smart!
Rich
:)

Julie said:
Zippin Pippin said:

You are perturbed at smart? You changed the tires.
Yes, you too have been visited by the racy black car profiling police. Big engined, racy cars are frequently red, or.........

BLACK!
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding,Ding,Ding
Hold your calls, We have a Winner!!!
:)

dana said:
Oh my gosh, I wish I thought of that. I am embarrassed to say I have gotten three tickets within in 5 months after moving to NW Florida from California. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 17 years. I think they are discriminating. In fact, the officer said, " I didn't think these things could go that fast. It was like a little blurp of black flashing by!" Not really that funny when I had to pay the fine ; )
87 in a 65 but got off as doing 74 instead. Can't mess with Jersey cops like that, they've seen how fast the Smarts can go down the Garden State Parkway!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service