I'm having serious temperature control problems with my 2008 Passion Coupe. The heater and air conditioner run very warm unless set at 60-61 degrees. The issue is being addressed at my dealer (Louisville). We have a thread on SCoA to discuss the issue. If you are having similar problems, please contribute to this thread
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/heater-ac-temperature-c...

Tags: a/c, air, conditioner, heater

Views: 727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

same here i have a 2009 brabus. A/C worked great at first then the other day it was switching from cold air to warm/cool clammy air. I have to take it in.
Well here it is August. After 3 months and multiple trips to the dealership for diagnoses and several weeks waiting for a nationally back-ordered temperature control unit my smart's A/C is still not operating properly.

I was convinced the solution was going to be the temperature control unit but that hasn't worked out.

Any temperature setting with the lever above the bottom position results in an eventual "time out" when the A/C blows cool (not cold) and the cabin temperature starts to rise.

When I initially set the temperature at 70, it times out in roughly 20 minutes and quits cooling, I can move the lever down a notch and it starts cooling again then times out again (this time more quickly). Repeat this process until I reach the bottom setting and the A/C will then turn the car into a meat locker. It gets so cold that I have to reduce the fan speed and/or select defrost so the air isn't blowing directly on me.

The unit is fully charged. There are no fault codes. It obviously can make cold air.

The climate control in our '08 Passion coupe worked flawlessly in every temperature/humidity combination it encountered so I know there's something amiss in our '09 Brabus.

Is there an A/C guru on the board with suggestions on what to try next? This is getting very frustrating.

Regards,

Dan
I refer to the numbers on the bezel as "aw cool !!" numbers, not actual control numbers. It ain't your home thermostat. If it's warm, I slide it down lower. If it's cool, I slide it up.

I bet future smarts will not have those numbers. It'll just be a blue/red line like most cars. Eliminates the perceived problem.

I think those numbers were an attempt by smart to give it an appeared feature that never really existed.
Mud Pie said:
Eliminates the perceived problem.

I think those numbers were an attempt by smart to give it an appeared feature that never really existed.

For those of us afflicted with it, it isn't a "perceived" problem.

As I said in my initial post, my '08 smart's climate control feature functioned as it should. In the '09, once I reach the bottom position, I'm forced to run the A/C manually. At that point it's either on or it's off.

I'm glad your A/C works to your satisfaction. Want to trade?

Regards,

Dan
The only issue i had was that at one point, the air just seemed to pretty much stop coming out of the vents. It still came out, but i could only really feel it if i had my hand kinda close to the vent, even on full blast. Ironically, it happened as i was on my way to take my car to the dealer to get a paint issue fixed. And as it typically happens, it somehow, and for some reason, started working fine again just before i got there. *shrug*
Ryan said:
The only issue i had was that at one point, the air just seemed to pretty much stop coming out of the vents. It still came out, but i could only really feel it if i had my hand kinda close to the vent, even on full blast. Ironically, it happened as i was on my way to take my car to the dealer to get a paint issue fixed. And as it typically happens, it somehow, and for some reason, started working fine again just before i got there. *shrug*

Ah, different problem than I thought !!

Looks like you are having "freeze up". Different problem altogether than just it's not "matching the numbers". The air flow decrease was a hint and a half.

If air flow decreases even when the fan speed is increased, that means blockage, a serious problem and worth a trip to the dealer. Your evaporator or condensor (too early to remember which) is getting caked with ice. When you shut down your car in the drive, do you notice a LOT of water running from underneath as it sits ? If so, that's melting ice, not regular condensate.
well, like i said, it had only happened to me that one time where the airflow sucked (to put it simply). I shut the AC off for a couple minutes (as i was driving), turned it back on, and it worked, so i didn't really get to see if there was any ice buildup.

As for the idea of the numbers not really meaning much temperature wise.... wouldn't that kind of eliminate the need/use for that temperature sensor in the passenger footwell that some people had an issue severing the wire when installing an under-dash sub or something of the sort?
My 09 Brabus is doing this EXACT same thing. Guess I will have to DEALER this prob

Daniel Coté said:
Well here it is August. After 3 months and multiple trips to the dealership for diagnoses and several weeks waiting for a nationally back-ordered temperature control unit my smart's A/C is still not operating properly.

I was convinced the solution was going to be the temperature control unit but that hasn't worked out.

Any temperature setting with the lever above the bottom position results in an eventual "time out" when the A/C blows cool (not cold) and the cabin temperature starts to rise.

When I initially set the temperature at 70, it times out in roughly 20 minutes and quits cooling, I can move the lever down a notch and it starts cooling again then times out again (this time more quickly). Repeat this process until I reach the bottom setting and the A/C will then turn the car into a meat locker. It gets so cold that I have to reduce the fan speed and/or select defrost so the air isn't blowing directly on me.

The unit is fully charged. There are no fault codes. It obviously can make cold air.

The climate control in our '08 Passion coupe worked flawlessly in every temperature/humidity combination it encountered so I know there's something amiss in our '09 Brabus.

Is there an A/C guru on the board with suggestions on what to try next? This is getting very frustrating.

Regards,

Dan
dont fret! its a temp. control setting. that is what it does to control the temperature. to keep the temp at selected settings. TRY THIS press the right buttton for more stable setting: a/c + cabin air = 2red lightS on! OR jus turn the vent away in thecold setting and crack your window to balance the temp! jus some suggestions!

let me know how that wrks! :D

Dr ALEX said:
My 09 Brabus is doing this EXACT same thing. Guess I will have to DEALER this prob

Daniel Coté said:

Regards,

Dan
The A/C now works as it should.

Yesterday I took the car to sc Seattle to get copies of the A/C related repair orders in preparation for submitting a "lemon law" request for arbitration. While I was there, the service manager (BJ) and I spent about a half hour in the car recording interior air temperatures and vent temperatures so he'd have data to discuss with his area manager. During this time, he pulled the duct temp sensor out at one point to see if that would have any effect. It did not so he re-installed it and we shut off the car.

Today, I made a 130 mile round trip to Seattle. On the way over, outside air temps were low enough that I had the heat on. But on the way back it was in the mid-80s all the way. I had the temp control lever set mid-way between 60 and 70 and it never "timed out". I even stopped once for about 10 minutes and the car got pretty hot inside. I didn't change the temp selector and the system automatically went to recirculate and went back to normal when the cabin cooled sufficiently.

I called BJ when I got home and gave him the good news. We don't know why this worked or even if this had been the problem all along. As I reported previously, there were no associated fault codes.

All's well that ends well.

Regards,

Dan
I have recently had trouble with my A/C as well. Within the last 3 months, the a/c will not turn on after being off for 8 or so hours (while at work.) Then after about 20-30 min. it will come on. There is no rhyme or reason, it seems to happen on especially hot days ( I live in Florida & the car is black.) I am taking my car to the Jacksonville or Birmingham dealer to have them look at it in the next 2 weeks. Open to any thoughts it will save me the 5 hour drive! Thanks
Daniel Coté said:
The A/C now works as it should.

Yesterday I took the car to sc Seattle to get copies of the A/C related repair orders in preparation for submitting a "lemon law" request for arbitration. While I was there, the service manager (BJ) and I spent about a half hour in the car recording interior air temperatures and vent temperatures so he'd have data to discuss with his area manager. During this time, he pulled the duct temp sensor out at one point to see if that would have any effect. It did not so he re-installed it and we shut off the car.

Today, I made a 130 mile round trip to Seattle. On the way over, outside air temps were low enough that I had the heat on. But on the way back it was in the mid-80s all the way. I had the temp control lever set mid-way between 60 and 70 and it never "timed out". I even stopped once for about 10 minutes and the car got pretty hot inside. I didn't change the temp selector and the system automatically went to recirculate and went back to normal when the cabin cooled sufficiently.

I called BJ when I got home and gave him the good news. We don't know why this worked or even if this had been the problem all along. As I reported previously, there were no associated fault codes.

All's well that ends well.

Regards,

Dan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos