I'm having serious temperature control problems with my 2008 Passion Coupe. The heater and air conditioner run very warm unless set at 60-61 degrees. The issue is being addressed at my dealer (Louisville). We have a thread on SCoA to discuss the issue. If you are having similar problems, please contribute to this thread
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/heater-ac-temperature-c...

Tags: a/c, air, conditioner, heater

Views: 655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dr ALEX said:
Daniel Coté said:
The A/C now works as it should.

Yesterday I took the car to sc Seattle to get copies of the A/C related repair orders in preparation for submitting a "lemon law" request for arbitration. While I was there, the service manager (BJ) and I spent about a half hour in the car recording interior air temperatures and vent temperatures so he'd have data to discuss with his area manager. During this time, he pulled the duct temp sensor out at one point to see if that would have any effect. It did not so he re-installed it and we shut off the car.

Today, I made a 130 mile round trip to Seattle. On the way over, outside air temps were low enough that I had the heat on. But on the way back it was in the mid-80s all the way. I had the temp control lever set mid-way between 60 and 70 and it never "timed out". I even stopped once for about 10 minutes and the car got pretty hot inside. I didn't change the temp selector and the system automatically went to recirculate and went back to normal when the cabin cooled sufficiently.

I called BJ when I got home and gave him the good news. We don't know why this worked or even if this had been the problem all along. As I reported previously, there were no associated fault codes.

All's well that ends well.

Regards,

Dan
I just took my BRABUS in, and they replaced the evaporator valve, Drier. and reCHG d the unit. Im now testing mine to see if it does the time out. WHERE O WHERE is that DUCT TEMP sensor. Id like to pull it and re install it if this dealer FIX doesnt work.
The duct temp sensor is under the dash in the passenger foot-well area. I didn't see where he pulled it from but it seemed to be pretty far forward.

Please let us know the results of your testing.

Regards,

Dan
Daniel Coté said:
The duct temp sensor is under the dash in the passenger foot-well area. I didn't see where he pulled it from but it seemed to be pretty far forward.

Regards,

Dan
Dr ALEX said:
Daniel Coté said:

Regards,

Dan
I went back with the Service advisor to the Technician, at MB Sugarland. The Tech pulled this sensor in the pass footwell area. I know exactly where it is. Believe it or not, Ive seen other info somewhere talking about the wires getting damaged on this sensor....one thread I believe was a story about a SMART salesperson showing a lady that she could stuff her purse up in the cubby hole in the pass footwell area. Well thats right where that sensor is, and guess what. She had an AC prob. The tech found that sensor was damaged by stuffing the purse up there. I can imagine, large Feet or kicking around in the footwell can cause the sensor to be not reliable. So... Ive at least had the sensor pulled, the wire clip unhooked, and re installed. THANKS for your info.
Its right there leftside of passenger foot well.... See that white Wire sticking in the Air Duct...

THANK YOU CATO and whomever has told me about this DUCT TEMP SENSOR. Ive had a NEW EVAP valve, EvAcuation and RECHARGE, New TEMP CONTROL MODULE and all that stilll gave me no real change in the cooling ability of my BrABUS. THEN. I pulled the Sensor assembly out, (gently) where its pictured above, and then used a small hard piece of wire to release the white plastic plug , and then just re installed it. AND NOW THE A/C is working like a real A/C !!! I bet there is some clear KRUD on the two small wires in that plug, and By re installing it, and re pluggin it back in, it cleaned those contacts. THANKS guys. Im now like those normal stories about how their A/C works in triple digits. Weve had 94 Degrees here today, 10/1 09 here in Houston, and I had my temp control at 65, and the FAN on HI and I could feel it COLD on my hand on the steering wheel all the way to the clinic. with just the normal cycling of the compressor. I was NOT on the LOWEST LOCK OUT setting ( right lever all the way DOWN) . The unit now WORKS .
I think your are on to something here. Mine did the same thing until I messed with the sensor in the foot well. Would love to hear any final disposition of this issue.

Dr ALEX said:
THANK YOU CATO and whomever has told me about this DUCT TEMP SENSOR. Ive had a NEW EVAP valve, EvAcuation and RECHARGE, New TEMP CONTROL MODULE and all that stilll gave me no real change in the cooling ability of my BrABUS. THEN. I pulled the Sensor assembly out, (gently) where its pictured above, and then used a small hard piece of wire to release the white plastic plug , and then just re installed it. AND NOW THE A/C is working like a real A/C !!! I bet there is some clear KRUD on the two small wires in that plug, and By re installing it, and re pluggin it back in, it cleaned those contacts. THANKS guys. Im now like those normal stories about how their A/C works in triple digits. Weve had 94 Degrees here today, 10/1 09 here in Houston, and I had my temp control at 65, and the FAN on HI and I could feel it COLD on my hand on the steering wheel all the way to the clinic. with just the normal cycling of the compressor. I was NOT on the LOWEST LOCK OUT setting ( right lever all the way DOWN) . The unit now WORKS .
My A.C. works "Good"... I'm 6' 2" and when I ride, I put my feet up on that shelf space from time to time, and always have to remember to not put my left foot to close ventilation box because that delicate temp sensor sticks right out there begging to be broken off..!!! (I may make a little shield to protect it, because its a great little storage space, but somebody else may damage my sensor someday that don't know about it being there)
I put this on the other forum but thought it might help someone here too. This was just fixed about a week ago.

HI, not sure how many will have this problem but it is an easy fix now that they found it. My wife was told by salesperson that a great place to store her pocketbook is up under the dash on the passenger side - nice little spot way up there. She did this from day one. Then the AC stopped getting cold. SMART technicians (yes smart too) found the two wire sensor is unprotected in the same location and was broken. yep you can just look up in there and you'll see it. I wonder how many people will be recharging their AC units or spending big bucks to fix the AC when it is only a sensor that a passenger kicked when they took a ride.

Hope this helps
Bill

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos