As I have written previously, for the money, this is the best car I have ever owned. My complaints are sparingly few and minor.

Here's one annoyance: Finding yourself the first in line at a red stop light. Either you duck down to watch for the light change or, in my case, you pull forward to peer through the car's clear top.

Wish do you do?

Also, how about someone invent a prism, to reflect the light change, that would fit in the front, inside portion of the driver-side windshield. Anyone? Any comparable accessories out there?

Happy driving.

Tags: invention, lights, traffic

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seem to remember that I had an uncle with a 1956 Oldmobile 88. Just above the instrument cluster, there was a semi-circular prism that alowed the driver to see traffic lights. I hven't looked, but it might solve your problem if you can find one. Good luck.
Yeah, the non-height adjustable seat (it does it itself depending upon its location on the track) is a bit of a pain, especially at stop lights. Also, I find the rear view mirror to be too low. I have to look around it while going through curves or around corners.
The mirror placement and other restricted views are probably the things that bug me most. The narrow view between the tall seats creates blind spots on both sides of the car (especially the passenger side) so changing lanes on a busy freeway is sometimes a bit dicy. I still love the car.
Yep - as mentioned they used to make an after-market thingy years ago. I searched J.C. Whitney and they don't have that item anymore. I just look thru the panoramic roof if I'm that close.

For those other complaintants - adjust your mirrors properly and there won't be a blind spot from the sides.
The rear-view mirror is too low for me also, I look over the top and to the sides of it.
It can be modified to raise it about an inch or so by chopping the stalk off and epoxying it back together. You can find info on http://www.smartcarofamerica.com under the "Technical" section. Or search for Mirror Mod . . .
Thanks for making the effort.

Dan O said:
Yep - as mentioned they used to make an after-market thingy years ago. I searched J.C. Whitney and they don't have that item anymore. I just look thru the panoramic roof if I'm that close.

For those other complaintants - adjust your mirrors properly and there won't be a blind spot from the sides.
The rear-view mirror is too low for me also, I look over the top and to the sides of it.
It can be modified to raise it about an inch or so by chopping the stalk off and epoxying it back together. You can find info on http://www.smartcarofamerica.com under the "Technical" section. Or search for Mirror Mod . . .
I know that in the early 60's (I'm telling my age) there was a prism that attached inside at the top of the windshield on the drivers side. Now why they got rid of them I don't know but I do know that at one time there was one.
i honestly don't find the mirror to be that big of a deal. i mean.... i don't think the Smart is the only car plagued by a not-so-conveniently placed rearview mirror. Believe just about any small car.... even a little 4-door sedan, seems to have at least somewhat of a blindspot created by the rearview.... especially if you're... you know, tall.
I just googled traffic light prism and got a bunch of sources for prisms to save our necks (pun intended). Check it out!
This is what I got. It works pretty good and is non intrusive. http://www.lightinsight.com/

Theodore Emilio Montecillo said:
Just stop farther back! Don't let the light leave your view. I also have this problem in my T-Bird so I'm quite accustomed to stopping farther back. Ted.
I have a cabriolet and just open the top a couple inches til I can see. A tilt steering wheel would also be nice...
On the Stop Light Locator, visit some automotive swap meets and there are usually about 1/2 a dozen of them for sale there in all different styles and condition.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service