Yea, I'm leaving shortly today to go up to Sarasota, Fl to pick up my new Brabus. It's one week short of a full year (05/05/08) since I placed my order for a Passion. Opted for the Brabus in the fall when contacted by Smart.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations Ken,
I know you will enjoy your smartie, post pics when you can.
You're gonna love it, i guarantee it. Picked up my silver Brabus Coupe this past Monday.... and i freakin love it. It's gotta be something amazing when i can't help but smile when i see it, and it's MY CAR! Can see pics of mine in my profile.

Speaking of which..... i still gotta take more.
Congrats!
Were you able to track your Smart on www.2wglobal.com ? The dealer called me with my vin #, and said my car was "on the water" I have tried to track it to no avail. I'm so excited and frustrated at the same time!
Ryan said:
You're gonna love it, i guarantee it. Picked up my silver Brabus Coupe this past Monday.... and i freakin love it. It's gotta be something amazing when i can't help but smile when i see it, and it's MY CAR! Can see pics of mine in my profile.

Speaking of which..... i still gotta take more.
I'm so glad that I opted to upgrade to the Brabus. It's a ton of fun to drive. Handles exceptionally well and it looks damn good too. The spoked wheels and the low profile tires really set it off from the rest along with the aero trim. I just had the windows tinted Friday (we do live in Florida) and I'm already seeing fingerprints from the lookers who want to take a peek inside. This way I'll know that "Braby" is getting noticed. I'll start checking mpg after this first tank gets replaced. Even though there are several here in Ft. Myers, I haven't seen any Brabus' on the road. This car rates 100 on the "fun factor" index.
Will do. Here's a picture of it at the dealers just before we brought it to it's new home.
Attachments:
No I didn't know that it could be tracked that way. I just received an email that I should have delivery by 7/5/09. Then I received an email and a phone call from the dealer that it would be about a week until I could pick it up. Then last week the dealer called saying that the Brabus had arrived and wanted to arrange for me to pick it up. Regardless, I'm so enjoying the car. It's a blast to drive. Everyone should own at least one and send a message to Detroit.
George's wife: Yeah.... but even if you're in a pickup truck, there's still something bigger than you on the road. Hummers too. Hell, even in a semi, i'm sure you'd find something bigger...... like maybe a semi with fully a loaded trailer, or multiple trailers. There's also the fact that even two vehicles of the same mass could be just as bad, because a person's internal organs are not designed to withstand a deceleration of 50-0mph in half a second. Pretty sure that most people who are killed, or at least seriously injured, in car accidents, are because of internal bleeding moreso than external wounds. A small car like the Smart hitting a large luxury sedan could still quite easily be hazardous to the health of the person in the sedan. The only difference is that the Smart is designed with a different method of handling crashes in mind. The Smart is basically DESIGNED so that upon impact, the Smart affects the other car's crumple zones, allowing it to slow down a bit, and then generally get pushed away a bit, out of the direct line of force from the impact. Other cars are designed so that there's just a whole load of crap to get squished before the debris get's into the passenger cabin. The only bad thing is that said debris usually winds up being from THAT car, not the other one.

I'm 24.... and the Smart is my first NEW car purchase... and i have absolutely zero worries while driving down the road. I even had to bring it home on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.... and pretty much every single other car on the road is larger than it.... but it didn't bother me in the slightest. If you look into the safety features of the Smart.... you'd notice that it has quite a lot of stuff done to protect the occupants as much as possible.... such as the force limiting seatbelts, which will ease up gently on impact if too much force is put on them so that there isn't any damage to the ribs. the seats are higher off the ground than you'd expect so that it's not in the direct path of the bumper of cars similar in stature, and will hit both the tires/axles, and the metal beams going from one side of the car to the other, before it'd ever get into the passenger cabin. You're basically sitting in a solid steel roll-cage..... which i'm pretty sure not everybody can say about their luxury cars or SUV's (which for SUV's, they're basically ROLL cages.... and not in the safe way).
George said:
He picked up the ugly little THING today He's hopefully going to only use it for Sunday drives... I am a Registered Nurse they are NOT safe .. I've seen the status post ER effects.... High School Pysics teaches any object 2-3 times the mass of any other objec on impact t will have twice to 3 times the volume of unpact .. Frankly if you were in Europe where most cars are tiny , it may not be such a dillemma for safety ! Good luck.....,,,, The wife,,,,,,,,,,,

Marilyn said:
Congrats!
Were you able to track your Smart on www.2wglobal.com ? The dealer called me with my vin #, and said my car was "on the water" I have tried to track it to no avail. I'm so excited and frustrated at the same time!
Ryan said:
George's wife: Yeah.... but even if you're in a pickup truck, there's still something bigger than you on the road. Hummers too. Hell, even in a semi, i'm sure you'd find something bigger...... like maybe a semi with fully a loaded trailer, or multiple trailers. There's also the fact that even two vehicles of the same mass could be just as bad, because a person's internal organs are not designed to withstand a deceleration of 50-0mph in half a second. Pretty sure that most people who are killed, or at least seriously injured, in car accidents, are because of internal bleeding moreso than external wounds. A small car like the Smart hitting a large luxury sedan could still quite easily be hazardous to the health of the person in the sedan. The only difference is that the Smart is designed with a different method of handling crashes in mind. The Smart is basically DESIGNED so that upon impact, the Smart affects the other car's crumple zones, allowing it to slow down a bit, and then generally get pushed away a bit, out of the direct line of force from the impact. Other cars are designed so that there's just a whole load of crap to get squished before the debris get's into the passenger cabin. The only bad thing is that said debris usually winds up being from THAT car, not the other one.

I'm 24.... and the Smart is my first NEW car purchase... and i have absolutely zero worries while driving down the road. I even had to bring it home on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.... and pretty much every single other car on the road is larger than it.... but it didn't bother me in the slightest. If you look into the safety features of the Smart.... you'd notice that it has quite a lot of stuff done to protect the occupants as much as possible.... such as the force limiting seatbelts, which will ease up gently on impact if too much force is put on them so that there isn't any damage to the ribs. the seats are higher off the ground than you'd expect so that it's not in the direct path of the bumper of cars similar in stature, and will hit both the tires/axles, and the metal beams going from one side of the car to the other, before it'd ever get into the passenger cabin. You're basically sitting in a solid steel roll-cage..... which i'm pretty sure not everybody can say about their luxury cars or SUV's (which for SUV's, they're basically ROLL cages.... and not in the safe way).
I actually feel safer driving the Brabus then when I'm in my Mercedes. The road handling is quicker and more responsive. My salesperson had a customer who was involved in a head on collision (angled from the drivers front fender side). The Smart was totalled as was the SUV that hit them. The Smart driver had a few scratches and bruses, the wife/passenger had a sprained wrist. Both were able to open their respective doors and walk away without serious injuries. They went back to my sales person the very next day and bought another one telling the dealer that the Smart saved their lives. The SUV needed the jaws of life to get the other vehicles driver out of the car and needed ambulance assistance to get to the hospital. It's also important that when driving a Smart you have to realize that you're the smaller car on the road and defensive driving is more important than when driving a US gas hog.
@ George's wife: Never say "always" (less will be more in the not too distant future), you do remind me of people scared to fly, because "if the airplane crashes they would die" ... and six more points:

1. The smart is probably still safer than any "regular sized" car was in the 1980's, 1990's and actually some current vehicles (such as the Jeep Wrangler).

2. The chances of being in an accident in a smart are actually much lower than in a lot of "standard size" vehicles (European statistics have proven this). Before you ask: Yes, I don't want to be in an accident (in any vehicle).

3. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle, do you ever ride a bicycle? (I ride a scooter most of the time, to and from work, so the smart is a safety upgrade from that). Have you spent any time in a car without wearing a seatbelt (in the 1970s) ... I age myself, but then: I (and many like me) survived those "dangerous decades".

4. What are your exercise and eating habits? The reason I ask is that a US resident is far more likely to be killed by heart disease (or any number of other diseases) caused by an unhealthy lifestyle than in a car accident. Want to rule out any risk in life? ... I wouldn't call that a "life", but to reduce the chance of getting killed in a car accident there is always telecommuting.

5. There are two things in life that are certain: taxes and death. Do I think we should tempt death? No, but I don't think I am (beyond reason) when driving a smart. Of course you can always be "safer", but where do you stop?

6. Do you travel for pleasure/vacation? Now that's putting your life at risk unnecessarily, isn't it?

Carpe Diem! (the smart is plenty safe ... in a "relative" world)
george's wife: So.... you kinda seem to like that Z06, eh? Seeing as it only weighs a couple hundred pounds more.... i can't see how that's much safer than the Smart. Yes.... it's a couple hundred pounds.... but in what, the engine block? Other than that it's probably the same as my mom's '01 Trans-Am. Fiberglass body, typical steel frame you'd find in a typical car (maybe), massive engine......... and that's about it. Not to mention practically sitting on the ground in some nice bucket seats.... being practically eye level with the majority of other car's bumpers. I can tell you for a fact that after driving my Smart for not even a WEEK..... i got into my mom's jeep because she wanted me to take it down to put gas in it, and the second i sat in the Jeep, i didn't feel right. just didn't feel as great as the Smart. The steering wheel was much closer to me than in the Smart, as well as the dashboard. Seeing as airbags can be relatively dangerous themselves when they pop out at pretty high speeds, last thing i'd want is that bursting out directly against my chest or face. And don't keep talking about "Objects with 2 to 3 times more mass will cause more damage to the object with the lower mass" crap. Like it's already been discussed (And mentioned even in the crash tests of cars), The biggest concern with a car crash has nothing to do with the weight of the car.... but the deceleration that your body experiences, which the internal organs can't withstand. Yes, the Smart is the smallest car sold in the US. Yes, you apparently have it set in your mind that small = insta-death. But what makes you think that you'd be perfectly safe in your 2.5 ton van if you hit a car that even had a weight of say a ton and a half? My mom was hit by a small S-10 pickup somewhat head-on while driving her Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.... but that didn't stop her ankle from basically shattering. Didn't stop my grandmother from getting i believe a fractured arm. And this was back in like 2003 or 2004. She still has trouble walking for long periods of time. I'm more of a believer in the safety features a car has.... not so much just how much it weighs.

As for "Stories of Wonder" the car salesmen tell us..... when? The majority of "stories" i've heard, were either here on SmartUSA Insider, by people of the community, or on safeandsmart.com, which also has stories from owners. The only mention of ANY accident that my salesman told me about was when i commented how it kinda sucked that my Smart already has a tiny knick in the paint near the front edge of the front fender, and he told me he had two people wreck their Smart's within 24 hours of picking them up, and i think he said they weren't even a week apart from each other.

Even putting accident stories aside..... it's half the length of most cars... or less.... and has a weight that for it's size, is relatively close to those larger cars. Not to mention having a much smaller, much lighter engine than those cars. That's telling me that there's a lot more to it's frame than a few metal bits here and there to hold the body panels in place and to hold up the engine and attach the shocks and springs to. Not to mention the already mentioned bare models of the Tridion Safety Cell.... which is a whole lot of reinforced steel.

I'm seriously saying you should drive it. And i'm almost guaranteeing you'll like it. My friend said "Death trap" the second he saw it. Took him for a half hour drive from Lehighton, PA to Allentown, PA. Shortly after leaving allentown on the way home, he said flat out "I kind of want one of these".

Sorry for the rant.... i just can't see the point in someone saying that a car is 100% not safe just by looking at post accident injury reports. Did those reports also happen to say what said drivers were doing to have gotten said injuries? Were any of those SPECIFICALLY targeted towards Smart's? Yeah, i know pretty wicked stuff can happen in an accident...... and i know even more wicke

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service