Can anyone help with instructions for installing the WOLO horn in place of the EOM horn. I could use directions for removal of the left fender or front panel. Can the plastic rivits be reused or where can new ones be purchased. Any help will be appreciated... A Willis

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THOSE HORNS ,BUT I TOOK MY CAR TO ALOCALPLACE THAT DOES ALARMS AND SOUND SYSTEMS .THEY INSTALLED A GREAT SET OF HORNS FOR ME ,AND NOW PEOPLE NOT ONLY HERE ME BHUT MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. THEY ARE LOUD ENOUGH AND COMAND RESPECT ON THE STREET. MUCH FUN ALSO
MICHAEL CURZON said:
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THOSE HORNS ,BUT I TOOK MY CAR TO ALOCALPLACE THAT DOES ALARMS AND SOUND SYSTEMS .THEY INSTALLED A GREAT SET OF HORNS FOR ME ,AND NOW PEOPLE NOT ONLY HERE ME BHUT MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. THEY ARE LOUD ENOUGH AND COMAND RESPECT ON THE STREET. MUCH FUN ALSO
Thanks Michael, I may do the same but have some mechanical experience and hope to make the change myself. I am looking forward to the sound from such a small vehicle. A Willis
Allen, some info here: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f75/tutorial-replacing-fact...

Basically two approaches - remove the front panels described at the beginning of that thread, or go in through the wheel well, described in post #55. I tried the second method and found it a lot harder than described so the horn is not installed yet.

And here's another option: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=191
Hope this helps.
go to f q 101 co.uk , how to, then to horn . alot of info for you .have fun, Bill
I have this horn and love it!I had to take the front off to change the lower valance and put the horn in at that time,simple plug-n-play.
I installed the horn in about two hours of struggling through the wheel well. I could have cut the time in half if I 1) made the 8" wire extensions described in various posts, and 2) tried installing the horn behind the frame, not in front. It seems that if you have skinny forearms, it would be much easier (I don't). Therefore, perhaps removing the panels would make it much easier. The mechanics of installation are easy; its getting to the OEM horn and then installing the new one that's tough. The result, however, is worth it. I love sending inattentive drivers through the roof LOL.
there is yet a third way to install the horn. it requires no panel removal or struggling in a wheel well...

The cables to the OEM horn can easily be disconnected from the horn by reaching down the opening behind the left headlight. these cables are long enough that they can come out to the day light and will even clip on to the WOLO horn with no modification. I know this because we did this mod for a fellow smart owner at the Jax smart club. He then just velcroed the horn in a suitable spot... thats it 10 minutes including a break for a cold beer!

remember that the WOLO horn will only work with the right polarity so test it before you secure it. one way it will sound VERY distant and the other will make you jump a good distance!
I think my forearms are too thick. I could barely get a wrench in through the top, let alone my hands! If you can do it that way, it is better than the other alternatives.

SATO said:
there is yet a third way to install the horn. it requires no panel removal or struggling in a wheel well...

The cables to the OEM horn can easily be disconnected from the horn by reaching down the opening behind the left headlight. these cables are long enough that they can come out to the day light and will even clip on to the WOLO horn with no modification. I know this because we did this mod for a fellow smart owner at the Jax smart club. He then just velcroed the horn in a suitable spot... thats it 10 minutes including a break for a cold beer!

remember that the WOLO horn will only work with the right polarity so test it before you secure it. one way it will sound VERY distant and the other will make you jump a good distance!
Fred, get a flashlight and peek in from the top to see the cables plugged into the back of the OEM horn, once you have an idea of where and when, you will be able to unplug them blindly and pull them to the top. if you have Popeye arms get Olive to do it for you.......
Therein lies the problem: Olive didn't think much of the horn idea to begin with. LOL. I could see the cables, but I just couldn't reach them.

SATO said:
Fred, get a flashlight and peek in from the top to see the cables plugged into the back of the OEM horn, once you have an idea of where and when, you will be able to unplug them blindly and pull them to the top. if you have Popeye arms get Olive to do it for you.......
Just for fun I want to install a semi-truck or train horn to see folks reactions to the honk. Has anyone popped one of those babies in yet? I'd love to chat about where you bought it and how the install went.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service