Hello - Here's what my wife wants me to do:

She wants a larger horn for the smart car. So, she found this small air horn. Looks easy enough to install, however it operates with a 30A relay. Two questions:

1) Is there somewhere safe on this car to wire this up?
2) If no to the above, would it be acceptable to install it directly to the battery (fused of course); does the smart car electrical system have enough "overage" to power aux. items like this?

Thanks - Alan

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't need a fuse, don't need a relay; color coding is: The brown is the negative (this is common for European cars), the blue is positive. These Wolo horns are truly plug and play.

Like jwight said,Wolo's are plug-n-play.And LOAD!!!
Well, I installed the horn this morning - here are my observations:

1) I went with the "take off the body panels" process. It really isn't that bad; except, the next time I take off the side skirts, I'm just going to go buy 8 new plastic clips and be done with it.

I'll tip my hat to anyone who can install a horn on this car w/o taking the body panels off. I'm sure it can be done, but I would not have been able to fit by hands and arms in all the small areas.

2) On my 09 car, after the horn was installed, it stuck out just a bit too far, meaning the front panel had an extra 3/8" gap below the driver's side light lens. I didn't like this, so I bent the original horn bracket about 1.5" from the bottom at about a 60 degree angle. This allowed me to put the horn in sideways (when compared to the photogrpah above); allowing the front panel to fit properly and to have the "trumpet" orientated in the correct way according to the directions for the horn. Also, by orientating the horn the other direction, I wasn't stretching the original wiring harness as much, and, the wire's were not stuck between the hown and the frame - I was concerned this may be a rub point for the wires.

I'm quite happy I took off the frotn body panels. The process is quite simple, and now I'm confident I can change the color of my car relatively easily and not have to pay someone else to do it.

Thanks for all the advice!
Congrats on the install. I spent a miserable 30 minutes last summer trying to install the horn through the wheels well - no go, although others have done it. Front panels coming off shortly to finish up the project.

Alan said:
Well, I installed the horn this morning - here are my observations:

1) I went with the "take off the body panels" process. It really isn't that bad; except, the next time I take off the side skirts, I'm just going to go buy 8 new plastic clips and be done with it.

I'll tip my hat to anyone who can install a horn on this car w/o taking the body panels off. I'm sure it can be done, but I would not have been able to fit by hands and arms in all the small areas.

2) On my 09 car, after the horn was installed, it stuck out just a bit too far, meaning the front panel had an extra 3/8" gap below the driver's side light lens. I didn't like this, so I bent the original horn bracket about 1.5" from the bottom at about a 60 degree angle. This allowed me to put the horn in sideways (when compared to the photogrpah above); allowing the front panel to fit properly and to have the "trumpet" orientated in the correct way according to the directions for the horn. Also, by orientating the horn the other direction, I wasn't stretching the original wiring harness as much, and, the wire's were not stuck between the hown and the frame - I was concerned this may be a rub point for the wires.

I'm quite happy I took off the frotn body panels. The process is quite simple, and now I'm confident I can change the color of my car relatively easily and not have to pay someone else to do it.

Thanks for all the advice!
jwight said:
Congrats on the install. I spent a miserable 30 minutes last summer trying to install the horn through the wheels well - no go, although others have done it. Front panels coming off shortly to finish up the project.
I spent about three hours on the garage floor yesterday trying to get a Stebel Nautilus hooked up by going thru the fender well after removing the wheel. I managed to get the horn mounted, but it was about thirty degrees off vertical. Instructions say that it must be within fifteen degrees or you risk future failure. I fabricated an extension bracket that would have raised the horn higher and allowed a more vertical install . . . and then I dropped it somewhere into the depths of the front paneling while trying to install it. After probing around for half an hour with a magnetic pickup tool, I packed it in and reinstalled the original horn. After all the scrapes and dings my hands and arms endured, I'm convinced that the "best" way to install will be by pulling the panels off and mounting it on the passenger side where the second factory horn is meant to go. Now I just need to solicit some help from a neighbor to assist with that. . . wish me luck~!
Which three palstic fasteners are you talking about?

mvaldes said:
You can also install the Wolo Bad Boy horn through the driver's side wheel well. If you turn the wheel all the way to the left, you can reach the 3 plastic fasteners that hold the liner in place. Remove them and you can bend the liner and slide in the new horn in through there. After you take off the factory horn, you connect the original wires to the new horn and mount the Wolo on the other side of the bracket (closer to the firewall). It's a tight space to work in, but I was able to do it in under an hour in 30 degree weather. (I mention the temp, just in case anyone was wondering about the flexibility of the wheel well plastic liner.) There are also good DIY threads on the SCOA forum.
The fender liner is held in place by three "pop" type fasteners. You need something to grab the pin and pull it out - a tack puller, wire cutters or, as I used, an old fork. Pull the pin out and then pull the fastener out.
However, that said - it's way easier to remove the panels than to go thru the fender well. In addition, the horn must be mounted vertically or you risk future failure. The photo shown above is not mounted vertically as required by the Mfg. I gave up on the fender well route and finally pulled the panels - did it in half the time I wasted trying the fender well.
I fabricated an additional bracket out of a 3" L reinforcing bracket from Lowe's. This has two holes on each leg of the L. Cut one end off just past the hole closest to the bend and smooth up. On the other end, enlarge the hole to accept a 5/16th inch bolt and nut. Mount the horn thru it's top hole using a 1 x 1/4" bolt & nut and the short end of the modified L bracket. Mount the other end to the original horn bracket IN FRONT of it. Leave the 5/16" bolt loose until you get it lined up properly and then tighten. Make sure the wires are hooked up correctly and test.
Put the panels back on. Voila - one nice sounding LOUD horn.
This past Sunday I installed the Wolo Bad Boy thru the wheel well as mvaldes did. Took 2+ hours, but would be simpler the second time around.
Was able to install 5 scrapes on my left hand and 1 on my right.
Made use of teenage son whose hands are thinner than mine as an assist from the top side, while I did the work from below. You definately need two people.
The horn is a major improvement over the factory original.
Had to drive thru Boston today and was just waiting for someone to cut me off so I could blast them (didn't happen).
Jim.
We have just added the Original Italian Fiamm Horn (which we later discovered WOLO is copy of). The quality is a bit better, Fiamm is Italian and WOLO is Chinese.

The cost is almost the same, but the quality is a bit better. In case you are interested here is the direct product link:

http://www.smartmadness.com/servlet/the-804/smart-car-replacement-h...
Added these Italian air horns to our smart, great sound. Pics of installation on my smart USA insider web page
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+accessories/exterior+access...

SMART MADNESS - Boris said:
We have just added the Original Italian Fiamm Horn (which we later discovered WOLO is copy of). The quality is a bit better, Fiamm is Italian and WOLO is Chinese.

The cost is almost the same, but the quality is a bit better. In case you are interested here is the direct product link:

http://www.smartmadness.com/servlet/the-804/smart-car-replacement-h...
I added a pair of Wolo electric horns, they are not the air horns most are adding, but the volume is much louder, and the dual tone adds quite a bit. I was told the factory dual tone does not help the volume much and aftermarket is the way to go. I removed the front clip and installed them in the stock location, one on either side of the car. The mounting brackets bolt on under one of the bumper bolts and removing the front clip didn't take longer than about 45 min. and no cuts or bruises. The horn now is about 3x louder, and it sounds similar to a GM car (unfortunatly) people now get out of the way, as do dogs, deer, etc. I have thought about adding the old horn as a secondary horn for saying hello and such. Cost was about $45 from the Wolo website.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service