My front wheels are always partially covered with black, even after i have it washed at Wilds on Clark, where i get free car washes. What do you use to clean the wheels?

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'ma have to try that as well. can't stand all the crud on the wheels of my car. Then again, there's a fairly large amount of crud building up on the side panels too...... stupid rain. REALLY gotta give my car a nice hand-washing again. sucks that my last one was only like a week ago.
If you don't allow it to get too bad, mix up a solution of dishwashing liquid and water...maybe about 1 part dishwashing liquid to 5 parts water...and spray it on the wheels. Then, use a soft bristle brush with long bristles and scrub, making sure to get into all the crevices. Then, rinse thoroughly.

I have found that dishwashing liquid is very effective and very economical for removing brake dust.

If you have allowed the brake dust to become too thick, you'll need to use dishwashing liquid and a MILDLY abrasive scrubber like you would use for teflon pans...something from the kitchen aisle at the grocery store.

Either way...dishwashing liquid is all you need.
Guy H said:
If you don't allow it to get too bad, mix up a solution of dishwashing liquid and water...maybe about 1 part dishwashing liquid to 5 parts water...and spray it on the wheels. Then, use a soft bristle brush with long bristles and scrub, making sure to get into all the crevices. Then, rinse thoroughly.

I have found that dishwashing liquid is very effective and very economical for removing brake dust.

If you have allowed the brake dust to become too thick, you'll need to use dishwashing liquid and a MILDLY abrasive scrubber like you would use for teflon pans...something from the kitchen aisle at the grocery store.

Either way...dishwashing liquid is all you need.
Turtle Wax makes a foaming, spray-on wheel cleaner that is pretty inexpensive at Wally World - like $3.95 for 22 Oz IIRC . . . just got some, so can't say as to how well it works.
Previously I used the remains of the wash soap that I used on the rest of the car. That and a fuzzy mitt seems to do pretty well. . . and don't let it build up~!
Dan O said:
Turtle Wax makes a foaming, spray-on wheel cleaner that is pretty inexpensive at Wally World - like $3.95 for 22 Oz IIRC . . . just got some, so can't say as to how well it works.
Previously I used the remains of the wash soap that I used on the rest of the car. That and a fuzzy mitt seems to do pretty well. . . and don't let it build up~!
Instead of scrubbing, what you need are brake dust shields. They mount on the inside of your rims.

http://www.kleenwheels.com/about_kleenwheels.htm

I've thinking about ordering them. You only need them on the front for the disc brakes.
No matter how well one may wash their wheels, there will still be residual crud left on the back side of the wheel that finds its way to the front within the first two blocks after leaving the car wash.

After I wash my wheels, I drive a couple of miles to spin the wet crud out. I then return home and wipe them down with a rag. They stay looking clean until the next scheduled car was or until the next time the wheels get wet.
Mother's has an all-wheel cleaner. Just spray the entire rim, brake dust, tire, etc. Let is sit and hose it off. I tried it and the brake dust came right off. I am finding that I will have to do this about every 500 miles since the front wheels get so nasty... typical German car.
McGuire rim cleaner; Armour-all wheel protector; both at wally world.
This may sound crazy to some of you, but I have been using this method for years. After I finish washing the complete car, I use an electric leaf blower to get most of the water off the car and wheels. Then I follow that up with micro fiber towels to finish drying the exterior, door jambs, the trunk, and under the service flap. By then, I blow the wheels again and that takes care of the rest of the water. I never use a gas powered blower as most of them are two cycle and may blow some oily mist on the car. About once a month, I remove the wheels to give the back side a thorough cleaning and waxing. It may be a little too much work for some, but I have been in the car show hobby with my other cars for years and this way works for me and I have enjoy a clean car. Did I forget to mention that when the wheels are off, I also detail the fender wells and under side of the car?
That's similar to what many of the drive-through car washes do when you exit. They have these huge blowers that go back and forth to blow off the water so that you don't have to use a towel.
They help. It's better than nothing. My car is fairly dry when I leave and by the time I get down the street, all of the water is gone... especially when it was almost 100 today.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service