My front wheels are always partially covered with black, even after i have it washed at Wilds on Clark, where i get free car washes. What do you use to clean the wheels?

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have used Eagle One aluminum wash and cleaner for years on my Expedition wheels with no damage to the rims. It is an acid based solution. I usually have to use a nylon bottle brush to get them cleaned real good but they do look like new when I am done. I did switch to ceramic brake pads and that made a big difference in keeping the rims cleaner. I figure it is better for the dust to end up on the rims than in the brakes where it will cause problems.
For the first time I tried Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner on the tire and the rims. I pulled over at the car wash, applied the spray on all of the wheels, got in line and when I got out, the wheels were cleaned perfectly. All of the nasty brake dust was gone.

I used to own a VW Corrado with BBS rims and it would take me forever to clean those things with a toothbrush. I wish I had something like this.
I used the Eagle One on my wheels are the car wash. I applied it on the wheels before I drove in. I didn't have to worry about streaks because the car wash also cleans the wheel. It's just without the spray, the brake dust doesn't come off. The Eagle One is formulated to clean the brake dust.

Some car wash places I've been to have to manually put the brake dust remover on the wheels before you drive in. I went to a place for $3 bucks and with the Eagle One, the wheels came out like new. You just have to go through the hassle of getting out of the car, spraying the wheels, etc. before you drive through. Sometimes that can be a pain if you have a line of cars behind you honking for you to go.

Forest said:
If you don't want to get down and clean them that often check out this discussion
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/brake-dust-wheel-coatin...
I use the micro fiber cleaning towels from Walmart Automotive section. It makes keeping the wheels clean a breeze.
Using the spray is even easier because you don't need to do anything. Just spray and walk away. It cleans it automatically. No towels needed.
Don't know. I don't plan on drinking or bathing in it. It goes on my front wheels for less than a minute or two and then it's gone. Whatever it is, it's formulated to remove brake dust while regular soaps won't do that. I'm getting old and tired and the last thing I want to do when it's 100 degrees outside is squat down and clean those rims with great effort.
I used to do that on previous cars. I don't want to do that anymore.
Someone on SCOA recommended waxing wheels. I was sceptical at first but gave it a try last fall. Works awesome! I used run-of-the-mill cheap turtle wax. I did wheels last fall, and again this spring. Dust doesn't seem to stick as much; and when it does, it is very easy to clean it off. And I haven't had the need so far to purchase "wheel cleaner" and have it around. I just wash the wheels last with the same car wash water, although I do use a separate sponge dedicated just for wheels. Hope this helps....Brian
Jim, You are right to put the guilt of dirty rims on the real culprit.....Brake Pads. Typical of manufacturer to use pads that reveal the characteristic Mercedes wheel syndrome. I want to change to a ceramic set too but dont know what brand avail for smart (looking for suggestions or recommendation here!!....pads that don't leave oily grime). For cleaning, I use a cheap corn bristle whisk broom because unlike a plastic bristle kitchen brush, it doesnt have wire twist core to scratch the paint and the long bristles get into the deeper areas too.

Jim VW said:
I have used Eagle One aluminum wash and cleaner for years on my Expedition wheels with no damage to the rims. It is an acid based solution. I usually have to use a nylon bottle brush to get them cleaned real good but they do look like new when I am done. I did switch to ceramic brake pads and that made a big difference in keeping the rims cleaner. I figure it is better for the dust to end up on the rims than in the brakes where it will cause problems.
Not just Mercedes, lots of German cars do this. I'm wondering if you can switch to a semi-metallic brake pad to lower this problem from happening so often? I've seen BMW and VW have this same issues when I see them in traffic.
My dealership recommended ceramic brake pads when I grumped about the dust. He said lots of small cars had the dust situation. I have been using Dawn dishwashing liquid (if it can get oil off, I figured it could get brake gunk off) and a nylon net scrubbie pad. So far, so good, but I will look into the ceramic pads. The brake dust shields looked interesting (they have them on ebay), but I wasn't too sure about them.... if I can see they are dirty, I can clean them. If stuff snuck in behind the shield and I didn't notice it, might be a problem....
I can only guess that German cars are using fully ceramic brake pads. They supposedly last longer but cause this brake dust phenomenon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service