Just read on MSN Money that the smart4two defies conventional wisdom by being one of the cheapest cars in America to insure. According to MSNM you might think that because of its size the smart would be regularly totalled in accidents, but in fact collision claims are low, as suggested by first hand accounts at www.safeandsmart.com.

Safety is attributed to both the features Mercedes has built into smart and to the fact that it appeals to a demographic (old geezers like me) who tend to be safer drivers. According to MSNM average premiums run from $2580 for the Dodge Viper to $831 for the Chevrolet Uplander. The smart comes in at a modest $881. So next time someone asks you what you think will happen if you head-on with a cement mixer, you've got your answer.

Tags: accidents, collision, drivers, insurance, premiums, safety, total

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just took delivery of my black Brabus coupe on May 20. My insurance is through AARP, The Hartford Ins. Co. and I pay $419.00 per year. I am almost 63, with a clean driving record and have my Corvette Z06 with them also. It is just over $400.00 a year also. It pays to be old with a clean record. My other cars are through Hagerty Classic Car Ins. Co. with equally cheap rates.
I did the numbers. Of all the 2009 cars for which data is available there are 291 MORE expensive to insure than the smart4two.

Thirty-six small passenger cars are more expensive to insure than the smart. They include the Volkswagen Eos, BMW I-Series, Volvo C-70, Hyundai Accent, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Volvo S40, Kia Spectra, Ford Focus, Lexus IS, Audi A3, Volkswagen GTI, Honda Civic, Scion tC, Toyota Prius, Mazda 3, Dodge Caliber, Pontiac G5, Kia Rio, Hyundai Elantra, Mitsubishi Lancer, Toyota Corolla, Honda Fit, Volkswagen Rabbit, Chevrolet Cobalt, Chevrolet Aveo, Scion xD, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki SX4 Sport, Nissan Versa, Volkswagen New Beetle, Pontiac G3, Subaru Impreza, Suzuki Reno, Nissan Sentra, Suzuki Forenza, Scion xB.

Seven models in all classes are cheaper to insure than the smart, and only one of those, the Kia Rio 5, is a small passenger car. Of course it is larger than the smart.

Mercedes must have done something right with the smart4two.
My premium is $374 every 6 months with GEICO. I'm in my 40's. Married. No tickets or accidents living west of Ft. Lauderdale. Drive under 10,000 miles per year.

It will be nice when I can join AARP one of these days and get a good rate, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service