Just picked up my Smart Passion and drove it home 164 miles. I noticed that it takes along time to shift between gears. Its almost like it puts on the brakes then shifts, this is in auto mode, and in manual mode its just slightly better. Is this normal? Do I need to take it back for adjustment? Comments please.....Thanks

Views: 406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's normal. It isn't an automatic...it's an AUTOMATED MANUAL. So, each shift will FEEL just like a manual transmission with throttle down, clutch, shift, throttle up.

The shifts in manual mode shouldn't feel any different except that you can anticipate them better.

After a couple of weeks, you won't even notice.
Didn't you take a test drive? Or do any research on the smart?
Yes this is normal and that's the way the automated manual trans works.
You should have driven the '08 before the 2.0 upgrade.
If this is unaccepable, then you won't be one of the smart ones.
(sorry it bothers me when people make uniformed desitions).
John
john said:
Didn't you take a test drive? Or do any research on the smart?
Yes this is normal and that's the way the automated manual trans works.
You should have driven the '08 before the 2.0 upgrade.
If this is unaccepable, then you won't be one of the smart ones.
(sorry it bothers me when people make uniformed desitions).
John
NO John I didn't take a test drive as there was no dealer within 500 miles when I reserved my Smart 14 months ago. I did my homework but have never driven an automated manual. I do know a bit about cars as I build show and race cars for a living, and by the way this is how you spell DECISIONS.............Thanks for all the info guys
Im sorry
I didn't mean to offend
I bought my smart to:
reduce dependance on foren oil
reduce CO2
and yes I am a hippie ( sorry about my spelling )
IIt's my opinion, that anyone that buys a car without taking a test drive is a fool ( remember MY OPINION )
The way I see it you are part of the problem ( race cars )
smart is a way of life , not just a car!
Again , I am sorry for ofending you, but us in washington are tring to My smart has 20,000 save the world, one smart at a time.
My smart has 20,000 miles and I love it.( in 10 months )
Brian - don't waste your time on this site with the intellectually elite yet socially challenged people like John (you'll probably blow up your " spell check " if you do)
The transmission shifting in these cars is rough but you have to have the mindset that you are driving a manual transmission just like Guy H said. Using the paddle shifters is fun and you get used to it fast enough. With the paddles or the stick you can smooth out your ride by using your own judgment about when its time to shift.
If you do drive in "automatic" mode and you feel the need to downshift, just put your gas pedal to the floor real quick and that will drop you down a gear.
Maybe you and your race team can come up with a way to install a CV transmission into these cars. You'll make a fortune.
On thing about driving , when I accelerate, I push the gas pedal 1/2 to 3/4 down and keep it there. Let the car do it's thing. in my opinion the car shifts best that way. It's a little different than how you press down to accelerate in an automatic transmission car.
I resolved that problem with shifting by having Ebiach pro kit springs installed, then had the 2.0 transmission upgrade done. People who own one, but have driven mine, say it makes a world of difference in the shifting!
If you ease off the gas pedal between shifts as it reaches about 3000 rpm's, unless you are fast starting, should smooth out the shifts manual or automated mode. First to second does dip more but should reduce the dip as long as you don't floor it from start.
It seems to me that my Smart's shifting has gotten smoother as the engine has broken in. I now have 5,700 miles on my smart and I am finally seeing better mileage and a smoother ride. I bought mine because I think gas is going to go up, and I could not afford a prius or other hybrid at that time. It just makes economical sense to use and spend as little as possible to get from point A to point B when I am the only passenger. When needed I can always drive my Maxima if I have more than one person traveling with me.

PS I'm not a hippie or a tree huger or a global warming alarmist I bought a smart for economic reasons.

Oh and it looks cool! :)
After reading various reviews on the Smart criticizing its transmission, I was concerned...However, after it arrived and I bought it ( a 2009),I was happy it worked so well... Maybe this is because I have owned many standard transmission cars in the past...I know I am getting better fuel economy than if the Smart had a slippery automatic transmission...Getrag makes good transmissions...
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have kind of figured it out now that I've driven it for a few more miles and yes its just like shifting with a manual and clutch. I did learn to lift at the shift point and it lags a bit less. The car is mainly for my wife who drives it to work and back, about 60 miles round trip and shes also getting used to it. I've been reading the site since its inception and have enjoyed reading all the articles and felt I knew alot about the Smart before mine got here but, I never experienced anyone like John just insulting anyone before and was hoping he was the exception to most users. I see by the comments this is true. Thanks again for the info and I guess I'll keep visiting here for the great comments and Info.
Glad you are sticking around. I too like the information that comes up on this site. Ignore the few people that tend to state their opinions and expect everyone to agree. It happens on just about every public forum.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service