Wide tires in front increases possibility of rollover!

I went to Smart Center Buffalo and inquired about replacing the front tires of my Smart with wider tires. They said that Smart does not recommend this because it increases the risk of a rollover!

I will leave the front tires and instead change the suspension. I'm thinking about changing the springs or getting the Barbus suspension.

Views: 901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this issue has been talked about to death in hundreds of previous discussions...... wider fronts decrease under-steer. thats it! thats all! there are pros to that like MAKING THE TURN!!! but there is also the instance of a stupid driver turning too fast too quick and the car lifting the inner tires off the ground on a TOO permanent of a basis... It boils down to what you want as a design characteristic.. let the driver do his job or compensate for the idiot driver ... Just drive well on your wide fronts!.
Where I live there are pot holes everywhere, I'm not worried about the design, I suggested the wide tires to solve the pot hole problem.
Yes, it increases the risk of a rollover in the hands of a maniac driver. While in the hands of most "average" drivers, wider tires does what sato said "decreases under-steer" which isn't a safety issue plus slightly more comfy ride.
LOL - the stuff dealers propagate these days is akin to Bull**** - but hey, that's just my opinion.
Have had the wider rear rims and tires on the front for about 5 months now. No problems at all, better overall ride, less jarring - and the ability to rotate tires in the future. Do what you think is best . . .
BTW, the Brabus comes equipped with wider tires on the front, too - but the rears are also wider. 195 and 205 IIRC.
If you are going to change to the Brabus suspension, look at the Brabus tires and wheels. The front tires and wheels on a Brabus are the same size as the rear tires on a regular smart. Doesn't make sense that the factory would install tires that the dealer says will cause a rollover! Make 'em all the same size and increase tire life!
Can you change the size of the front tires to the same as the back tires without any other changes to the car? Do I have to get wider rims for the front or just the tires? Does it really give you a better ride with the wider tires on the front?
Denise Tholen said:
Can you change the size of the front tires to the same as the back tires without any other changes to the car? Do I have to get wider rims for the front or just the tires? Does it really give you a better ride with the wider tires on the front?
There are some who have just placed the larger rear tires sizes on the front stock rims. I went with the rear rim/tire option because it seems a stretch to put the 175's on a narrow 4.5J rim. Yes - the ride is better - less choppy and you don't feel every paint stripe in the roadway~! It seems more sure-footed on the highway, too.
When I talked to the man at Smart Center Buffalo he said that I could have the bigger tires put on the front at my own risk. I'm most likely getting the Barbus suspension for my '08 Passion. It's my every day commute and in about a year I'll be driving 4 hours away back and forth from home for school, so I want it to be as cozy as possible.

Off the subject: I'm also considering (in addition to the Barbus suspension) Swapping my blue body panels for black body panels, Smart Center Buffalo offered me 1,100 to get black (that's including buying my blue panels and the labor). Also I'd like to get a sprint booster to help with the transmission lag, tinted windows (to reduce all the sunlight), and angle eye headlamps.
I have Gangster Glass, and you'll Love it...<:-))

Hahahah hot gangster glass! Hopefully mine will look like that soon....

Brabus007 said:
I have Gangster Glass, and you'll Love it...<:-))

I'm sure the smart centers are not going to recommend you change the configuration of your smart, since they 'may' be found liable if you have an accident.

BUT putting the same size front tires/wheels as the OE rear wheels (in my opinion) wouldn't affect the smart so much.

My reasoning is two-fold; First, the difference in diameter between the OE fronts and rears is very minimal. Second, the Brabus uses the same size front tires/wheels as the standard Passion uses on the rear. If that size is dangerous, then why use them on the Brabus?

As soon as I can find another set of OE Alloy Rear wheels, I'm changing mine over. I've talked to a couple people that have done this and the difference in ride quality is amazing.
Maybe they use the same size tires on the Barbus because it has different suspension than the Passion. The Barbus suspension makes the car lower, if I'm not mistaken.

When I get the Barbus suspension I'll ask about getting the front tires changed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service