I'm going camping this weeknd (8/14/09) and i'm trying to come up with a way to get more cargo space. I don't have a lot of money so can't afford the trailer they sell and don't feel right dishing out $600 for the available baskets on ebay. I just need basically the 2 rods that screw into the back and something to go across them to put a cooler and some other items on all tied up with bungies.

Any ideas? :)

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you go to ebay - the bolts are on auction. smarteparts.com has them on the website along with several other back-end addons for the smart.Good luck. For questions, I can be called at 480-229-0199.
Attachments:
Check out www.smartmadness.com. They have the items that are needed to add more cargo space to your smart.
Marilyn,

I tried calling but I got a voicemail for "Joe"

Robert,

I've looked there but they're not exactly for luggage and are a bit pricey.
It has been my experience that quite a lot of crap that gets hauled out to campsites never gets used, and some never even gets unpacked. Lighten the load.
Jim Van Winkle said:
It has been my experience that quite a lot of crap that gets hauled out to campsites never gets used, and some never even gets unpacked. Lighten the load.

I agree. We have been through all that before and now know what we need/want and what never gets used. It's still more than will fit into the back of the smart.
Brabus007 said:

That is EXACTLY what I need! Too bad it's WAY out of my price range and cannot get it or install it in time for this weekend. Oh well, maybe next year.
Linux Rules!

They sell extra 'tow bolts" in the dealer's parts dept. (part #A518990032 Towing Eye)
Harbor Freight sells 2 different styles aluminum or steel, the local stores have them:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92655 and
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34313
Search results:
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=Car...

You'll need to weld a "extension" to the bolts and figure a way to attach them to the carrier. I will be doing the same thing, but I'm not ready yet. The local Jax FL, HF has the carriers for sale cheaper than the online prices, I don't know why. Seems that you would be cutting it close to have this ready for camping this weekend.

Here's Mass. stores
FALL RIVER, MA 35 MARIANO BISHOP BLVD
SOUTH ATTLEBORO, MA 287 WASHINGTON ST. STE 6
W. SPRINGFIELD, MA 1150 UNION ST. #B
WORCESTER, MA 50 MILL STREET

Let me know your outcome.

MJB

btw do you say smart kaa or smart car lol
Well how did it go?
Well, the plans actually fell through. Every one of our friends that were supposed to go camping with us bailed. So I ended up taking the fiancée to visit my uncle and do some geocaching in New York for the weekend. We had a great time. I will be looking into the basket attached to the trailer hitch for future trips though.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.