I don't have a smart yet, but I'm curious... can you jump start them like you can with a real manual transmission? ( push the car, jump in and let out the clutch, and start the engine)
It's a "manual", but has no clutch to pop...
Thanks,
Jim

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never thought about that !!

But, in thinking how the tranny works, I'd say no.

The smart tranny shifts gears by use of an electric motor to "work" the clutch arm instead of a pedal and your leg.

Since you have no juice to work the motor, all you'd be doing is slamming it in gear, like it was a normal automatic, and we all know you can't start 'em that way !
Mud Pie: it's still a manual transmission at heart, since it still has the clutch and everything.

Jim: Not sure if it works, since i haven't had any reason to try it personally, but you could try this.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/169
Yes you can jump start car by1 going to the battery under the left floor board2 where the tire pump is besure to remove red cover on positive side . 3 after start up you may need to take to dealert for computer reprogram. left lights on so have seen it done.. I would think one of the cigarete lighter connection jump kits would work even better just plug in from other car.
Thanks folks for your replys.
Can't wait to buy a fortwo !
Jim.
Bruce, he's talking about BUMP (Compression) starting, not JUMP starting.
Would have to say you can't bump start the Smart car because of the electric clutch. Thanks for the correction as I read Jump not Bump.
Well, bruce, the link in my first comment kinda says otherwise.
You can most certainly push/bump start a smart car. The link below (http://www.evilution.co.uk/169) is correct and safe. While there's no clutch to manmually "pop", holding the shifter in "+" will force the computer to start to engage the clutch when the car starts rolling, effectively popping the clutch for you. I've not had any "need" to use this trick yet, but I have tested it several times and it does work fine.

Joe
Thanks Joe!
That makes me feel good knowing that I could always get it started if the battery died.
Jim.
Bruce, I believe the key has to be "on" to use the 12v plug in for jump starting.

bruce kelton said:
Yes you can jump start car by1 going to the battery under the left floor board2 where the tire pump is besure to remove red cover on positive side . 3 after start up you may need to take to dealert for computer reprogram. left lights on so have seen it done.. I would think one of the cigarete lighter connection jump kits would work even better just plug in from other car.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service