What is the fix on the '09 fuel gauge to be able to register a full tank?

Views: 37

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is no "fix" per se.

The only solution is to not lock the pump on fast fill, better yet, don't lock it at all, just hold the handle up halfway with your hand and let the tank fill slowly.

With only 8 gallons to pump, it doesn't take long.
I have heard of people getting the sensor 'reset' when they take it in for service. Some say it works and a few said it didn't help. This is happening on mine also, but I don't get concerned. I know to refill when I hit 300 miles (Fuelly average 35.8). Also have not heard of trying what Mud Pie mentioned so it is worth a shot. I typically set the handle on lock so maybe it fills to quickly? Will give it a try.
I have not heard of anyone running the car to empty just to see how much fuel it takes to fill up, but I have read the tank itself holds 10 gallons and I believe the reserve warning (flashing fuel pump symbol) comes on when you are down to about 1.5 gallons. Earlier this week I pulled in to fill up with the tank flashing at .7 gallon. It took 8.144 without pressing the trigger again to top it off. So that is around 9 gallons at least.

Let's be careful out there,
Pops and Carlito
Mud Pie said:
There is no "fix" per se.

The only solution is to not lock the pump on fast fill, better yet, don't lock it at all, just hold the handle up halfway with your hand and let the tank fill slowly.

With only 8 gallons to pump, it doesn't take long.
Thankyou for the info....I will try it....I always squeeze the pump trigger all the way so it fills fast.....I will try your way...
Carlito: the manual says that it has an 8.7 gallon tank. 8.14 gallons to what was said to be .7 gallons sound about right to me there.

Also, you don't really have to remember to refill at 300 miles. Ever time this has happened to me where i fill up and the first bar isn't there, it either resets itself automatically after i've driven and shut the car off for a bit, or it just acts as if it was already there to begin with, and i don't see the second bar disappear til around 90 miles or so.
This has come up a number of times and is pretty common. The tank is full. If you fill it until it runs out the filler neck, you will mess up the vapor canister so DON'T top off the tank.

I usually fill on the lowest (slowest ) setting possible, Once it shuts off, I wait until I clean all the windows (about 2-3 min) and then fill using a slow setting by hand. Once it stops, Thats it. Once I started following this, I have no had a 7/8 reading on the fuel gauge (14,000 miles on my 2008, 7,000 on my 2009)
Thanks Ryan, I have noticed it takes a while for the second bar to go down. The reason I mentioned the 10 gallon capacity is from various posts on SCOA on the subject.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/0-00-8-88-gas-tank-1344...
It seems like the controversy will live on forever... ;)
I had the same problem on my 08 Cabrio. I took it in to the dealer a few weeks ago to get the trans update and I mentioned this problem to them. I'm not sure what they did but it hasn't happened again and I've filled up a few times since then.
I took my '09 in with this problem and the dealer took care of it under warranty. The dealer said it was a known issue. The service ticket says they "reflashed" it to read correctly. It has registered properly every time since.
Crud said:
I took my '09 in with this problem and the dealer took care of it under warranty. The dealer said it was a known issue. The service ticket says they "reflashed" it to read correctly. It has registered properly every time since.
would you say that they did a software update?
BillyJets said:
Crud said:
would you say that they did a software update?

Probably. The service ticket just says "reflashed fuel sensor". You can get more info at www.smartcarofamerica.com. They have many threads on the subject in the forums.
Took mine into the dealer for the same problem. They said it was fixed and worked well for about a month. Now it's back to 7/8 full. I'll try the slow fill.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service