we just bought a class "B" RV (conversion van) and put a Blue Ox to tow our Smart. We followed the instructions to the letter (put on Neutral, breaks off, tec.); however from time to time our van sways dangerously (only while towing the Smart) for no apparent reason. Is the Smart too light? did not try the bungee cord trick yet. Does any body has some advice?

Tags: I, am, in, swaying..., the, wind!

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may need an anti-sway bar. This is a bar that attaches from the receiver on the bumper to one of the bars on the tow hitch. It will have some type of resistance mechanism that allows it to lengthen and shorten for turns, etc but will create enough hold to keep the item being towed from making quick movements like swaying back and forth.

Let's be careful out there,
Pops and Carlito
thank you Carlito! some friends gave me this advice as well. Blue Ox says it has a lot of problems with the Smart as well as the Geo (both narrow and tall) and that I need to check that the hitch and the tow bar have a tight fit, they advise as well for a bungee cord... if it helps anybody....
I tow my smart behind my class a rv and have only had one problem, I put something a little heave in my smart while towing and a problem came up where my smart front wheeles would not stay trailering and cause a problem. I decided that the extra weight was the problem, I removed it. I now tow my smart without any extra weight in it and have had no problems. I have had several trips sinse and things are towing well. When I did have the original problem, I used the bungie to complete the trip,.
You definitely want to try to the bungee cord trick. From all I have heard it works wonders.

I work for Blue Ox and this is the first I've heard that we have a lot of issues with Smarts or Geos.
If your willing to provide me the info on your conversation with Blue Ox I will be happy to correct the misconception.

The base plates are designed specifically for the vehicle being towed.
We work with many dealerships around the country, including the Smart Centers, on the installation of Blue Ox base plates and tow bars. You can view the installation instructions yourself on our website.
blueox.com. Click on base plates, enter manufacturer and year. Click search to see the listings. If you click on the part number it is a link for the instructions. Hope that is helpful for you.

We also attend many rallies so we can offer service on your tow bar and base plate to help keep it working to the best of it's ability. Our service people are great to work with and will assist you with any towing issues. You can visit us any time you are in Pender, NE as well. We would love to see you.

So, it's not the Smart that sways but the Van does? Is the Smart the only thing you have towed?

the blues said:
thank you Carlito! some friends gave me this advice as well. Blue Ox says it has a lot of problems with the Smart as well as the Geo (both narrow and tall) and that I need to check that the hitch and the tow bar have a tight fit, they advise as well for a bungee cord... if it helps anybody....
there was nothing heavy in the Smart but obviously the bungee cord seems to do the trick so we'll try it on our next trip! thanks!

jim rankin said:
I tow my smart behind my class a rv and have only had one problem, I put something a little heave in my smart while towing and a problem came up where my smart front wheeles would not stay trailering and cause a problem. I decided that the extra weight was the problem, I removed it. I now tow my smart without any extra weight in it and have had no problems. I have had several trips sinse and things are towing well. When I did have the original problem, I used the bungie to complete the trip,.
thanks! will try it for sure so many people recommend it... wish the Smart dealer would have mentioned it sooner!

Forest said:
Every tow thread I have ever read included the Bungie trick. You need something to keep those little wheels heading in the right direction. It's worth the few bucks over an ani-sway bar to try.
yes, we only towed the Smart. The parts/accessories department manager at my RV maintenance place talked to Blue Ox while I was there and they told him about the Smart and Geos. I sure will look at your website to be sure that it has been installed properly and will look for you at rallies. Thank you for your answer, Blue Ox has been highly recommended to us as being the "Cadillac" of tow bars by both our service people.

KelzBlue said:
You definitely want to try to the bungee cord trick. From all I have heard it works wonders.

I work for Blue Ox and this is the first I've heard that we have a lot of issues with Smarts or Geos.
If your willing to provide me the info on your conversation with Blue Ox I will be happy to correct the misconception.

We work with many dealerships around the country, including the Smart Centers, on the installation of Blue Ox base plates and tow bars. You can view the installation instructions yourself on our website.
blueox.com. Click on base plates, enter manufacturer and year. Click search to see the listings. If you click on the part number it is a link for the instructions. Hope that is helpful for you.

We also attend many rallies so we can offer service on your tow bar and base plate to help keep it working to the best of it's ability. Our service people are great to work with and will assist you with any towing issues. You can visit us any time you are in Pender, NE as well. We would love to see you.

So, it's not the Smart that sways but the Van does? Is the Smart the only thing you have towed?

the blues said:
Safe and Happy travels!

the blues said:
yes, we only towed the Smart. The parts/accessories department manager at my RV maintenance place talked to Blue Ox while I was there and they told him about the Smart and Geos. I sure will look at your website to be sure that it has been installed properly and will look for you at rallies. Thank you for your answer, Blue Ox has been highly recommended to us as being the "Cadillac" of tow bars by both our service people.

KelzBlue said:

the blues said:
what is the bungee  cord trick in detail? thanks

KelzBlue said:
Safe and Happy travels!

the blues said:

KelzBlue said:

the blues said:

ron wiita said:
what is the bungee  cord trick in detail? thanks

KelzBlue said:
Safe and Happy travels!

the blues said:

KelzBlue said:

the blues said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service