I wanted to get some advice.

I will be going on a cruise out of Baltimore in a few weeks and I will be parking my car for 10 days while I am at sea in the cruise port's parking area.

My concern is I would get back from the cruise to find my battery dead?!

Have any of you left your smart parked outside for 10 days and run into any issues???

Thanks!

Tags: battery, dead, storage

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

10 days should be nothing to your battery, unless you leave the overhead light on. My wife did that in her Jeep Grand Cherokee when we went on a cruise about 5 years ago. Just make sure everything is turned off.

If you have the (faulty) factory alarm, all bets are off, as the alarm has a mind of it's own and goes off at random.

If you want additional piece of mind, you can always buy a solar charger, connect it to your battery and leave the panel on your dash. The battery is also inside so it makes wiring easy.
Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to just make sure everything is turned off and chance it. If it won't start I will just get some one to give me a jump so I can get home.

Keep the good ideas coming - I might invest in one of those battery jumpers that you plug into the lighter... Has anyone used one on a smart?
smartRRparts said:
smart makes a battery isolation switch A450 545 00 08 that we install for many of our RVing smart owners. This would eliminate any parisitic draw on your battery while you're gone. If you'd like to go that route either call your local smart center for it or I've got them here and can send one to you.

What's the price on this. I assume it's to 'shut off' the battery, as apposed to isolate two batteries.

awaiting your reply MJB
I find these work good on my top terminal battery's (cars & boat)

"Green Knob" Battery Switch
http://www.mccampingsupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&a...

I did the green knob thingy on the + terminal.

spicejax said:
smartRRparts said:
smart makes a battery isolation switch A450 545 00 08 that we install for many of our RVing smart owners. This would eliminate any parisitic draw on your battery while you're gone. If you'd like to go that route either call your local smart center for it or I've got them here and can send one to you.

What's the price on this. I assume it's to 'shut off' the battery, as apposed to isolate two batteries.

awaiting your reply MJB
Did ya make it back yet and find it alive and smart? You seem to be MIA!
Welcome back!
Zippin Pippin said:
Did ya make it back yet and find it alive and smart? You seem to be MIA!
Welcome back!

I am still here... No the cruise isn't until next year - I was just making preparations... I wanted plenty of time to carefully look at all the options. I didn't think I would get this much feedback this fast...
Brad Garbus said:
Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to just make sure everything is turned off and chance it. If it won't start I will just get some one to give me a jump so I can get home.

Man 10 days is nothing. Leave it parked for a month or two and then you'll have something to worry about. The parasitic draw on the smart is pretty low IIRC, the only thing that draws is the alarm if you have one and the key remote sensor. Don't leave the dome light on and you'll be fine. :)

FWIW the smart is ridiculously easy to "push start" as well - jump it if you need to, but if you find yourself in a position to need a jump and not have one handy, look at the procedure at http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=169 and give it a shot. I've done this several times (as a test) and it works fine, though I usually just tap the gas and don't actually put it to the floor as the instructions suggest. Pretty much get the car rolling while holding the shifter in "+" and the car will start.
never had an issue... i parked mine and didnt drive for two weeks and it ran fine...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service