I am sick and tired of people writing articles on smart car who never actaully drove one or only spend min. time in one. Personally I've had my smart for a year and the reveiws i been readins are BS!!!
Sorry, I love my lil car and these people are talking dirt on it.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a tall torso and find most cars uncomfortable and find it difficult to see out. If I sit up straight in a Mercury mariner/Ford Escape, for example, my head is on the roof (and many cars are worse). The Smart headroom reminds me of a full size van or truck. The thing I love about the Smart is not only the great passenger space, but the attention to the small, common sense details that typically drive me nuts. One example: the passenger sits back a bit, allowing the driver to see oncoming traffic.
I totally agree with you. I've never enjoyed a car as much as my Smart Passion cabriolet. I love the way it handles, the choice of manual or auto transmission. the very comfortable seats. I got my car last January, and have made trips in it all over Florida. It handles great on the Interstate.
You're right. I read a review in the local paper about it being unstablein the wind, and top heavy, especially when cornering. Couldn't be further from the truth. I'll see him & his Caddy Escalade on it's side in the ditch before he sees me in it. How much schooling do "professional reviewers" get before they become "experts" ?
I was asked about my smart the other day by an interested couple- He would like a smart, she drives a full sized SUV and worries about the smart's safety. She thought checking Consumer Reports would be a good idea. I assured her that Consumer Reports hates the smart car. On the other hand, if you ask a smart owner they will tell you they LOVE their car. Most satisfied car owners "like" their car- they don't love it. Car reviews are often driven (pun inteneded) by advertising revenue. smart doesn't advertise. Most reviewers aren't "car people". The paradox is that the car guys and gals who write for the automotive magazines love BMW or Corvette or Porsche. Everything else is measured against those cars. A piece in the local paper the other day gushed about the Veyron appearing at the local auto show. The reporter said tires were "$30,000 a piece (sic)". Veyron tires are handmade Michelins and are $30,000 a set. Does it really matter? Only if you own a Veyron and if you do own one it doesn't matter. But the mis-information is the lay press' stock in trade.
actually I read that article and I didnt think it was "that bad" I felt it was one of the "more honest" then most.
I hate it when people talk smack about a smart. I say put up or shut up, and drive one before you judge it.
Don't let the Bastards get you down. I bet the people you meet on the street are all smiles, and if you give them a ride or just let them sit inside, they will 'get it'.

'Reviewers' are paid for writing stories to get readership, and that sells 'fish wrap', negative always gets more response than positive. Smart cars are for smart, open minded people. Just print up some info on the car and hand it out to people you meet. You will turn on more people than 'critics' can turn off.

That's Just My Opinion I Could Be Wrong.

MJB
My spiceJax page My Video posts
My Blogs If you can stand them.
I love my smart and have had it since feb 08.. but it does take a long time to get used to the transmissions quirky management. My wife wont drive it and our 15 year old did not like learning to drive in it either...
It is hard to sell a car that does have a finicky tranny. I truly wonder how the ED drives?. With that said, there are hundreds of things I love about it, but unfortunately they are not as noticeable to others upon a brief review.
SATO said:
I love my smart and have had it since feb 08.. but it does take a long time to get used to the transmissions quirky management. My wife wont drive it and our 15 year old did not like learning to drive in it either...
It is hard to sell a car that does have a finicky tranny. I truly wonder how the ED drives?. With that said, there are hundreds of things I love about it, but unfortunately they are not as noticeable to others upon a brief review.
I would tend to agree with SATO. Most of us tolerate things in our smart cars as adorable "quirks". Yet, if these same "quirks" were in a Toyota, they would be considered grossly unacceptable.
If I drove a 'Toyota, I would be considered grossly unacceptable'. LOL
Mark B. said:
I would tend to agree with SATO. Most of us tolerate things in our smart cars as adorable "quirks". Yet, if these same "quirks" were in a Toyota, they would be considered grossly unacceptable.

I think this has a lot to do with perception and expectation. People today demand things be a certain way or its garbage. As for the transmission, most couldn't care less about the underlying fundamental difference in the technology. They simply want it to shift smoothly.

Has anyone watched their passengers during a shift of a manual transmission? They do the head-bob each time. The reason is the passengers don't know when to expect the shift. The driver doesn't do the head-bob because he/she knows when THEY will shift. The smart is the great equalizer. Only it knows when the shift will happen and everybody does the head-bob. Reviewers either don't understand of don't care about these little facts. It's a pity for I think the mentality of don't bother me with real facts stifles innovation because companies fear bad reports.
@Rob, Well put!

MJB

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos