Hi all! I've only had my Smart for six weeks and I rarely drive on the highway. However, when I do, it seems that other drivers ignore me - in the sense that they deliberately try to keep me from changing lanes in front of them. Any idea why this would be? Is it because people mistakenly believe that we are slow-pokes?

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I drive my smart on the highway everyday to and from work. I do not have that problem. I just drive it like I was in my truck and the traffic willl get out of your way. I will admit the first few times on the highway I did take it easy until I was fully comfortable driving at highway speeds.
I think you have the right idea. People assume it will barely do 55 and drive accordingly. They get real suprised when you pass them doing 70 or more... err so I have been told, I personally NEVER speed as that would be breaking the law... yeah that's it...
Thanks for your replies! You guys are pretty wild. :)

Seriously, I probably just need to be less timid. I used to drive a Geo Metro so I'm used to small cars - but some reason, I fear that I'm too small in a Smart to be seen on the highway.
Lisa: Well.... the Smart may be short in length..... and width..... but in case you hadn't noticed.... it's roof is actually higher than most sedans. The assistant manager where i work has a new Ford Taurus, and my Smart is a bit higher than it. So while it may be easy to miss one way, it's not quite easy the other.
Well car bullying never occured till the Smart came along We're the smallest safest thing on the road. And the other clunkers cant stand it. "Look @ the new scroney kid on the block, hee heee." thinking the smart measures less. I yes, Only in size and at the pump! ;) So when i drive, i drive like im just as BIG and heavy as the OTHERS. Isn't that the attitude of all small things against BIGGER?

DRIVE SAFE! :D
Funny, the "clunkers" can't stand it! I agree - they ARE envious. And yes, I do like the fact that the Smart is taller than many cars out there. Mine is blue and silver, so I feel that the colors help it to be seen as well.
I like the Mini Cooper - but Smart is WAY better, head and shoulders higher!! :)
Off your meds again?
It's lights are brighter too. The front turn signal lights and side lights just in front of the door are very bright, so it is hard to miss us on the road. The horn, definitely needs a bit more beef. A compact air horn does make a big difference. I still would like a nice deep bass note horn.
Other than that I think we are quite noticeable.
"I still would like a nice deep bass note horn." Hilarious! What a picture that creates!

Zippin Pippin said:
It's lights are brighter too. The front turn signal lights and side lights just in front of the door are very bright, so it is hard to miss us on the road. The horn, definitely needs a bit more beef. A compact air horn does make a big difference. I still would like a nice deep bass note horn.
Other than that I think we are quite noticeable.
The car is not only a joy to drive - it's fun to wash, too. Just washed it for the first time this afternoon. Talk about quick and easy!
Have you seen the shock wave toy that will deliver a blast of air quietly from 6 feet, enough to blow your hair out of place? Now that is what I want my Horn to do besides make noise!
Buueep, Buueep! and blow your hair! I don't want to break any windows, but I wouldn't mind rattling a few! Yes! from that tiny car.
I'm sorry, I can't help it. Some things are just too funny to be left un-done.
I've seen a cartoon of a tiny car that has a horn the size of a Tuba that pops up out of the trunk to blast the car ahead. I want one of those! :D
And yes, I've got my eye on a wind up key!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service