I just got my beautiful Smart Car 2008 but it only has one key. The dealer wants $250 for another. Shouldn't he have supplied more than one?

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our cars when delivered from the dealer... NEW.. are given to us with two keys like most other cars out there. So the question to you is, Where did you get yours?, was it a private sale or through a dealer? how long ago did you actually get it, as you may be able to go back to them and either get your second key or if you are persuasive enough, you may be able to get them to either split the cost with you or have them take that much off of future oil changes or such.
Unfortunately the price on the keys is a bit on the high side to say the least and we are all protecting our keys as if they were made of gold.
Thanks for your reply SATO
I got it through a dealer on Aug 24th but he's not discounting any of the cost of $250 as "you didn't agree it as part of the purchase".
I assumed it would come with 2 keys and queried it within a couple of days of the purchase.
I've tried to get the name of the last registered owner to see if they still have the key but have had no success :-(
I just heard back from the first dealer to sell the vehicle (not the dealer who sold it to me) who was really helpful and contacted the first owner for me. The second key broke about a year ago which is why I only have one.
It was worth a try.....
If I remember correctly, you are better off getting a second key now than loose the one you have.... that would mean having to reprogram/replace the sensor IN the car AND reprogram two keys.. all told mega bucks!
Not everyone bought their Smart solely to "Save Money". I liked it, and bought it period. I carefully broke it in. I take care of it. I stay away from modifications, and drive it as intended. Most of my driving is on the clock, and I get 50 cents a mile on top of everything else. I've already saved more than $250.00 so a new key wouldn't bother me if I needed it.

Larry Butler said:
$250 for a metal key that costs $2 to produce connected to a $10 key transmitter with 3 rubber buttons.

That's about right, isn't it?

My hypothesis is supported. You cannot save money at 40mpg in a Smart.
I agree with you Jim. Not everyone bought their smart cars to save money. I bought mine for the same reason you bought yours...I just like it. I didn't even need a car when I bought mine. I am glad that I did buy it. All of the griping about the different costs that come along with the owning the car are really kind of funny to me. Anytime something is completely new to the USA, it is going to cost money to do anything to it. Once the item becomes a "household" item the costs will become more reasonable. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone when you see that there are one or two dealers for an entire state, that it isn't going to be cheap to do anything. Embrace and enjoy your purchase and if you are like Larry who seems to have a complaint about everything Smart...get rid of it. It's really quite simple. You would do that to any other car that you owned.

Jim Davis said:
Not everyone bought their Smart solely to "Save Money". I liked it, and bought it period. I carefully broke it in. I take care of it. I stay away from modifications, and drive it as intended. Most of my driving is on the clock, and I get 50 cents a mile on top of everything else. I've already saved more than $250.00 so a new key wouldn't bother me if I needed it.
Larry Butler said:
$250 for a metal key that costs $2 to produce connected to a $10 key transmitter with 3 rubber buttons.

You are correct sir.

Spend the $250 now or pay greatly later. If something happens to the only key you have you will have to get a new SAM and 2 new keys. Much more than twice that $250. It is all to protect you from someone stealing your car and then simply ordering new keys. This may be an inexpensive car, but it has many features of hits high end cousins. One is the Immobilizer that is coded with your keys.
First off the Key blade is not something you can just copy at the hardware store, but having the blade does allow you to at least open the car door in the event of total failure of the electrical system. Second that little fob is coded and the car will not start without the proper signal received. In short. This car is not going to be hot wired by anyone.

Many modern cars work this way now, the difference is most no longer have a backup entry system if the battery is completely dead. Not sure how you are going to open the hood on other cars to get to the battery if you can't open the door

SATO said:
If I remember correctly, you are better off getting a second key now than loose the one you have.... that would mean having to reprogram/replace the sensor IN the car AND reprogram two keys.. all told mega bucks!
This has nothing to do with the brand of the car. This has to do with key technology nowadays. All these key are electronic keys and that makes them more expensive. Did you know that if you lose the key for a Saab it costs ~$600 to replace it? Most electronic car keys today cost around $200-$300, so the cost of the key for the Smart is no different that any other electronic key out there. If you want a cheap key, you have to get a car that does not use an electronic key.

Larry Butler said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service