I bought a small trailer to haul my trade show booth. It works great. I like it better than the others I have seen. It was $350 to have one custom made vs. the $650 I have seen in oher places. It is removable. Bolts screw into the tow holes on the back of the car. It is painted to match the back bumper and trailer. This turned out much better than I expected. You would never know that I was able to tow something when it is removed.

JB Bannister
www.weservepapers.com

Tags: towing, trailers

Views: 655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And where did you get this good deal ?
McCurleys Bodyshop on Wade Hampton Blvd in Greenville SC made it for me. I really like it.

JB BANNISTER
www.weservepapers.com
Can you show some pictures ?
I'd love to see some pictures, too. I'd like to be able to use my existing bicycle rack and this arrangement might just be the 'solution', since it fastens to a trailer hitch.
zzzzzzzz
I made my own 1 1/4" hitch myself for under $25. VERY easy DIY project in about 2-3 hrs. A picture of my smart towing my jetskis is on my page. My bike rack fits on the hitch perfectly. I am working on a tool/storage box that will also hold my spare tire for longer trips.
JB- Would it be possible for you to ask the shop what the bolt size is that goes into the tow holes? It's an odd thread and I am looking to find a pair to make my own hitch. Thanks.- Jim
If you go to this site they have a bolt kit for adaption to use for various hitches for the rear of the Smart. Also on the site is a front license plate mount for the front of the Smart

http://www.gominigo.com/Smart-bumper-bolts.html
still a picture or 3 would be nice.
i have the etrailer hitch installed on my passion and love it. it was only $150 total shipped. 149.95 for the hitch and 1 ft of wire took it over the $150 free shipping mark. complete with hardware, instructions, ball mount and pin. i have a link to them on my web page; http://style-upboltcovers.com
I would like to add a lightweight, aluminum scooter lift to my car. The lift is 70 pounds and my scooter is 50 pounds plus the weight of the trailer hitch. Even though the owner's manual does not recommend towing trailers and carrying things on the back of the cars, it seems as though many of you have had success. Do you think that my scooter lift, etc is too heavy for the car?
Hi JB Bannister,
Do you have any pictures of that trailer and the hitch?

How does it effect the gas mileage?

Fred
Dear Cool Smart Dude:
Can you tell me the basics of how to make such a hitch - can you put a few specifics and pictures.
Erange

Mike Knotts said:
I made my own 1 1/4" hitch myself for under $25. VERY easy DIY project in about 2-3 hrs. A picture of my smart towing my jetskis is on my page. My bike rack fits on the hitch perfectly. I am working on a tool/storage box that will also hold my spare tire for longer trips.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service