I would love to hear current owners gas mileage with the Passion---I am on the list, but I am hearing varying accounts of mpg.

Please advise,
Thanks!
Curt

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My last fill up (and best so far) was 46.4mpg. This was mainly highway going 76-80mph w/ a little city driving (this was calculated at the pump). In the short time I've had my mpg gauge, I've found that my gerbil does NOT like the 50-65mph range at all. As I accelerate above 70mph, my mpg keeps going up, although I did not test it above 80mph, something about not wanting a speeding ticket. I've not had a whole lot of time to test below 50, maintaining a consistant speed for any length of time on the highways here is difficult. Before my experiment with 76+mph, my best fill up was 40.1 (once) and that was mainly highway too... the past month my average was 36.1, with 1/2 and 1/2 driving. Still have a lot more testing to do, as I've only had my gauge about a week. Knowing your smarties sweet spots definitely makes a big difference.
Still learning how to best drive my gerbil, but my mpg is gradually going up and up (doesn't hurt that its winter so I don't have to use the A/C... FL is HOT & A/C kills my mpg)
Fuelly
Wow, your MPG is pretty bad. I was concerned when mine was in the low 30's, but to not even get 30... yikes! (you might as well have any other compact car) Your filling up with over 8 gal. per tank... which model do you have? (I barely hit 7 most fill ups, I don't know if I've ever gotten 8 gal.)
Are you using premium gas?

P.S.- click on the text of your post to "edit"

Melissa said:
says I have 15 minutes to edit - but there's no way to edit it. Oh well. I reposted the link.
Melissa said:
09 passion coupe. Premium gas. Auto mode. no hills. 90% city most tanks.
I took my car in for service about a month after I got it because the check engine light came on, and I asked if they could look into the low mpg. They said they had no way to test the mpg (New Orleans dealer sucks). I am selling my car and getting a Honda Insight. The Honda dealer said they would only give me $8400 for trade, so I am trying to sell it privately.

Sorry to hear about your mileage. I would be checking for a restriction in the air filter, etc. I had a Civic that was getting worse mileage because a mouse built a nest in the airbox blocking most of the filter with leaves and grass. You might want to pull the air filter and look in the intake for any type of obstruction. Also, if you can find a gas station that doesn't use or has low ethanol, that could help.

Do you let it idle for any length of time before driving or during driving (frequent delivery stops, etc.)?

Fuelly
Stop and go definitely kills MPG... my drive to the gas station shows up very low on my MPG gauge. Short distance trips (and my husbands driving) give me really bad MPG. Also the more steady you keep your foot on the gas the better the MPG. (Hybrids benifit from the stop and go...)

Don't supppose you have access to someone's scanguage or other MPG gauge to test it out. (Or even another car, any car, on the same route)

Melissa said:
I drive 2 miles to work each day, 2 miles home for lunch, 2 miles back to work and 2 miles home at the end of the day. Basically within those 2 mile trips, there are 4 stop signs and 6 lights (all of which are usually red). So there is a LOT of stop and go. I drive normally, not too fast, not too slow. I've also kep my car in mint condition, garaged, etc...I've tried driving slower, I even took a few trips so the miles would be all highway...still bad. I don't know what else to do. I am very disappointed though
I've had my Smart Passion for about a month now and am very happy with the mpg. I'm getting between 40 to 42 mpg with combination city / hwy driving.
Melissa said:
How do I find/examine the filter? I'll have to do that when I get home and see if there's anything there.:(

It's not likely that there is some type of air restriction, but worth a check. Here's a link about changing the air filter with video: Air Filter Change

One other off-the-wall thought... Put the car in neutral on level ground with the engine off and parking brake off. See if you can easily roll the car by hand to rule out something binding/dragging (brakes).

Your commute is probably the worst possible scenario for gas mileage since the car never gets a chance to warm up, but I would think the trips to the dealer would show better mileage.

By the way, are you using odometer readings with Fuelly or the trip meter? Just curious...
How you drive, also makes a big difference. When we first got our car the days my husband would drive the majority of the time, we'd get very low 30s to upper 20s, verse when I drove we'd get mid to high 30s, had to show him Fuelly before he believed me. When you drive it, driving with a VERY steady foot will also greatly increase MPG. Also making sure you have plenty of distance between you and the car infront helps, so that your not constantly tapping the break, then accelerating.
My car really likes to go about 77mph to get peak efficiency on the highway... or less then 50mph (but I'm not that patient)... for some reason the 55-60mph range for me drops my mpg atleast 10mpg (if not more) according to my guage, so far... still need more tests. This may be atypical.
What did you get for mpg on your previous highway trips? (you mentioned they were low also)
I got 40.5 mpg on my first tank of gas. If you want to get the best gas mileage you need to drive like there is an egg between your foot and the gas petal.

Yes its fun to nail the gas and off you go. But if your after gas mileage, just take your time and enjoy the drive.

An no I was not easy on the gas petal all the time. It is just too much fun to push the car now and then.
Melissa said:
I just filled up again (last tank got 28 mpg), and I am going to drive SUPER slowly this whole tank and see if it improves any. I don't drive too fast as it is. Just normally.

It sounds more and more like there is a mechanical malfunction somewhere to consistently never go above 30 mpg even on a road trip. I've went for some spirited drives in the twisties braking and accelerating out of curves and can't drop below mid to high 30s. It could be a Mass Air Flow sensor problem, restriction in the air intake or exhaust system, mechanical drag due to brakes or transmission, etc. My brother had a bad catalytic converter on a Jeep Wrangler that killed his MPG (which wasn't great to begin with), so there are many possibilities. If a dealer was willing to dig into it, I bet they could figure it out. Finding a good dealer that would be willing to take it on such a bizarre, and typically subjective, MPG problem is always the issue. I had to go through multiple dealers over my AC problem until it was finally fixed (bad expansion valve restricting the flow of refrigerant in the system).
i know nothing about the insides of cars, so i should probably keep my mouth shut, but there has *got* to be something wrong. this car is not designed to get less than 30mpg; it's just not. i would be frantic.
Phyllis Bruce said:
Well, I'm disappointed in my gas mileage. I've put my Mercury Grand Marquis to the side but was getting 22-26 mpg so I think I'm a reasonable driver. I'm having a problem similar to others in that I don't know for sure if my calcs are good - that pesky gas gauge doesn't show full when I fill it up. My perception is that I'm getting 35 mpg and that's a far cry from the 42 I was expecting.

I drive in manual and I'm having a ball!
Don S said:
Phyllis Bruce said:
Well, I'm disappointed in my gas mileage. I've put my Mercury Grand Marquis to the side but was getting 22-26 mpg so I think I'm a reasonable driver. I'm having a problem similar to others in that I don't know for sure if my calcs are good - that pesky gas gauge doesn't show full when I fill it up. My perception is that I'm getting 35 mpg and that's a far cry from the 42 I was expecting.

I drive in manual and I'm having a ball!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service