Here's a thread to let smart USA know what we'd like to see in/for our cars now and in the future. I'll start it off.

1. Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
2. Cruise Control
3. Turbo option
4. Longer warranty

P.S. Add your comments even if they've been mentioned already. The more the merrier.

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This isn't a suggestion for the car, since I don't have one yet and I don't know what I don't like about it, but I think smart really needs to start advertising on television.
The most needed in my opinion are:
1. Tilt steering so I can see the bottom of the instrument display.
2. Adjustable seat belt guide, so one can move the belt further out and stop it putting pressure on the side of my neck. I have removed the belts from my guides, gaining some relief and also put cushion sleeves on them, but still need to push them further out.
I agree with some of the other suggestions also, but think the above are the most needed. If anyone knows a way to achieve the above I would love to hear from them.
These don't stop me from continuing to enjoy my 42 PC, they would enhance the experience that much more!!
Ratings are one thing but actual mileage is another. My smart car and my 2007 Toyota Corolla get nearly identical mileage. The smart is a better car than the Yaris, but I know someone getting 3mpg or more better in her Yaris driving a faster route than me. That shouldn't happen based on the weight and small engine of the smart. The Corolla is much bigger, has nearly twice the engine size, a trunk and four doors but is consistently within 1 mpg of the smart. Smart needs to fix whatever is the problem with their gearing/emissions/efficiency in gas models or bring the diesel.
So, what type of driving are you doing and what's your average MPG ?

Jim.
Using average real world mileage, Corollas do not get smart level mileage, but the Yaris and VW TDIs can almost match the smart on average (see the Fuelly comparison link below). Whenever you compare with someone else, make sure you're comparing the average over multiple tanks of fuel at the same time of year with a similar route and that they have the data (e.g., Fuelly records) to back it up. With an early pump shutoff, anyone can get a great tank here and there and quote it as gospel or look at their MPG readout on the dash and quote the highest number they've seen while coasting. I have a 52 MPG tank in my smart, but I don't reference it since it's not easily repeatable. I also saw 99 MPG on the readout in my truck coasting down a hill, but I don't quote that for the truck either. ;-) I've averaged 45.5 MPG over the past 16 tanks of commute mileage.

Fuelly Comparisons, Part 3

Fuelly

Fish said:
Ratings are one thing but actual mileage is another. My smart car and my 2007 Toyota Corolla get nearly identical mileage. The smart is a better car than the Yaris, but I know someone getting 3mpg or more better in her Yaris driving a faster route than me. That shouldn't happen based on the weight and small engine of the smart. The Corolla is much bigger, has nearly twice the engine size, a trunk and four doors but is consistently within 1 mpg of the smart. Smart needs to fix whatever is the problem with their gearing/emissions/efficiency in gas models or bring the diesel.
There is a plastic clip available at most auto stores, and even at Walmart that will reposition the shoulder strap along the lap strap and relieve the rubbing on your neck. Cost is around 3 bucks.. I have also seen a device that extends the buckle point up higher which should help too. Haven't tried one yet.

Geoff Scholefield said:
The most needed in my opinion are:
1. Tilt steering so I can see the bottom of the instrument display.
2. Adjustable seat belt guide, so one can move the belt further out and stop it putting pressure on the side of my neck. I have removed the belts from my guides, gaining some relief and also put cushion sleeves on them, but still need to push them further out.
I agree with some of the other suggestions also, but think the above are the most needed. If anyone knows a way to achieve the above I would love to hear from them.
These don't stop me from continuing to enjoy my 42 PC, they would enhance the experience that much more!!
Hi XCAPEPOD,
I respectfully disagree with your opinion that Yaris matches Smart. I owned both Yaris hatchback and Smart for about two years (over 30k miles), drove both on exactly the same route, the same driving style, and used the same gas station, the same pump the same method of filling gas up, and took more detailed records than fuelly allows.

On average my Yaris burned about 25% more gas than my Smart.

I hope this helps.

XCAPEPOD said:
Using average real world mileage, Corollas do not get smart level mileage, but the Yaris and VW TDIs can almost match the smart on average (see the Fuelly comparison link below). Whenever you compare with someone else, make sure you're comparing the average over multiple tanks of fuel at the same time of year with a similar route and that they have the data (e.g., Fuelly records) to back it up. With an early pump shutoff, anyone can get a great tank here and there and quote it as gospel or look at their MPG readout on the dash and quote the highest number they've seen while coasting. I have a 52 MPG tank in my smart, but I don't reference it since it's not easily repeatable. I also saw 99 MPG on the readout in my truck coasting down a hill, but I don't quote that for the truck either. ;-) I've averaged 45.5 MPG over the past 16 tanks of commute mileage.

Fuelly Comparisons, Part 3

Fuelly

Fish said:
When ever I lower the convertable top, I can no longer see out of my rear view mirror! I would really like that to be addressed! One more thing....more storage nooks for sunglasses and such!!
1. Stop calling it a "tridium safety cell" , and call it a "crash cage"---sounds much more effective...
2. Forget "recyclable", "environmental",and "responsible" in ads---it sounds like you have to be a liberal tree hugger to buy a Smart...
3. Target the elderly in ads with AARP, like the ease in getting in and out--- they still have money...
4. Show picture of red interior in ads--- it and the front visibility is dramatic...
5. The new model should have a cvt and turbo available---
Robert,
Crash cage may be effective in inciting other images like being stuck in a cage after a crash.. not good!
You point about being a tree hugger is valid but many customers buy to brag about those very things without truly wanting the actual benefit nor do they understand it, a clear example is Flexfuel, people brag about it, pay more for it and in reality 99% never use the alternative.

The ingress and egress from the smart IS a huge point that is most often pointed out by not only the elderly but by tall people like myself.

The red interior is also a great visual that slaps people in the face with smarts forward thinking!

from what I have read, a cvt is not as good in many aspects as a automated manual transmission, now slap a dual clutch automated manual in there (already available in other 3 cyl cars) and you have a fantastic vehicle. The diesel, I'd want with a nice turbo on it!
Longer warranty. 3yr, 36k bumper to bumper should be standard. 5yr, 50k bumper to bumper as an option.
TurboDiesel and/or better mileage on the ICE engine. maybe an "econo-mode", i rarely need all the power that my 2008 or 2009 Passion has.
Adjustable height on rearview mirror
adjustable height on seatbelts
better sound insulation
paddle shifters should not rotate with steering wheel
daytime running lights
usb-input on stereo
cruise
dealer-installable option for alarm system

better marketing:

these are very safe cars, emphasize this.
these are perfect for teenagers:safe, fuel-efficient, and no back seat! (ain't nothing happening in the front seat of a smart)
cost of ownership-over the course of years, what does it cost for maintaining a smart vs a traditional car?
tall and big people fit in these cars. show this!
these are perfect for retired people. safety, large doors for simple entry and exit, cheap to keep, easy to drive and park, holds a cart full of groceries easily.
push the green/sustainability angle more: from design to build to delivery, all aspects of this vehicle are much more considerate to our planet than other vehicles.
Some great suggestions so far but pretty much overcome by events. The 2011 model "refresh" will be it for the current 451 in my opinion. The upcoming smart/Renault version (due 2013/14) will be substantially different under the skin; the good news is it will apparently be based on an updated Renault Twingo chassis (and perhaps engine).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service