Has anyone had their Smart long enough to have gone through snow in the winter?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for starting this topic, I've been wondering about winter weather as well. sure hope chains aren't the answer, I've used them years ago, the noise and vibration are horrible, and they limit your speed to about 20mph. Around here, even 40 mph in the snow is way too slow for the idiots in SUVs who think and drive like they are immortal
The all seasons handled all that this last winter threw its way. I would like to have a set of steel wheels and dedicated snow tires for the coming winter. Just can't find them for under $1200 USD
karl
We've driven our smart through two winters (some Canadian smarts have already made it through 4 winters) and it has performed very well so far, and we had record snows this year in S. Ontario. I can't recall being stuck yet, and the car's electronics make for a fairly stable ride in snowy conditions. Most people seem to use winter tires though some have safely made it through the winter using all-seasons...I'd recommend the winter tires for safety. I have a set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels and I think they cost something close to $1100.
I have had our 2009 Smart since last July, and have had it through a Minnesota winter, but for the most part it stayed in the garage. We did manage to take it out a couple of times with the stock tires but I would not recommend it. We are looking into snow tires for this winter
I have a 2009 smart, cabriolet, and was wondering if I can change over the alloy wheels with stock steel wheels? I want to get snowtires but not the hassle of the change-over in the spring. Any thoughts?

Garth said:
We've driven our smart through two winters (some Canadian smarts have already made it through 4 winters) and it has performed very well so far, and we had record snows this year in S. Ontario. I can't recall being stuck yet, and the car's electronics make for a fairly stable ride in snowy conditions. Most people seem to use winter tires though some have safely made it through the winter using all-seasons...I'd recommend the winter tires for safety. I have a set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels and I think they cost something close to $1100.
I got my smart in November last year. Put snows on it within a couple of weeks. Drove it to work every day when it snowed. No problems. The traction control does want to kick in earlier than I want it to, but it's just doing its job...
I put snows on all my cars, even my wife's all wheel drive Toyota Venza.
They add a margin of safety that I can't imagine doing without. Why wouldn't anybody want that advantage???
Good luck,
Jim.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos