Automotive News Europe reported that Daimler R&D chief Thomas Weber confirmed there will be a BRABUS version of the new 453: http://europe.autonews.com/article/20140722/COPY/307259990/smart-to...

The big question: will smart bring the full, high performance BRABUS version to the USA?  They didn't do that with the 451 BRABUS, a huge mistake IMHO.  Now they have the chance to give US smart buyers the complete BRABUS package - let's hope they don't make the same mistake again.

Views: 209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the crappy power unit of the US/Canada 451 BRABUS was a massive turn-off so it really is necessary to have the full BRABUS powertrain if another BRABUS is sold here.  It would also open up a lot more marketing opportunities, making the car appeal to driving enthusiasts more.

Performance-ish version would be nice. I actually bought my 2013 Smart because I read online that a new Brabus turbo was out. Went to the dealer to order one only to find it was EU only. Ended up buying one off the showroom anyway. 

FWIW, any new Brabus 453 would have to make in excess of 120hp to be considered "sporty". With the current increase in weight of the 453 over the 451 the currently offered 90hp version has the same power:weight ratio as the 451's 70bhp. I think the addition of a CVT or MTX will make huge gains in acceleration times though. So while it'll accelerate faster (due to faster shifts) unless it makes a bit more power it's not going to "feel" any stronger due to the added weight. 

just my $0.02

FWIW, the 451's curb weight is always shown as 1,808 lbs; the 453's is shown as 880 kg, or 1,936 lbs - a 128 lb (7%) increase.  We'll have to see what the road tests show but I think the 90 hp turbo engine will outperform the current 70 hp 451 to some extent.  As for transmissions, the 6 speed DCT is the only non clutch pedal option for the 453; coupled with the rumored 110 hp Brabus engine that would be a great performance combination (performance being a relative term for the smart, of course.)  However, somebody at the mothership has to make the decision to bring the new Brabus to North America or the issue is moot for us.

Matt Mullis said:

Performance-ish version would be nice. I actually bought my 2013 Smart because I read online that a new Brabus turbo was out. Went to the dealer to order one only to find it was EU only. Ended up buying one off the showroom anyway. 

FWIW, any new Brabus 453 would have to make in excess of 120hp to be considered "sporty". With the current increase in weight of the 453 over the 451 the currently offered 90hp version has the same power:weight ratio as the 451's 70bhp. I think the addition of a CVT or MTX will make huge gains in acceleration times though. So while it'll accelerate faster (due to faster shifts) unless it makes a bit more power it's not going to "feel" any stronger due to the added weight. 

just my $0.02

Oops, my apologies on the cvt / dct mix up. It was late! I had always read that the curb weight was 1650lbs....not 1800. That will skew the power:weight radio I mentioned but the principle is still the same.

Yep, extra weight is an issue, but the 90 hp turbo engine will also deliver 90 lb ft of torque, a considerable increase over the 451's 68 lb ft.  I'm betting the 453 will be somewhat quicker off the line than the 451.

Matt Mullis said:

Oops, my apologies on the cvt / dct mix up. It was late! I had always read that the curb weight was 1650lbs....not 1800. That will skew the power:weight radio I mentioned but the principle is still the same.
Agree. Still floored we never got the diesel option. I understand diesel is a hard sell in America but the people buying smarts are already sold. Having 100tq and 65+ mpg makes a smart a no-brainer
Hard sell in America is BS to me. Ford used the same line with the Focus. If it's not offered you just have to pick something else. If Smart was to offer the Diesel, I'd order one.

There will be no diesel C453 smart in any market at this point. 

Mike & Carol said:

Hard sell in America is BS to me. Ford used the same line with the Focus. If it's not offered you just have to pick something else. If Smart was to offer the Diesel, I'd order one.

Yup the diesel is dead, never to return. I am glad that I have one already!

As an owner of a tdi I feel comfortable saying that a diesel would be a hard sell. Especially considering that regular gas is $2.77/gal and diesel at the same station is $3.53. Typically diesels are slower than petrol counterparts and the last thing the smart needs is to be slower.

just my observation.

It was a hard sell even in Europe.  smart only sold 140,000 diesels in Europe between 1999 and 2006, when 770,256 cars were sold.  So, for a car primarily sold in Europe, the market penetration of the diesel version was unusually low.  Canada was the only market for the 450 that got only diesels and 10,239 of them were sold here.

It's not hard to figure out why the diesel was abandoned.

Mike, what were the 451 diesel sales numbers (~2007 to present)?

Mike T said:

It was a hard sell even in Europe.  smart only sold 140,000 diesels in Europe between 1999 and 2006, when 770,256 cars were sold.  So, for a car primarily sold in Europe, the market penetration of the diesel version was unusually low.  Canada was the only market for the 450 that got only diesels and 10,239 of them were sold here.

It's not hard to figure out why the diesel was abandoned.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service