Saw this on CBS news, ex oil exec says 5.00 per gallon gas by 2012, article here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/29/earlyshow/main7194381.sht...

Makes a Smart purchase even more "Smart"

Views: 1827

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

been there before, everyone envied my little smart last time. the snide comments about smarts will fade away again.
The guy is probably right - he could have easily said $6 or $7 and still be right eventually.   As to his point on the USA being unable to reduce consumption - can't agree.  Unwilling, yes.  But we certainly have the means to reduce consumption if people are willing to do what's required.  And BTW, even at $5 a gallon we'll still have the least expensive gas prices compared with other industrialized nations.
Listening to one of our local news stations here in Denver last PM. They ran a short blurb about high demand for oil in India and China was predicted to drive up oil prices here in the States (the piece mentioned a barrel over $100 again), so don't be surprised gas goes to $4.00 per gallon by summer. Not sure whether they meant here in Colorado, or in all of the US. We shall see, but if it does, I'm sure people will be looking twice at Smart....
I'm hoping it leads even more people to purchase "Smart"!  I love seeing other Smarties on the road.
As I drive less than 7,000 miles per year, I am Smart-ly prepared for $10.00 per gallon gas...
Gas prices still climbing here. A recent report states they are the highest they've ever been here at this time of year...
News announced today that the price of crude rose 6% due to Libyan crisis....
but our market is economy driven, the european market is heavily taxed to the point of $5-8 a gallon.

jwight said:
The guy is probably right - he could have easily said $6 or $7 and still be right eventually.   As to his point on the USA being unable to reduce consumption - can't agree.  Unwilling, yes.  But we certainly have the means to reduce consumption if people are willing to do what's required.  And BTW, even at $5 a gallon we'll still have the least expensive gas prices compared with other industrialized nations.
the thing is, libya is 1.5 million barrels a day, not much. obama killed off shore drilling for 7 years, against a court order (i.e. he's in contempt of court!) and he's limiting the "cracking" of oil shale, where we have more oil than the middle-east. he's creating an intentional "shortage" while we have more oil than the rest of the planet. if obama would let us drill here, we'd have $1.50 a gallon gas, and not have the ethanol added! obama is making a "perfect storm", supporting radical muslims who disrupt everything they encounter, and crippling the US industries with absurd regulations

Humm, I think that BP kinda killed off the off shore drilling pretty good all by it's self and the "cracking of oil shale" is not oil but gas and the states are looking in to limiting this (NY state, etc) because of ground water contamination, etc.

I'd rather pay $10 a gallon for gas and have clean water, than have cheap gas and polluted rivers and drinking water.  Clean water is far more important than oil.

By "radical muslims who disrupt everything" do you mean the brave people of Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, and Bahrain who are putting their lives on the line so they don't have to suffer torture from police? So they can speak freely, so they can choose their leaders, and so they can have access to things as basic as food?  If those are the people you are talking about then the fact that most of them are Muslim has nothing to do with it.  They are PEOPLE who want a better life for themselves. People who WISH they had something as trivial to complain about as the price of gasoline.. If we have to pay more for gas, then it's a small price for us, who are lucky enough to live in the country we do, to pay.

I find it hard to believe that our regulations are crippling business.  Our smart cars are made in France, a place that has socialized medicine, legal requirements for business to give proper vacation time, and I'm sure they have plenty of regulations. Yet, the smart car remains in production.  German companies seem to make a profit, as do plenty of European companies.  The have expensive gasoline, corporate regulations, unions, health care and yet they still manage to do OK.

That's my opinion, and I'm going to leave it at that.  I'm not looking for a debate, you're free to have your opinions.  I hope your smart car treats you well!

james g said:

the thing is, libya is 1.5 million barrels a day, not much. obama killed off shore drilling for 7 years, against a court order (i.e. he's in contempt of court!) and he's limiting the "cracking" of oil shale, where we have more oil than the middle-east. he's creating an intentional "shortage" while we have more oil than the rest of the planet. if obama would let us drill here, we'd have $1.50 a gallon gas, and not have the ethanol added! obama is making a "perfect storm", supporting radical muslims who disrupt everything they encounter, and crippling the US industries with absurd regulations
The disarray of Middle East governments is an excuse to raise gas prices...The supply of gas remains the same...However, the higher gas price makes my Smart brilliant...The sales in Mercedes dealerships make my Smart classier...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service