Saw this on CBS news, ex oil exec says 5.00 per gallon gas by 2012, article here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/29/earlyshow/main7194381.sht...

Makes a Smart purchase even more "Smart"

Views: 1791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we have heard that gas prices will hit the$5 mark many times now and they have not gotten close yet. Still glad I got my '09 Pure, with 62,000 miles on it, I bet it has paid for itself in gas savings.

Hey Jim,

Assuming that you replaced a 20 mpg vehicle with a 40 mpg vehicle and that the average fuel cost is $4/gal., you have saved about $6,200 in fuel costs.  You are about half way toward having fuel cost savings to pay for your entire car.

When you consider that the smart was less expensive than the car that you probably would have purchased otherwise, then there is an instant payback ;)

Jim VW said:

we have heard that gas prices will hit the$5 mark many times now and they have not gotten close yet. Still glad I got my '09 Pure, with 62,000 miles on it, I bet it has paid for itself in gas savings.

When I first posted this discussion, it was last year, when gas prices were at $4.00 + dollars a gallon, at least here in the West. While gas prices here at this time are slightly below $3.00 per gallon, and hopefully gas prices by next year will not hit $5.00 per gallon, anything is possible. One refinery going down due to a fire, hurricane, etc,  OPEC tightening the screws, terrorist bombings on an oil pipeline, or other actions in the Mideast could very easily drive prices back up....

Oil right now is around $94/barrel.  Yes, anything can happen.  What's more likely is lots of rumors floating around making speculators drive up oil prices (or just their own greed.)  Average gas prices now are in the mid three dollar range.  Not exactly the end of the world.

steve campbell said:

When I first posted this discussion, it was last year, when gas prices were at $4.00 + dollars a gallon, at least here in the West. While gas prices here at this time are slightly below $3.00 per gallon, and hopefully gas prices by next year will not hit $5.00 per gallon, anything is possible. One refinery going down due to a fire, hurricane, etc,  OPEC tightening the screws, terrorist bombings on an oil pipeline, or other actions in the Mideast could very easily drive prices back up....

On average, how much do you pay for a full tank of gas in your state/region?

Premium gas is still at $3.30 a gallon here, so about $27.00 for a fill-up......

Premium is $3.19/gallon in Dayton today; regular is under $3.00/gallon.

Rising gas prices are not the end of the world, but it is the beginning of high sales of Smarts...

I wish this was the case, but before high sales of smarts can occur, smart needs to figure out how to sell them.. I would make the bold suggestion that setting up dealerships would help.   Otherwise it will be an opportunity lost... For instance, consider that there are two FIAT dealers in Minneapolis and not a smart dealer for hundreds of miles.

Robert Stout said:

Rising gas prices are not the end of the world, but it is the beginning of high sales of Smarts...

Gas is already pretty much around $4.25/gallon here in Los Angeles, and that's 87 octane.  The predictions of $5.00 might be underestimating how high they'll really get this Summer.  Needless to say, I'm glad to be in such a small car that is fun to drive, has great fuel efficiency and an incredible amount of active and passive safety features especially considering its price class.

I saw a piece on our local news several nights ago that I believe showed a station somewhere in California where regular was now $4.63 a gallon, so we're getting close once again in some areas it looks like. Memorial Day we'll see how much gas has risen. Still at a relatively cheap $3.24 here for premium.....

I'm in San Diego and we have the HIGHEST gas prices in the US currently...hard to find 87 for less than $4.50, let alone Premium...so happy I have the fuel efficient Swatch Mercedes ART!!! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service