Saw this on CBS news, ex oil exec says 5.00 per gallon gas by 2012, article here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/29/earlyshow/main7194381.sht...

Makes a Smart purchase even more "Smart"

Views: 1797

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oil futures prices suggest that gasoline prices will continue to go up in April...Anything beyond that time frame is pure speculation of the oil speculation...If politicians would stop talking smack about an attack on Iran, the price per gallon would go down...

Gas here in Minnesota (southern) actually dropped 9 cents today.. At least it is heading the right direction. current price is $3.62 prem. 

It's up to $4.29/gallon of premium in Miami.  At a gas station near the airport I saw it for $4.65/gallon!

Folks who drive large SUVs should consider emigrating to Venezuela where the (government subsidized) price of a gallon of gas is 12 cents a gallon...Hugo Chavez is popular in his own country...

Latest word in my email is that the oil companies are closing the refineries in this country.  As usual nothing in the news during an election year, guess they plan on waiting until they are all closed to tell us.  Oh and it will be one more reason for raising gas prices further.

I have a 17 mile commute (each way).  I am working on learning hypermiling techniques.  Today I did my trip home at 55.4 mpg.  My commute is on county roads with posted speed limits of 30, 40 and 50 miles per hour.

That is outstanding !!!

Jim Gausman said:

I have a 17 mile commute (each way).  I am working on learning hypermiling techniques.  Today I did my trip home at 55.4 mpg.  My commute is on county roads with posted speed limits of 30, 40 and 50 miles per hour.

I looked forward to the diesel smart being released in the USA and I am disappointed that I had to settle for a 1 liter gasoline engine.  I am also quite disappointed that smarts do not have a manual transmission with a clutch pedal.

I could get so much better mileage if either the diesel or the manual tranny were available to me.

Looks like you really want a Golf TDI....

There's not going to be a USA version of the diesel 451 and the whole idea behind the current Getrag automated manual transmission is to save weight and space while providing a car everyone can drive, even most Americans (since very few Americans can drive a manual at this point.)  I wish the smart was a Corvette ZR-1, but it isn't.  

Jim Gausman said:

I looked forward to the diesel smart being released in the USA and I am disappointed that I had to settle for a 1 liter gasoline engine.  I am also quite disappointed that smarts do not have a manual transmission with a clutch pedal.

I could get so much better mileage if either the diesel or the manual tranny were available to me.

It just seems as if one of the attributes that would sell a quirky car like the smart is excellent fuel economy.  It strikes me as odd that smart does't seem to want to beat a car like the VW Golf TDI at gas mileage.  Perhaps they don't have engineers that are that good.

Yesterday I was stuck in traffic and the person in the car next to me asked what kind of mileage that I am getting.  I was able to truthfully tell him that this time of year I get nearly 50 mpg, but that it droops to 40 mpg in the winter.  

With what I know about driving efficiently, an option for a clutch pedal would easily put me over 70 mpg.

Since smarts are no longer supported in my neck of the woods I have to work on the car myself.  

Somehow, I think that the dumbing down of Americans so that they cannot even do an easy task like driving a manual transmission car is inexcusable. 

jwight said:

Looks like you really want a Golf TDI....

There's not going to be a USA version of the diesel 451 and the whole idea behind the current Getrag automated manual transmission is to save weight and space while providing a car everyone can drive, even most Americans (since very few Americans can drive a manual at this point.)  I wish the smart was a Corvette ZR-1, but it isn't.  

Jim Gausman said:

got fuel last night, premium (91 octane) is now 3.99/gal 

Not bad, $4.46 for me, Shell V-Power 93

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos