I am at the dealership, Herb Chambers.  My ABS light came on and I am being told that the sensor on the right front brake is no good and needs to be replaced to the tune of $300.  This doesn't seem right since I have only 5,500 miles on the car.  The car is 2.9 years old...so as you can see I don't drive it a lot.  The driving I do is mainly city driving...I only live 3 miles from where I work.  The car is off warranty.  Does it make sense that the ABS sensor would fail?  Appreciate any feedback.  thx, Wanda

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The price seem a bit high.  I would contact an independant garage and see how much labor they would charge to change out the wheel speed sensor.  It shouldn't be too much.  You can still buy the sensor from the dealership parts department.
I'm not an expert but those with knowledge on the topic tell me that wheel speed sensors are a pain in the neck and elsewhere.  Your story causes one to think about buying extended warranty protection. 
By "no good" what do they mean - they need to be more specific than that.  Since your car is very low mileage I'd ask them to get the regional manager involved and see if smart USA can contribute to the cost of repair as a goodwill gesture.  No idea what the part costs from smart USA, but they're available in the UK for less than $50: http://www.reluctorrings.com/smart_car.php

Wanda, 

Inbox me your contact information and I will ask 1-800-smartUSA to get in touch with you.

- Eric

Hi Eric,  no response from SMART yet.  I think I will call the 800 # on Monday.
I posted a follow up last week and am not sure where it went but don't see it here so will try again.  I wanted to let everyone know that SMART & Herb Chambers in Somerville, MA worked this out for me.  I wanted to thank Eric, Maria, and Brandi who were all great!!  My car has been repaired and I am picking it up today.   Wanda 
Very good to hear - great result!  What was the fix?

Wanda Shelton said:
I posted a follow up last week and am not sure where it went but don't see it here so will try again.  I wanted to let everyone know that SMART & Herb Chambers in Somerville, MA worked this out for me.  I wanted to thank Eric, Maria, and Brandi who were all great!!  My car has been repaired and I am picking it up today.   Wanda 
Wanda, What ended up being the cause of the ABS light being on?  What was the fix?   Inquiring minds would like to know.  Thanks.
Sorry guys...here is the detail.   I am told the rotation counter (apparently part of the braking system) had a broken tooth which damaged the ABS sensor and caused the ABS to activate when braking.  btw I have had a "flutter under the floor board" since I bought the car new.  The flutter is no longer there.  Makes me wonder if the car has always had this problem.
This will give you some info on the reluctor rings used on all four wheels to communicate with the ABS; you'll see that a damaged ring can cause the ABS to activate (the flutter under the floorboard you also feel when the car starts up)  http://www.evilution.co.uk/453

Wanda Shelton said:
Sorry guys...here is the detail.   I am told the rotation counter (apparently part of the braking system) had a broken tooth which damaged the ABS sensor and caused the ABS to activate when braking.  btw I have had a "flutter under the floor board" since I bought the car new.  The flutter is no longer there.  Makes me wonder if the car has always had this problem.
thx!

jwight said:
This will give you some info on the reluctor rings used on all four wheels to communicate with the ABS; you'll see that a damaged ring can cause the ABS to activate (the flutter under the floorboard you also feel when the car starts up)  http://www.evilution.co.uk/453

Wanda Shelton said:

The ABS light came on my dash last week while I was driving and stayed on. I had a my mechanic look at it and replaced the sensor in the right rear wheel. The light is back.

Is it the sensors or the reluctor rings?

This a 2008 Passion with 44K miles.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.