My original deal fell through and a lot of other things have happened (blah, blah, blah) so I bought something else.  Now I'm back into smart and have looked at some used ones as well and was wondering if I should I still get one?  Hoping to get into one in a month or so.  Anyone have regrets or are you still in love.  I see so many around town here and keep wishing I would've gotten one.  I'm happy to see this site is still active.  I love this community.

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am still happy with mine. I have had it 2 years (as of next month) and due to working out of town, have just under 10,000 miles on it. So far no issues!! Reading some of the disastrous issues that have been posted here, I have a tiny fear it could/will happen to me which creates an uneasy feeling related to the transition from Penske to MB, but so far I am glad I bought it and have no plans to sell. Especially with gas prices so high...

Let's be careful out there,

Pops and Carlito

My wife and I have had ours for almost 2 years and haven't had any issues either.  I see alot of articles on the web about Smart cars being poor choices but for our situation it has been great.  We are empty nesters, use it as our everyday car and know exactly what we have.  It doesn't accelerate like a Corvette, ride like a Cadillac and hasn't gotten rave reviews like the VW models (which my car is constantly compared to when people ask what it gets for milage) but it didn't cost $35,000 either!  I still get a kick out of the looks and laughs and it gets us from point A to point B realiably.  It is also surprising good in snow which seems to not want to stop in Wisconsin!  I would say we got more than we expected..........................

I have had my Smart Car for just over one year and have driven about 17K miles.  I still love the car.  Its fun to drive.  I am averagering 40MPG now that I started driving it like a economy car rather than a sports car.

If I had to do it over again?  You bet!
Thanks you guys!  It's great to hear that you're still happy with your smart.  Yeah, I'm curious to see how the transition goes as well.  Hope to get mine soon.  I can't wait to get jetin' around town!  It gets kind've crazy parking downtown for baseball games so the smart will make it a breeze.
Still in love with mine last year I went from a passion to a carbio would not trade it for the world!!!

I had my smart since the end of May, 2008. It has approximately 49,500 miles. I have tracked 47,500 miles and I have averaged 45 mpg. The longest trip that I’ve been on is 1100 mile. It was from Mentor, Ohio to Columbus, Ohio to South New Jersey and back to Mentor, Ohio in August, 2008. The average speed was 72.5 mph. The average mpg was 41.5--and that was using the air conditioning. The smart is use as my primary work vehicle and I normally travel 90 miles/day, 4 days/week. I purchased the 100,000 extended service contract and so far I have had no problems. I follow the regular service schedule. It is still a head turner--I still get more smiles/mile. Would I do it again…YES I WOULD….

My Smart has only 32,000 miles on it, and Am told by the dealer that I have to have a new head.  It is going to cost me around $6,000.  I looked up book balue on my Smart.  With leather interior and it being a convertible, high book value is still only just under $10,000.00.  Does not really seem worth putting another $6,000 into it.  Who would ever expect such major problems at only 32,000 miles.  Only now do I seroiusly regret buying my Smart.  I am actually ashamed that I bought it. 

DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.  i ORIGINALLY TOOK IT TO THE DEALER BECAUSE IT KEPT GETTING HUNG UP IN NETURAL.  WELL, THEY FIXED THAT.  WAS FINE ALL THE 150 MILE DRIVE HOME.  NEXT DAY ON MY WAY TO WORK ON THIRD SHIFT CAR WOULD NOT SHIFT INTO HIGHER GEAR.  HAD TO CALL SOMEONE TO PICK ME UP AND TAKE ME TO WORK.  HAD IT TOWED TO EASTON SMART CENTER.  WAS TOLD THAT THERE IS NO COMPRESSION IN THIRD CYCLINDER AND THAT I NEED NEW HEAD.  UNFORTUYNATLY, I CANNOT FIND ANY MECHANIC AROUND HERE THAT IS QUALIFIED TO WORK ON SMARTS.
Maybe a dumb question to ask, but this wasn't under warranty?
Christy reported that her Smart had 32,000 miles on the clock.   The factory warranty expires at 24,000.  Perhaps MB or Smart has some goodwill money tucked away where they could help out since the head went bad at only 8,000 miles out of warranty.  I wish Christy the best of luck on this.   And I think I will buy the Smart extended warranty before my car's warranty expires.   This is a lesson well learned for me.

kurlee -

I have owned my Smart only 6 months.  Buying it used with only 2,700 miles on the clock and under 6,000 miles now, I am learning something new about my Cabriolet nearly every week.   I recently learned that my car has rain sensitive wipers.  Just set it and forget it except when going through a carwash.  Who knew??  I enjoy my car very much other than the harsh ride and a lot of brake dust collecting on the front wheels.   But getting 42 mpg around town takes some of the pain away.  Overall, I am very pleased with my Smart.   Take care.

- Joe

Still love mine after 2+ years and 20,000 miles!  Includes trips from Chicago to Arizona, Minnesota, Michigan & New York.  Yes, I've replaced a windshield (rock hit it) and a back bumper (car hit it) and headlight bulbs (seems to happen once in a while)-- and it sometimes rings after I've shut the key off...but I just click the key back on and off again.  I still get looks, smiles, and thumbs ups when driving around.  When they were fixing the back bumper they gave me a mid-size rental car--and it felt like a boat and a cave at the same time.  It was GREAT to get back in my smartie with its good headroom, big windows, and peppier drive!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service