Say hello to the smart electric drive. It's the fun little electric car that keeps the sparks flying. Are you a match for the smart EV? Is going electric the right move for you? Take the electricurious quiz and find out! You just might find your soulmate. http://smart.cr/electricurious

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(sound of crickets chirping)

No public reply, yet......

Battery and parts must be amazingly expensive.....

Hi Larry.

We cannot comment on hypothetical situations and pricing because service is provided through our authorized smart centers based on required repairs. What we can note is that all electric drives come backed with a 4 year/50K mile warranty. Additionally, we offer a 10 year battery assurance plus option that 100% covers all battery maintenance or (if necessary) replacement costs. 

Larry Butler said:

(sound of crickets chirping)

No public reply, yet......

Battery and parts must be amazingly expensive.....

"

Let's play Worst Case Scenario for a minute......

I got in a wreck with my Smart ED, so this isn't a warranty-paid-for smiley face scenario.  I gotta buy replacement parts, at retail, from my dealer, the only source for parts and HE knows it.  I need these parts destroyed in the accident:

Main Battery pack - Mine's broken in half requiring total replacement - $put the dealer retail price here.

Main computer - smoke came out of it and it's fried - $put the dealer retail price here.

Main drive motor assembly, the whole case is broken, gearbox and all - $put the dealer retail price here"

WELL, if you are involved in an accident with an electric drive AND ALL those things in your example happen?  I would say that your vehicle is going to be a TOTAL INSURANCE WRITE OFF and your Gap insurance will pay for a NEW VEHICLE?  SO what's the problem?  The same thing would apply in an ICE version?

The battery pack is fully covered under the "Battery Assurance Plus" package.  $80 /mo for as long as you drive an electric?  I think that's really good peace of mind?

As far as a parts counter not having those specific part prices on hand, the electric drive hasn't been out that long (here in Virginia they have only been available since April)?  So they haven't had to order those parts, so they have no idea how much?

I have driven the 450 diesel model and I agree it is a great option.  However, there are huge costs associated with getting any engine US certified for road use?  Which is why we can only get the 999cc Mitsubishi drivetrain here in the states.

sUSAi Admin said:

Hi Larry.

We cannot comment on hypothetical situations and pricing because service is provided through our authorized smart centers based on required repairs. What we can note is that all electric drives come backed with a 4 year/50K mile warranty. Additionally, we offer a 10 year battery assurance plus option that 100% covers all battery maintenance or (if necessary) replacement costs. 

Reply by Larry Butler:

I think I just learned something about all our Smarts.  Is there no retail parts list forced upon all MB dealers to price parts for our cars?  Do they all make up parts prices?  No wonder the parts are priced so high?!  My dealer wants $550+ for the little plastic fuel pump!  Maybe we should start shopping dealers for parts, instead of just bending over and handing them our credit cards.  I've owned MB cars since my ''68 200D sedan.  When I wanted a replacement for the interior light plastic that melted in the sunny South, the parts guy looked up the part and price in a printed set of books.  That's what I paid, grudgingly.  Has that changed on Smarts?  If there is a parts price book, all I want you to tell me is how much a full battery pack retails for, the main drive motor and main controller computer.....out of that parts price list.  Now, I'm under the impression the price list doesn't exist!  I find that very scary, having had to fork over for a fuel pump I didn't need.  Why all the secrecy and deceit?

Is MBUSA going to just give us a new battery pack for the one cracked in half by the wreck?  That, too, is something totally "new" to this MB/Smart owner.  I had to fight them to get the always-defective, crazed sunroof replaced at your expense.  I cannot imagine walking into an MB dealer and them just handing over these 3 parts clearly caused by an accident and saying, "Those are covered under your "Battery Assurance Plus" package.  There's no charge." and smiling.  The owner of our MB dealership would go into coronary arrest!  The only thing he gives away without a fight is a pen to sign your check or credit card ticket.

I still don't understand why we can't just answer the question......it stinks like dead fish.

I leased a SmartED this past January and I live in Connecticut where the winter was unusually cold and long this year. Smarty (as we call him) gave an estimated range of 44 miles in the coldest days. When you start the car it begins with a baseline "efficiency" rating of 50%. If you drive reasonably conservatively, coast and use regen more than the brakes the efficiency goes up and so does the predicted mileage. I would often drive the 9 1/2 miles to work and have the car say I had 42 miles of range left. My commute is all suburb and city streets. If you're trying to go 65+ on the  highway you'll use up predicted miles faster than real miles. My 20 mile round trip would use about 30-35% of the battery so I think the 44 miles is conservative.

The car has a "departure time" charge feature which pre-heats the car using the house power. That helps because you're batteries don't have to warm the cabin. Plus it was really nice going out at 0 degrees and getting into a 72 degree car.

Now that it's warm Smarty is predicting 71 miles in the morning and that also seems pretty accurate. Commute now takes about 12%.

Dave G. said:

I am seriously considering getting a smart electric drive. Two general areas of concern have thus far caused me to hold off in doing so. The first is the range of the car. The second is the fact that I live in the Northeast where it is cold and snowy for half the year which could further affect the usability and range of the car. I drove one and really loved it! Undecided about what to do.....

I just took the plunge and leased two Smart EDs, one for me and one for the wife. We live in the Northeast too. It's summer now, so we're getting the full 70+ miles. Will have to wait for winter to let you know how we get along.

I LOVE my 2009 smart Brabus edition. Is there going to be a 451 Brabus Electric Drive??

No, unfortunately that is not in the works at this time. 

Dr ALEX said:

I LOVE my 2009 smart Brabus edition. Is there going to be a 451 Brabus Electric Drive??

Fantastic! Let us know how it goes!

Gerry Jose said:

I just took the plunge and leased two Smart EDs, one for me and one for the wife. We live in the Northeast too. It's summer now, so we're getting the full 70+ miles. Will have to wait for winter to let you know how we get along.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service