Cruise control, ESP Light and Check engine light on and car won't operate

Yesterday went to start the Smart car, engine started, would not shift into gear and ESP and Check engine light came on, tried restarting about 5 times, same results.  In checking past maintenance issues on this site I noticed that this has happened before when a Cruise control has been installed and hit a pot hole (in Wisconsin bad roads are everyywhere, so I can't say I hit a pothole to cause this). 

I had an Area451 speed control installed last July at the Wisconsin Dells Rally and it worked great but now I am wondering if this why my Smart  car is not working.  

Was wondering if anyone else had this problem,  specifically without having installed a Cruise Control?   Is it a car manufacturing issue or the Speed control add on issue?

My understanding is the Cruise Control modification makes this repair a non warranty item, any idea what it will cost to repair?   

Love the car!  

Tags: Check, Cruise, ESP, Light, and, car, control, engine, light, on, More…operate, won't

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, oddly when I had the engine on, shifter in neutral and was pushing the car backwards out of the garage for the tow truck, the transmision engaged. Drove the car to the Smart car dealer and their best shot was a faulty gas pedal assembly or problem related to the Cruise control. We replaced the gas pedal assembly as it was definable and car is running just fine,,, well who would hve thought?
Maybe your smart had a prius complex :) and wanted some gas pedal attention too :)

Jim and Kathy Wicker said:
Thank you, oddly when I had the engine on, shifter in neutral and was pushing the car backwards out of the garage for the tow truck, the transmision engaged. Drove the car to the Smart car dealer and their best shot was a faulty gas pedal assembly or problem related to the Cruise control. We replaced the gas pedal assembly as it was definable and car is running just fine,,, well who would hve thought?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service