I hate always having people tell me that my car is so unsafe and small.and I have gone thru the whole safety cell speech a thousand time.ending in the same come back "still too small for me" or "I doubt you would live thru a crash with an suv".
Do any other smart drivers go thru this?

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had folks tell me my car is unsafe, sure. I'm not entirely certain why I should disabuse them of the notion; *I* know what the crash test data says, and *I'm* the one driving the car. They can think what they like.

So usually the conversation goes something like this:

Them: "So, don't you ever worry, driving your daughter about in what essentially amounts to a soda can?"

Me: "Nope."

Them: "Man, *I* would. Glad it's your kid what's going to be a vegetable and not mine."

Me: "Tim, your kid's already a vegetable."

Them: "Oh, yeah. I forgot."
Lucky for me I haven't gotten any ignorant comments yet (except from two ignorant 'in-laws'). A referral to www.safeandsmart.com is my rebuttal. Soda cans are all aluminum not double layer high strength steel. Soda cans aren't built in a rollbar fashion like a NASCAR. If you drop a Soda can on the floor from five feet it will explode. A smart will just bounce.

Americans always fear what they are ignorant of, I think it comes from being raised on the boob tube. Why else is there a commercial every 5 minutes.

If you're a thinking person you'll GET smart. lol

MJB
Ha, The safety cell speech went so well before a coworker told me he knew a guy who ran a junkyard and had 5 smarts dropped off (that were badly crashed). Junkyard guy told my coworker that out of the 5, 3 died in the accident. So I've given up on the speech for a little while...
You can tell them to go to smartusa.com,click on the safty link,choose safe and smart.com,then go to owners stories and let them see for themselves.
5 smarts in a junkyard? I'd love to see photos of those cars. How did the guy know of the deceased, what hit them or what did they hit, a Mack Truck?. Second hand info is 'hearsay' and not admissible in court.

What other small car has a safety cell anyway? Don't waste your time 'defending' the smart. The car is not for everybody.

MJB
I remember that 3 children had died in one school here, so I was told. After further investigation came to find out ... no children died and none had the swine flu. Probably same problem here with the smart stories.
You are right on with that statement,how in the heck does that junk-yard guy know what happened.In all my years dealing with wrecking yards I have never known of descriptions of accidents following the car to it's final destination. All cars go to a holding lot for auction sales with no information other than estimated value and such. Like you said, Every thing else is just stories to make it look bad.

spicejax said:
5 smarts in a junkyard? I'd love to see photos of those cars. How did the guy know of the deceased, what hit them or what did they hit, a Mack Truck?. Second hand info is 'hearsay' and not admissible in court.

What other small car has a safety cell anyway? Don't waste your time 'defending' the smart. The car is not for everybody.

MJB
Yes. I get very annoyed. Especially when people refuse to hear the facts.

I wish Smart would air some commercials in the US touting the car's safety.
I always say: “I researched the safety thoroughly and I feel very safe with my smart. The car has a safety cell like a Nascar, ABS, Airbags everywhere and it sure beats any Bike :)
Usually after that, they look bewildered and realize that they talk out of a vaccum of knowledge, node their head and wish me a safe trip.
I have found that it is most often friends that ride motorcycles (who are more exposed) that express their concern that my car is small. Once I remind them of their motorcycles it frequently takes the wind out of their sails.
I haven't heard of ANYONE inside a Smart dying in a crash in the USA...Smart drivers drive the Smart...
Why does anyone feel like they have to defend anything?

My money, My business...Their opinion has no bearing on my life.

When I have had strange and/or possibly bothersome comments, I just reply with equally pointless statements (i.e. - "That's OK, I don't like tomatoes."). Then, as they scratch their head, just smile and walk away...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service