I hate always having people tell me that my car is so unsafe and small.and I have gone thru the whole safety cell speech a thousand time.ending in the same come back "still too small for me" or "I doubt you would live thru a crash with an suv".
Do any other smart drivers go thru this?

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just smile and maybe give them a wink, then leave. Keeps them guessing. or tell them they just lost their chance for a ride. A little insane laughter helps too.
Maybe five cars- probably not a single one of them is a smart. Just like the widely circulated photo on the internet of the "smart" crushed between a truck and an suv- turns out to me a Mitsubishi.
I don't pick up my Passion until Saturday but someone saw the brochure on my desk and immediately, they knew someone who bought three-one for himself, his wife and his daughter, and he and his wife both had the same problem with theirs and I must not do much shopping because you can't fit anything in them and so on...You would think someone was forcing her to buy one.
One of the great things about the Smart is that it discourages global over-population and expensive children...
The most comm on question seems to be "Do you drive it on the freeway?" followed by a shocked expression. I tell them it's small but it's not a toy-it's a real car. As to luggage space it's big enough for four cases of wine or eight cases of beer. That seems to satisfy just about everybody.
I say, "if you had to crash, would you rather be in a walnut or a watermelon?"
I'd rather be in my smart car. lol
MJB

Donald said:
I say, "if you had to crash, would you rather be in a walnut or a watermelon?"
I have noticed that gas sucking pickup truck drivers are the most critical of my Smart...I bring them to their knees by saying, "...but I am ready for $10 per gallon gas"...
This is a great reply (and some of the others above are pretty funny...). As the economy picks back up, prices will eventually follow. Recent news articles talk about how China's auto sales are picking up again. Theirs and India's increase in fuel consumption were part of the '07/'08 oil price craziness. Maybe not next year, but soon enough we will be back toward $4 per gallon gas.
Like Robert says, I'll be ready...

Let's be careful out there,
Pops and Carlito

Robert Stout said:
I have noticed that gas sucking pickup truck drivers are the most critical of my Smart...I bring them to their knees by saying, "...but I am ready for $10 per gallon gas"...
I don't see how the Fortwo would discourage anything. It would have to the only car available to really have that kind of role in engineering human behavior. True, those who don't have children will probably find it attractive because they do not need the extra seats or power. However, it also makes great second car for a family with children as often the parents will be headed in separate directions during the work week and both probably don't need a vehicle with more than two seats unless they carpool.

Population itself may not be the problem as much as per capita consumption. The Smart can certainly help many drivers to reduce the amount of resources consumed for personal transportation.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/fp2p/?p=1521

http://www.chrismartenson.com/forum/human-population-growth-really-...

Robert Stout said:
One of the great things about the Smart is that it discourages global over-population and expensive children...
I go through it as well. I simply say "Dude - my other vehicle is a Honda Shadow Ace 750. Do I look concerned?" What I get tired of is "Huh, huh - Did you wind that thing up this morning to get it going?" Some people are real goobers.
I have had my share of people ask me the question of do i feel safe in the car, and i will tell them of the tridion shell and then go as far as telling the story of a Fairfax, VA woman who survived a wreck in her Smart ( It was a head on ) which is on www.safeandsmart.com her name is Cindy. Now i did have a smart aleck in a Dodge Durango yell out his window "Your car is a death trap !!" I simply yelled back "Blow it out of your a***"!!
Then my nephew called the car a death trap, so i handed him a flyer on the safety of the car. Other than those two incidents i had general good reception on the car.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service